TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

20 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

I’ll take conversations that never happened for $500 please Alex. 

Meanwhile, after a year and a half into having the Garmin GFC 500, it's the best autopilot I've flown.   For a net $19K for the 4 servo model, why would you consider anything less, especially if that anything was vaporware?

• Like 1

Meanwhile, after a year and a half into having the Garmin GFC 500, it's the best autopilot I've flown.   For a net $19K for the 4 servo model, why would you consider anything less, especially if that anything was vaporware?

Does the Bravo have the elevator springs like my J does?

5 hours ago, NJMac said:

I was told to keep this on the low.  So don't tell them I shared this, ok?  Thanks.  Twas a bk guy who sent that to me. 

Screenshot_20210304-081323.png

This would be right in line with my previous prediction. The AV-30's were approved once I gave up and within a week of me tearing apart my panel to put in the Dual G5's. My plane is scheduled to go in for the GFC500 on April 26th so expect the TruTrack to be approved within a few weeks of that date! 

You're welcome in advance.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, donkaye said:

If only they'd used the pushrod servos instead of the cable servos on a pushrod airplane.   :(

4 hours ago, donkaye said:

Because my steam gauge panel and G430W won't drive the GFC 500, I need another $20K minimum plus installation in new panel instrumentation . . . . It's not "only" 19K . . . . It's more like 50K to use the Garmin AP.

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

so, all the Servo mounts are part of the plane already...

But do all servos by different autopilots get mounted at the same point? Do they have the same mounting configuration (location and orientation of bolts, bolt sizes) etc. In my understanding, vacuum plenums are like muscles: they shrink to pull and relax when push. Some Electronic servos that I saw have levers that make circular motions ...

Anyways , can't wait to get an affordable autopilot :)

Cheers,

F

19 hours ago, cliffy said:

Looking into something interesting

Anyone know why they say nothing earlier than a 65?

I have no way to confirm this - well I do but I don't know where my citation is.  The 64 and older have the curved undersurface of the ailerons which I read somewhere, again don't remember where, requires greater control input forces. If I was a betting man I would wager that's why Garmin started at 1965 and went newer

I’d be interested in seeing the certification criteria these companies are being subject to by the FAA. I can’t help but feel the FAA was advertising lightening up the certification criteria to enhance safety in older aircraft, while at the same time requiring so much data and testing as it becomes financially unreasonable for a company to provide an affordable system, therefore no liability on the Faa. 

The whole concept of a servo that moves the flight control driven by some navigational guidance, just doesn’t seem all that complicated. It’s simply doing the same thing the knucklehead behind the yoke would do, only with better attention and higher precision.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlyingDude said:

But do all servos by different autopilots get mounted at the same point? Do they have the same mounting configuration (location and orientation of bolts, bolt sizes) etc. In my understanding, vacuum plenums are like muscles: they shrink to pull and relax when push. Some Electronic servos that I saw have levers that make circular motions ...

Anyways , can't wait to get an affordable autopilot :)

Cheers,

F

What is nice about the Existing brackets....

It allows the next set of brackets to be designed using the mounting bolt patterns and locations to all be identical...

probably removes one step out of forty...

It will be one of the first solid steps when installing the new system...

Other things that changed that may be more important are the dimensions of the flight controls...

aerlerons changed over the years... rudder dimension changed after 65.... 65 has the short rudder...

The M20B  has the short rudder.... and a shorter throw, than the M20C...

A nice upgrade for the M20B.... get the rudder throw of the M20C...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

No, they’re completely different, the mounting is all custom. The install kit has the specific brackets for each model. The Garmin installation on Mooneys use the circular drum servos, not the armature servos for whatever reason. Pictures were posted here of the installation.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NJMac said:

I have no way to confirm this - well I do but I don't know where my citation is.  The 64 and older have the curved undersurface of the ailerons which I read somewhere, again don't remember where, requires greater control input forces. If I was a betting man I would wager that's why Garmin started at 1965 and went newer

I was thinking the same thing and as you I can not remember the reference I had for same. I think it was called "break out force" but I'm not sure but I do remember it was mentioned in reference to the two different ailerons.

I got to thinking what if the only change was that the aileron design was changed for less break out force and everything else remained the same (as I think it did but I need to verify)?

What if one could get an approval to use the later ailerons thereby allowing the TT A/P to be used on earlier airframes?

I wonder if a letter of "No Technical Objection" could be had from anyone at Mooney? Or a DER to sign off on same? 

Also wonder what the issue is because the servos are able to adjust torque and travel time/rate. I don't quite understand the issue here. 

The mind is just wandering right now

There is also the possibility of going "Primary Category" as was discussed  sometime back, here on MS.  

On 2/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, Sandman993 said:

With the autopilot priced around 7k and the 100hrs at labor rate of $100 per hr... you forgot the $10,000 for the acquisition and installation of 2 G5’s... yes, I know you can operate the gfc500 with one g5, but one g5 will leave you wanting. The full capability of the autopilot will only work with 2. Suffice it to say, you’ll buy your airplane again. 

Sorry, forgot to mention I have the two G5's, GMU11 and GAD29B

18 hours ago, Navi said:

Just to stir the pot...  :)

Had a note from Andrew  Tuesday. Among other things he mentioned that the "Mooney" cert project is finally "moving again"  :)

No dates targeted yet... 

Nav

Smokin fast! Moving along at a blistering pace. Good thing,
I heard those Mooney guys were going to auction Andy off to a piper drivers aero club... pretty sure they were cross dressers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Navi said:

Just to stir the pot...  :)

Had a note from Andrew  Tuesday. Among other things he mentioned that the "Mooney" cert project is finally "moving again"  :)

No dates targeted yet... 

Nav

Today’s Most Positive Outlook award, goes to Nav..! 

One of these days... it’s going to pay off!

:)

-a-

• Like 1