TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

That's a good bid if it includes both the GAD29B and the G5.  For just a little more money I'd add the 4th servo.  To get the most benefit from it, though, you need either the GTN 650 or 750.

A yaw damper for a short body? I don’t think that’s a good investment. Long bodies maybe and Bonanza V tails definitely.
I would not bother on my mid body J either, and $3000 is not a little money in my book.

I find it interesting that most people without yaw damper claim that it's not a good investment and not necessary...etc. I have yaw damper on a short body and personally think it's awesome. If it were to quit working, I would be scheduling repair immediately. It may not be necessary, but neither is autopilot. Same with trim. Why put half of the system in? Before you make a decision, go for a ride with all the options....I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ive never heard anybody that has electric trim or yaw damper say...."man, I sure wish I hadn't put that in."

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, steingar said:

One of my pals has been flying the same Skyhawk for decades.  He's now put in his second engine on this airplane, he ran out the first.  He just got the G5s and the Garmin autopilot.  He never flew with an autopilot before, but he sure likes it now.

I never said the gfc500 wasn’t a nice way to get around. It’s just sad they had to break it down to so many expensive parts. Back in 2016-17 they were leaking info about the new digital ap that was going to cost 5,000 amu, it was going to revolutionize the new age of autopilots. They finally bring it to market and it costs roughly 25k plus tax. I’m no mathematical genus, but isn’t that a 5x increase? In the meantime, other companies can build a self contained unit to retail at $5,000 plus 4 to 5k more for installation. Of course we now know what climbing in bed with Bk can do... it’ll leave you ruffed up, like a Bangkok hooker on Monday morning after the navy left town.

before I’ll spend another 25k+ along with a 6 or 8 month wait, pigs will fly. Especially after the $5,000 initial promise. I would have bit on $10,000 fly out.

3 hours ago, Sandman993 said:

I never said the gfc500 wasn’t a nice way to get around. It’s just sad they had to break it down to so many expensive parts. Back in 2016-17 they were leaking info about the new digital ap that was going to cost 5,000 amu, it was going to revolutionize the new age of autopilots. They finally bring it to market and it costs roughly 25k plus tax. I’m no mathematical genus, but isn’t that a 5x increase? In the meantime, other companies can build a self contained unit to retail at $5,000 plus 4 to 5k more for installation. Of course we now know what climbing in bed with Bk can do... it’ll leave you ruffed up, like a Bangkok hooker on Monday morning after the navy left town.

before I’ll spend another 25k+ along with a 6 or 8 month wait, pigs will fly. Especially after the $5,000 initial promise. I would have bit on $10,000 fly out.

But Big G's autopilot is in the 5K range. It just needs another 15-20K of other items in order to work, and each requires several AMU of installation.

No thanks . . . .

3 hours ago, Sandman993 said:

I know what you mean.  My pal retired with some money and decided to spend it.  He's got more wrapped up in that Skyhawk than it'll ever be worth, but what he said to me, "what else am I going to spend my money on?".  The clock is ticking, and none of us is getting any younger.  Do what you want when you want if you can.

Me, I haven't a dog in this. hunt.  I've got a roll control Stec and I think that's going to do me for some time.  Stec themselves have a latest and greatest, but I don't think they're in any hurry to get it certified for vintage Mooneys.  IF even they do I might think about it.  Then again, I might not.

6 hours ago, Wes said:

I find it interesting that most people without yaw damper claim that it's not a good investment and not necessary...etc. I have yaw damper on a short body and personally think it's awesome. If it were to quit working, I would be scheduling repair immediately. It may not be necessary, but neither is autopilot. Same with trim. Why put half of the system in? Before you make a decision, go for a ride with all the options....I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ive never heard anybody that has electric trim or yaw damper say...."man, I sure wish I hadn't put that in."

I have the STEC 60-2 with electric trim.....no yaw dampener.  Most of my flight hours are in heavies, with full fledged autopilots and pitch/yaw SAS dampeners, so I know what it does for large aircraft.  What type autopilot do you have and what does the yaw dampener change in terms of performance for an aircraft with one versus without?  Curious what performance I would gain by having one.

19 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

I admire the optimism of some of the posters in this thread, I really do, and I hate to be a naysayer, but we all need to face reality.  We are kicking a dead horse.

