TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

That’s wonderful but I don’t already have two G5’s so I’m not prepared to lay out $25K for an autopilot.
If that happens I'll be pulling the Aspen, selling it, and doing to Garmin setup. Added benefit is coupled approaches.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It's a race for me.  I'm putting in an autopilot as soon as once get's STC'd.  First to the table gets my money.  Stec has an STC, but due to price, they aren't even a contender.  TruTrak vs. GFC500.  The fight to the death.

• Like 1

Just so everyone knows, there is really no "List" to be on through TruTrak or BK.  I spoke with Tom Olswang and Andrew Barker this week and there is no "Pre-Order List".  We spoke at length about this and referenced some of these posts and they may have taken some info and what not, but as far as a "List to get on", there isn't any.  That is straight from the horse's mouth and everything is ready they are waiting on the FAA currently.  

Ok, I am ready for your jabs now!  LOL

• Like 4

On 3/13/2020 at 3:45 PM, Baker Avionics said:

Just so everyone knows, there is really no "List" to be on through TruTrak or BK.  I spoke with Tom Olswang and Andrew Barker this week and there is no "Pre-Order List".  We spoke at length about this and referenced some of these posts and they may have taken some info and what not, but as far as a "List to get on", there isn't any.  That is straight from the horse's mouth and everything is ready they are waiting on the FAA currently.  

Ok, I am ready for your jabs now!  LOL

Their website still indicates that there is. 

M20 Pre-Order.jpg

48 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

Their website still indicates that there is. 

M20 Pre-Order.jpg

Ok, well, go ahead and pre-order then.  Just trying to relay info as I get it from Andrew Barker himself.  They originally put that out to gauge production and to see the response and they got 74 actual orders for them.  Now, there is no more Pre-Orders underway and we can play semantics but either way, I am just trying to let you all know that it is not "Open" or a "Real thing".  

This is straight out of my email traffic with Andrew:

"I am highly doubtful of 740 pre-orders. I’m thinking maybe 74. But there will be cancellations too. I wouldn’t be too concerned about getting an order in this minute. When we get the Mooney kit added to the BK catalog, orders can be taken. We need to finalize all parts before we can do that. 

TT took pre-orders, to gauge first production batch size. There should be plenty to go around when released."

Andrew

I was contacted by someone off of here to pre order as there were about 740 already, as he was told by others in the community. All I did is went straight to the source because I have an open line to him.

Just trying to help.  Heed if you will, don't if you don't want to.  Your call, your money.  No hurt feelings here.  Just want to get you all accurate info, if you want it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

Just be careful with that if you do!  There truly is not a "List" or a "Pre-Order Slot"

This is true.  I have my own list that TruTrak said they would ship first or give priority.  Since the buy out my "slots" are gone but I have been in regular contact with Bendix King.  It will be a while before any Mooney (when approved) kits ship, the approved piper kits are on a 5-9week back order now.   I have not and will not take any payment until there is a ship date, I would be careful of anyone who wants your money now.

The good news continues to be I have have a lot of happy customers and the AP works great and is still a good value.  I know rubbing salt in the wound until there is an approval...

• Like 3

On 2/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, Robert67 said:

Great article. Can anyone tell me what kind of vacuum pump to use to test the system when the aircraft is on jacks.  

Thanks

Greg, you crack me up buddy. However, I'm sure you're right. If there is a list of 740 pre-orders I should be way at the top. I pre-ordered two plus ears ago .

BOB

PS THE WINE IS ON THE WAY!!!

On 3/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, Navi said:

Worse than you think....  :(

The corporation "TruTrak" is still alive of necessity after all these months.. the paperwork to TRANSFER the STC's to Honeywell, submitted months ago,  is STILL in the hands of the FAA!!   Wondered why the website was still up...   so the TT website has to stay alive with the approved manuals etc..

Easy, but....   REALLY!!????

