TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

They will get approval about 2 days after I get back from mineral wells, getting the century affectionately known as  “crazy Ivan” tuned up.

ATC- 1 yankee echo, you seem to be off course and flying around like a moth!

1 yankee echo...nah, ship’s just doing a crazy Ivan. In an effort to make our planes safer, the goobmint is giving a maximum effort to drag out the certification process of the digital autopilot.

Many years ago I remember an organization promising to fund a real estate project I was working on.  I felt it was worth the risk of the $5,000 upfront fee. Their interest rate was considerably lower than that of a known entity.  I wishfully waited and waited, all the while the slick broker kept promising it was coming.  I finally had the courage to give up on them and went with the known entity and completed a successful project.

Do you guys get the message?  For the past year and a half (after I got the initial bug worked out) I have enjoyed a remarkable first class next generation autopilot by a Company who puts out and supports great products.

Can you "waiters" say the same thing?  Life is passing you by.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, donkaye said:

Many years ago I remember an organization promising to fund a real estate project I was working on.  I felt it was worth the risk of the $5,000 upfront fee. Their interest rate was considerably lower than that of a known entity.  I wishfully waited and waited, all the while the slick broker kept promising it was coming.  I finally had the courage to give up on them and went with the known entity and completed a successful project.

Do you guys get the message?  For the past year and a half (after I got the initial bug worked out) I have enjoyed a remarkable first class next generation autopilot by a Company who puts out and supports great products.

Well... not on the same level as the guys waiting for TruTak but I have been waiting patiently for the GFC 500 for my C model Mooney.  They keep pushing it back as well.  When they finally got it approved for the early short bodies....whoops.... I'm sorry, we are going to stop at the 1965 model.  We need more time for you older guys.  Mine is a 1963.  I have received many different answers to when it may be available for the 63.  Autopilot Life is passing me by but not by my choice.  I have only one option and that is to wait. Well, I guess I could just go and buy another airplane that already has an autopilot....that is an option I suppose.:wacko:

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, donkaye said:

....all the while the slick broker kept promising it was coming.  I finally had the courage to give up on them and went with the known entity.....

I like to dream about the next great thing as much as the next guy.  Maybe more.  
But like you I didn’t wait for the $2K autopilot or a 300 knot new Mooney chimera to materialize. I’m happy to have flown with successively more capable Garmin panels for over a decade. 
Looking forward to new aviation innovations, but not just waiting for them. 

Unfortunately it sounds as if the BK is THE only option for my 62C.  Garmin just told me.. "I can put in a request for a specific exception, but the certification team only makes these kind of caveats with more than sufficient scientific justification, and your airframe just isn't going to meet those requirements" 

I never would have thouhgt the Early C's were so different from the laters for certification purposes

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, donkaye said:

The early model Mooney owners' lives may be passing them by, but it's not their fault.  C, D, E, F and G owners are waiting for either the GFC500 or the TruTrak (Aerocruze 100) to be to be certified. 

814896310_ScreenShot2020-12-02at9_55_22AM.png.ca81720cd5b61490c4c1ff64efcca45c.png

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The early model Mooney owners' lives may be passing them by, but it's not their fault.  C, D, E, F and G owners are waiting for either the GFC500 or the TruTrak (Aerocruze 100) to be to be certified. 

814896310_ScreenShot2020-12-02at9_55_22AM.png.ca81720cd5b61490c4c1ff64efcca45c.png

And the asterisks mean that they are stopping at the 1965 year model.  Sorry for you 1964 and older.  Although they do say they will be working on the A and B models.  So I am not sure what is up with the very early C models.

18 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Well, that's embarrassing.  My apologies to those waiting for certification of the GFC 500.  My comments were referring the AeroCruze which always seemed to be dragged out with promises.

1 hour ago, Lionudakis said:

Unfortunately it sounds as if the BK is THE only option for my 62C.  Garmin just told me.. "I can put in a request for a specific exception, but the certification team only makes these kind of caveats with more than sufficient scientific justification, and your airframe just isn't going to meet those requirements" 

I never would have thouhgt the Early C's were so different from the laters for certification purposes

It’s a cost and return of $ for them. Probably not worth their efforts to get you squared away.

on the guise of making airplanes safer... they become feckless... you know who I mean.

1 hour ago, Greg Ellis said:

And the asterisks mean that they are stopping at the 1965 year model.  Sorry for you 1964 and older.  Although they do say they will be working on the A and B models.  So I am not sure what is up with the very early C models.