I gave up last year and put dual G5's in in preparation for the GFC500. My plane goes in the end of April to have that installed.

At the time I had AV-30s on order for about 18 months but gave up and halfway into the installation of hte G5's the AV-30s were approved. If that logic holds true then sometime at the end of April or beginning of May when the GFC500 is going in the TruTrack should be approved. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I admire the optimism of some of the posters in this thread, I really do, and I hate to be a naysayer, but we all need to face reality.  We are kicking a dead horse.

I tend to agree with you.  If you go to the BK and Honeywell websites, there are multiple mentions of the AeroCruze 230 replacement for KFC 150 legacy autopilots.  I couldn't find any reference to the AeroCruze 100 on either site.

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I gave up last year and put dual G5's in in preparation for the GFC500. My plane goes in the end of April to have that installed.

At the time I had AV-30s on order for about 18 months but gave up and halfway into the installation of hte G5's the AV-30s were approved. If that logic holds true then sometime at the end of April or beginning of May when the GFC500 is going in the TruTrack should be approved. :lol:

If that happens, I guess we all will owe you a vote of thanks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, whiskytango said:

I tend to agree with you.  If you go to the BK and Honeywell websites, there are multiple mentions of the AeroCruze 230 replacement for KFC 150 legacy autopilots.  I couldn't find any reference to the AeroCruze 100 on either site.

https://www.bendixking.com/en/products/ai/autopilots-and-indicators/aerocruze-100?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=21_BendixKing&utm_term=21_BK_Aerocuze100&utm_content=aerocruze100&s_kwcid=AL!7892!3!493923931804!b!!g!!aerocruze 100&gclid=CjwKCAiA65iBBhB-EiwAW253W4vFZnlYzBHbxKEkgLaF_AMpQE0VaUlzf5rVXzbg6wiSvkijbqqVSRoCO8wQAvD_BwE

Maybe I could turn the tail around backwards and tell them it’s a Cherokee.

in September or October of 2018, the TruTrak sales guy sat across the table, looked straight into my eyes and told me that it would be available for a Mooney next month.  I completely understand that they are not in control of the certification process, but doesn’t this sound disingenuous? 

30 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

in September or October of 2018, the TruTrak sales guy sat across the table, looked straight into my eyes and told me that it would be available for a Mooney next month.  I completely understand that they are not in control of the certification process, but doesn’t this sound disingenuous? 

Nah... sounds like exaggeration and hopium.

and we heard the “ paperwork is turned in and we waitin on the FFA :) “ line at least three more times after that! Lol

2 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Hmmmm... you can have the tail from my Warrior if your tail could help me catch a Mooney!!  :)

N

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Navi said:

Interesting but poorly written  if it was updated as of Dec 2020 as indicated. 

No mention of the Trio and  no mention that the TruTrak is now BK... :(

Nav

Yeah- not much of an update.  Maybe they edited a misspelled word.   I liked it because the focus on older aircraft and some ballpark pricing.  Helps me keep my expectations in check.

I appreciate they speak to the safety notion of digital autopilots. Not sure I appreciate how they swoon over garmin... and it’s always amazing how everyone manages to leave out the true cost in order to make it sound so reasonable. Maybe they think pilots are as mind weak as the common sheeple (Covid BS). Heck, maybe they can pick off a few at the edges... the low hanging fruit, as it were.

haha... and the poor cousin tru trak... I’m still cheering for them albeit I believe tt should NOT have crawled into bed with BK.

Andrew’s tee says “please don’t get none  in my hair”

19 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Yeah- not much of an update.  Maybe they edited a misspelled word.   I liked it because the focus on older aircraft and some ballpark pricing.  Helps me keep my expectations in check.

They prolly ran out of reports and reporters and decided to recycle an old article. They didn’t think anyone would notice. I for one was completely fooled.

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

I was told to keep this on the low.  So don't tell them I shared this, ok?  Thanks.  Twas a bk guy who sent that to me. 

Screenshot_20210304-081323.png

They aren't familiar with the product but they are telling you its going to be certified soon? Yeah.... that's not questionable at all!

• Like 1

I was told that two years ago for 2019 by TT themselves at OSH

"It'll be approved in 60 days"

Why do I feel that there's a little trolling going on here? Just waiting for a bite?

Why would someone "share" this info if asked to keep it on the low? Especially on a public forum.

Edited by cliffy
  • Like 1