TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

So, let’s just say that a miracle causes the FAA to release, approve or whatever it is that we are waiting for,  in such an event, how long will it be from that point before my avionics shop can get what he needs to install in my plane?

As of Dec 15, the wait was about 80 days. I spoke to a Piper pilot yesterday and he just got his  at about 90 days. He asked for my TT install docs , so I asked him how long it took.. .   He has the install booked for Feb, so it worked out for him...

I understand BK resources has upped the production rate, but the orders keep coming in...

Nav

Some news...

Earlier today....

Aspen is now shipping E5s with the new 2.11 software, unlocking the full HSI , traffic and some other stuff. (full details on their site)  Air data is available with another 500 buck unlock.

The new software   DOES NOT have the vert flags for ALT and VS.  It is however, in the works, first for the GFC 600 and STec 3100, then the TT.  Tey are moving up the sched for the flags for the TT, as the market penetration of the TT has not gone unnoticed..

Nav

Mac has always been the optimistic type.  Gotta admire him for that.
I always used to say, better late than pregnant. It was a joke I quickly stopped using but I still think it's funny.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

I always used to say, better late than pregnant. It was a joke I quickly stopped using but I still think it's funny.

That joke would have put me sleeping next to the plane in an unheated hangar.  Burrr

I’d really like to update my stec 50 with a new trutrak but luckily it still works pretty good. 

• Like 1

FWIW>>     When I was waiting for the PA-28 STC

It was sent to FAA in mid Nov 2017, TT got the paperwork in hand Feb 6 2018.   So , that MAY place the same timeline at about mid Feb for the Mooneys.. Maybe....

If anything might be consistent.. and it's not...
I would NOT take this to the bank however..  :)

Nav

Could have a serious impact. Others STCs seem to be delayed as well, but there is no standard turn around time so....  ?

FAA, is double dotting "Is" on everything, and are working is a hyper sensitive environment...  understandable I guess…  :(

A pressure cooker now...

N

Garmin seems to have found an effective lubrication recipe to move things through the FAA approval process. Perhaps Garmin started a very long time ago... or currently have people better at getting these things through the FAA process now.

Everyone wants TT/BK to succeed... but this thread has been going on for a fair amount of time now.

• Like 1

You make a good point David.  One of Al Mooney’s skills that he developed VERY early was walking things through.the CAA or whatever it was called then.  It was a very valuable talent.  It might be that Garmin is large enough that they have a group whose while purpose in being is to work things through the FAA.  Or it might just be they have enough clout to get their stuff to the front of the line.  Whatever it is, it’s not working in favor of the Trutrak.

I personally am almost to the 1 1/2 year mark since being told to my face in person by a Trutrak employee at the Mooney Max event that it would be certified and available in November.  Where I made my mistake was assuming that he was implying November of 2018.  They still have a one in twelve chance of it being in November.  It’s just the year that gets kind of vague.

• Like 6

This is accurate...

Garmin IS big enough to have some people whose ONLY purpose there is to shepherd STCs through the system, and being at this full time have naturally built a relationship with their counterparts at FAA (according to others on other forums that claim to have knowledge of this)

All projects progress well with known quantities  , and know one knows when Garmin submits on their projects.  The latest round displays came as a surprise to their DEALERS  as well as us...   our local dealer got the news here the same day as we did.

This theory certainly passes the reasonableness test anyway.

The Garmin application for the STC approval could have been in for months..

This phenomenon of potential customers being observers of the STC approval process with a manufacturer is very new ......

N

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 6:37 PM, Navi said:

As of Dec 15, the wait was about 80 days. I spoke to a Piper pilot yesterday and he just got his  at about 90 days. He asked for my TT install docs , so I asked him how long it took.. .   He has the install booked for Feb, so it worked out for him...

I understand BK resources has upped the production rate, but the orders keep coming in...

Nav

You gotta be s**tting me! It takes another 90 days to get the autopilot delivered after you order?? 

Well, its 3rd hand info..  but believed to be reliable, verified by others..

The stunning market acceptance of the Vizion is a well known fact and totally surprised TT.

BKs involvement has upped the production rate,  ( TT topped out at about 30-35 per week) but the orders have accelerated as well. When the Mooney STC hits the road, it will probably slip further,  as the pent up demand among Mooneyites is huge. 

Certainly a success story, but not for the customers waiting.   The demand continues to exceed the supply..

N

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NJMac said:

I never used that joke, but we have been late 10 times and pregnant 10 times, so I must not resemble that remark.

• Like 1

Well everyone knows the Earth is flat and gravity is just a government conspiracy to keep we the people down.
I'm glad to know you agree/believe this too. Its far too often people like to deny the truth you so openly shared.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1