And no one has asked them WHY? they stop at 65? 

I know if I was talking to them I would ask WHY 

1 minute ago, cliffy said:

And no one has asked them WHY? they stop at 65? 

I know if I was talking to them I would ask WHY 

I did ask them why.  And they gave me a vague answer about changes in the structure of the very early C models to the later C models and it caused them to have to rework the autopilot or some words to that effect.  I posted the response on this forum but I cannot seem to find it or the email they sent me.  What is disturbing is the email I received was basically we are working on it but give us some more time.  The response that Lionudakis received from them was more along the lines with it ain't gonna happen. "Your airframe does not meet those requirements"

I found the copy of the e-mail I received form Garmin about the GFC 500 for early Mooneys.  This is what they told me...

Good Morning Greg,

The main reason is the Mooney M20C models before 1964 are structurally different and requires a different installation kit/setup to complete. We are currently have this on schedule for early 2021 to start the certification process. 

Regards,

Chad

Aviation Support

5 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

I found the copy of the e-mail I received form Garmin about the GFC 500 for early Mooneys.  This is what they told me...

Good Morning Greg,

The main reason is the Mooney M20C models before 1964 are structurally different and requires a different installation kit/setup to complete. We are currently have this on schedule for early 2021 to start the certification process. 

Regards,

Chad

Aviation Support

Maybe they'll do it right in the short bodies instead of the cluster they put in the others.

13 hours ago, Sandman993 said:

They will get approval about 2 days after I get back from mineral wells, getting the century affectionately known as  “crazy Ivan” tuned up.

ATC- 1 yankee echo, you seem to be off course and flying around like a moth!

1 yankee echo...nah, ship’s just doing a crazy Ivan. In an effort to make our planes safer, the goobmint is giving a maximum effort to drag out the certification process of the digital autopilot.

I'll do what I can to help get the Tru-Track certified. I put a pre-order in for the AV-30's when it was Aerovonics in April 2019. Then I waited and waited after uAvionix bought them out and they kept pushing it back another quarter. Finally I gave up and bought dual G5's earlier this year. My thinking was two part, one I wanted to upgrade the panel and remove the vacuum system, and two if the GFC500 was approved first I was going to put it in which would require a G5. I was halfway into the install when the AV-30's were approved...

If the same holds true for the autopilots you just need to wait for the GFC500 to be approved for the short bodies. Once my plane goes into the shop for the GFC500 install the TruTrak should be approved before the install is done. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I'll do what I can to help get the Tru-Track certified. I put a pre-order in for the AV-30's when it was Aerovonics in April 2019. Then I waited and waited after uAvionix bought them out and they kept pushing it back another quarter. Finally I gave up and bought dual G5's earlier this year. My thinking was two part, one I wanted to upgrade the panel and remove the vacuum system, and two if the GFC500 was approved first I was going to put it in which would require a G5. I was halfway into the install when the AV-30's were approved...

If the same holds true for the autopilots you just need to wait for the GFC500 to be approved for the short bodies. Once my plane goes into the shop for the GFC500 install the TruTrak should be approved before the install is done. :lol:

Well Get it in there for the benefit of the rest of us!!  :-)

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Take one for the team 8)

The older short bodies have a few differences than the 65s and newer...

The changes are not a secret... to anyone in the Mooney world...

But even slight changes, makes a repeat of a lot of work to be done...

That’s what makes the factory built airplane superior to the home built alternative...

Sure it’s a drag having to wait while Big G appears to think your AMUs aren’t worth as much as the LB owner’s AMUs...

but... how many long bodies are there compared to early M20s...

We can sit around here discussing tactics... write letters to our congressman... contact AOPA...

Or start a letter campaign to your favorite Garmin guy... there has got to be somebody leading the AP group at big G...

Find out who that guy is and let him know what you would like from them...

Short body AMUs spend the same as long body AMUs... big G is an equal opportunity supplier to both SBs and LBs...

Ask not what Big G can do for you... Tell Big G what you need... - JFK, if he was a Mooney pilot...

The SB priority has been set by somebody internal to Garmin... they don’t know you, and haven’t heard from you recently...

Get back on their radar screen! 

You have to want it to make it happen!

How much do you want it?

:)

PP thoughts only... not an avionics supplier...

Best regards,

-a-