Looks like the TT<> BK guys are pushing a rope...   :(

Nav

It’s not that the FAA is just sitting on their hands, when BK bought TT it really complicated the process. From a regulatory standpoint the FAA has to start over with the approval because everything TT submitted for the STC approval could have potentially changed; Management, the staff, the location, tooling, procedures, operational control of the processes. All of these things are important. it’s not just as simple as approving the data. 
the entire process of how the AP goes from raw materials all the way to shipping to a customer has to NOW be incorporated into ALL of BK’s manuals and approved.

In addition the FAA inspectors that are assigned to BK are surely not the same as TT, so the BK Inspectors are probably not up to speed with TT manuals or procedures 
I'm not saying the Feds aren’t partly to blame; but if TT would have waited for the Mooney to be added to the AML before he signed it over to BK this would be a non issue. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dbrown said:

It’s not that the FAA is just sitting on their hands, when BK bought TT it really complicated the process. From a regulatory standpoint the FAA has to start over with the approval because everything TT submitted for the STC approval could have potentially changed; Management, the staff, the location, tooling, procedures, operational control of the processes. All of these things are important. it’s not just as simple as approving the data. 
the entire process of how the AP goes from raw materials all the way to shipping to a customer has to NOW be incorporated into ALL of BK’s manuals and approved.

In addition the FAA inspectors that are assigned to BK are surely not the same as TT, so the BK Inspectors are probably not up to speed with TT manuals or procedures 
I'm not saying the Feds aren’t partly to blame; but if TT would have waited for the Mooney to be added to the AML before he signed it over to BK this would be a non issue. 

All valid points!

But easier I would think, to verify same, -  than to create anew.. Honeywell is well known to the FAA...

And recent events will slow whatever even more...  :(

Nav

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Navi said:

All valid points!

But easier I would think, to verify same, -  than to create anew.. Honeywell is well known to the FAA...

And recent events will slow whatever even more...  :(

Nav

Agreed, 

I decided to pull the trigger on a new interior and panel upgrade from ye old shotgun a couple weeks ago.
my hopes are not very high for this and the Garmin 500 isn’t an option for people like me who do their own work. 

15 hours ago, Dbrown said:

Agreed, 

I decided to pull the trigger on a new interior and panel upgrade from ye old shotgun a couple weeks ago.
my hopes are not very high for this and the Garmin 500 isn’t an option for people like me who do their own work. 

Same boat here. I went for an aspen I'm putting in right now.  I asked about buying a GFC500 (assuming it beat TT to market) from a local dealer and doing most of the work myself as an ap/ia, and sign it off. No way Garmin will allow that, nor the dealer. I'll wait for TT

50 minutes ago, Lionudakis said:

Same boat here. I went for an aspen I'm putting in right now.  I asked about buying a GFC500 (assuming it beat TT to market) from a local dealer and doing most of the work myself as an ap/ia, and sign it off. No way Garmin will allow that, nor the dealer. I'll wait for TT

NO question puts Garmin and their dealers into a tighter tailspin like the "Self install" question…  :)

Even if you are a fully qualified installer...

It is a tightly controlled business model..

N... 

FWIW...

Just got my upgraded vers 4 TT back in the aircraft...  (the Warrior)

Hoping for a test flight soon....

Outstanding service by Mid-continent/BK.  Responsive, professional, personable...  They used good packing, shipping was fast and accurate, tracking info was prompt and accurate. Good paper trail...

I think we are in good hands with the TT product despite all the changes...

As soon as Aspen upgrade their software to send the alt flag to the TT (and other APs) , the project starts...

Nav

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Navi said:

NO question puts Garmin and their dealers into a tighter tailspin like the "Self install" question…  :)

Even if you are a fully qualified installer...

It is a tightly controlled business model..

N... 

Great way to put it. It did exactly that ! 

Welcome..

I have heard similar from others... but this is my direct experience..  I understand Mid-Continent has a great reputation with all its business dealings...

They seem to be familiar with the TT's operation and "buttonology" as well, either by training or experience .. (or both)  They have been working on TTs for years in the experimental world... and the certified version is very similar.