TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

11 hours ago, Sandman993 said:

Not a jab, just over promised and under delivered.

Greg, you know I'll be the first one there. However, just like everybody else on this forum, I would just like to have a realistic date of wind this is going to be released. I've been waiting over two and a half years I'm sure others have been waiting that long if not longer. It's starting to be laughable. By the way, yo me a phone call.

2 hours ago, Bob R said:

Greg, you know I'll be the first one there. However, just like everybody else on this forum, I would just like to have a realistic date of wind this is going to be released. I've been waiting over two and a half years I'm sure others have been waiting that long if not longer. It's starting to be laughable. By the way, yo me a phone call.

I know Bob, it is frustrating on all ends of the spectrum.  It is hard to get info to the pilots and the owners when we too do not have the right time frames and they over promise as well.  On our side, the Dealers, we are so frustrated because we relay their info to our customers and then we are the heels.  I don't blame people for getting upset and know that it is completely frustrating,  We are all in this industry and know things rarely go as planned on time frames.  And I will try to call this weekend my friend!  In Phoenix working on a Mooney, they say it is hot here. LOL.  

3 hours ago, Bob R said:

I've only been flying GA again for a few years but it appears to me that NOBODY delivers on time so we might as well get used to it.  So this is no particular knock on TruTrak/BK.  There are a few solutions:

1.  We (the manufacturer) are developing a gizmo that will be amazing some time in the next few years but due to inability to forecast FAA delays, we can't say when that will be.  In other words, don't provide an estimated availability time frame.  Just let people know you're working on it, occasionally let them know you are still working on it, provide an occasional progress update, and then let them know when it is available.

2.  Use the Murphy's law for time estimation.  Divide the numeric portion by two and increase the units by one.  A gadget that is supposed to be available in 6 months will really be here in 3 years.

In all fairness to TruTrak in the Mooney situation, they sent the paperwork to the FAA a LONG time ago, and are simply waiting, with no control whatsoever on when the FAA gets it done. I am confident that the FAA people working on this have not been doing anything during this COVID time. The Bendix/King and Aviall situation is what everybody with an approved model is dealing with right now, which is leaving many dealers dumfounded. Fortunately for the Mooney owners, by the time it is approved, the supply chain may have worked out its many kinks so people can get their auto pilot in a reasonable time after order.

• Like 1

Just curious - Is there any way to put pressure on the FAA to do their job in an efficient and responsive manner?

Is there anything like the FAA Ombudsman (in that arena) to help push things through the bureaucracy?

Its not like this is the first application for a TT autopilot system. Its already approved for other airplanes, This is not rocket science (and I once knew a for real rocket scientist!).

I once had a request in for 2 years to get a VOR Check Point surveyed at our airport and finally made a squawk to the Ombudsman Office for that service and got it done in 3 weeks.   

2 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

I know Bob, it is frustrating on all ends of the spectrum.  It is hard to get info to the pilots and the owners when we too do not have the right time frames and they over promise as well.  On our side, the Dealers, we are so frustrated because we relay their info to our customers and then we are the heels.  I don't blame people for getting upset and know that it is completely frustrating,  We are all in this industry and know things rarely go as planned on time frames.  And I will try to call this weekend my friend!  In Phoenix working on a Mooney, they say it is hot here. LOL.  

It's getting so bad Greg that if Garmin comes out with a GFC 500 I might have to go there. Did I say that with my outside voice?

Bob

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cliffy said:

Just curious - Is there any way to put pressure on the FAA to do their job in an efficient and responsive manner?

Is there anything like the FAA Ombudsman (in that arena) to help push things through the bureaucracy?

Its not like this is the first application for a TT autopilot system. Its already approved for other airplanes, This is not rocket science (and I once knew a for real rocket scientist!).

I once had a request in for 2 years to get a VOR Check Point surveyed at our airport and finally made a squawk to the Ombudsman Office for that service and got it done in 3 weeks.   

You realize you are speaking of the organization that has created the monster we're certified and non-certified parts have such a disparity that it's a crime. I doubt they'll do shit until this Boeing thing is over I think that's all they care about it the moment. I most certainly hope I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, Jesse Saint said:

In all fairness to TruTrak in the Mooney situation, they sent the paperwork to the FAA a LONG time ago, and are simply waiting, with no control whatsoever on when the FAA gets it done. I am confident that the FAA people working on this have not been doing anything during this COVID time. The Bendix/King and Aviall situation is what everybody with an approved model is dealing with right now, which is leaving many dealers dumfounded. Fortunately for the Mooney owners, by the time it is approved, the supply chain may have worked out its many kinks so people can get their auto pilot in a reasonable time after order.

I'm most certainly not blaming truetrac or PK at this moment. This is squirrely on the fa they really don't care about general aviation except for making everything cost an arm and a leg.

13 hours ago, cliffy said:

the AOPA seems to have the ombudsman position at the FAA...

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, Wes said:

Bob...FYI....Garmin is working on the GFC500 certification for short bodies as we speak.

Yes but at what cost all in?  50% of the airframe value for many?

Edited by cliffy

Don't know total cost....I'm sure it varies based on yaw/no yaw....which shop does install....what mods to the panel to install the 507... etc. Whatever the cost is, it's aviation. I haven't found anything in aviation to be cheep except the owner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cliffy said:

Yes but at what cost all in?  50% of the airframe value for many?

The solution is to buy a more expensive airplane.  Then the percentage cost of the autopilot install will be lower. ;)

Edited by Bob - S50
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My hope is when TruTrak does release, it will integrate with Garmin GNC 355 and the like. I’d like to be able to do that and still have a reasonable cost install...

-Don

I’m looking at the same setup for my C. I don’t see why it should not work. TT is compatible with every other Garmin GPS. My hangar neighbor has a GTN750 with a TT in his Cessna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of us only want a cheaper alternative to the Big Gorilla for straight and level, left and right tracking. Don't want or need approach tracking. Day, VFR Cross Country is where it is at for us. KISS, enjoy the trip, no pressure. Do want the "one button push" for straight and level for the right seat though. THAT IS a BIG DEAL.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

Yes, but not legally yet.  And it will not fly and ILS/LOC/VOR approach, just GPS.

FWIW...

A lot of us Piper drivers have been literally piling on the hours on our TruTrac APs...

Universally outstanding results, and the software upgrade has increased it's utility significantly..

We have found a way to LEGALLY use the TT as an ASSIST for approaches by using the track function to fly the approach down to the legal minimum (700 ft) and using the preset Alt  function it will fly the missed to the reset Fix.. Legally

Many have also tested the full coupled approach function in VFR conditions, and it is deadly accurate... hopefully it will be approved for this someday..

But" cliffy" has it right, the VAST majority are enjoying an AP that flies the plane very well in VFR cross country OPS, and appreciating the enhanced safety the AP offers to the average VFR/ light IFR pilot..

For the price and the simple installation, dollars to performance, the value and benefit is  "off the scale". It has  proven very reliable, VERY few issues in thousands of installations.

We hope to add the Aspen this winter to our Warrior, but the software update we are awaiting for the Aspen is another approval mired in the FAA fiasco... :(

Nav

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, hammdo said:

My hope is when TruTrak does release, it will integrate with Garmin GNC 355 and the like. I’d like to be able to do that and still have a reasonable cost install...

-Don

Don’t hold your breath.  Garmin is not known for open interface with non Garmin products.