TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

Bygones be bygones I'm willing to give BK an honest try in getting back into their previous place in aviation. What they have right now looks interesting for future progress. Time will tell. There's no doubt that a large number of older Mooneys are waiting for the TT A/P. They  will sell a bunch of them to us when they get the STC done. My money is burning a hole in my pocket right now. 

If it doesn't happen I have a Cessna 172 I'm looking at and may go there to get an A/P. I'm tired of hand flying. 

Since were all dying to know about the how the Mooney certification is coming along, Andrew and I are holding a webinar on Sept. 24 at 5pm MDT to talk about the upcoming certs on the TT products and how BK and TT are going to work moving forward. You can register using the link below: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In answer to your question about coupled approaches, none of the already approved installations are able AT THIS TIME to do coupled approaches.  Below is a cut from the AFM  In addition, it is restricted to use no lower than 700 feet AGL due to the certification requirements it is approved under right now. 

2.4.Other Limitations • This autopilot has not been evaluated by the FAA to meet the certification requirements for coupled instrument procedures, including coupled approaches. Therefore, these types of procedures are not authorized without further evaluation and approval. •

Having a good usable autopilot for 98% of our flying for $5000 is a God send. I can hand fly any approach I want without worry I don't need to spend 3 or 4 times that much just so I can do a few approaches a year (and BTW I'm day VFR by choice now). If you want full approach capability you're going to have to spend a whole lot more money to make it happen.  Trust me, it ain't easy to get full approach capability for an autopilot. It takes a lot of time and money to go that route. That last 500' costs a LOT OF MONEY. 

Many have no idea the amount of work involved just trying to do what they are doing now let alone go for coupled approaches. 

As I said before, this is NOT an autopilot for an LPV down to 200' or a CAT III 300' RVR flying. Its a basic (well maybe more than basic) autopilot for CRUISING flight going from point A to point B in comfort. Quite usable for what  most of us need. And need it I do!

Here's all the Garmin stuff it can use. Even though the 355 is not listed I'll bet $10 bucks it'll be on the list shortly

GNS 430/430W/530/530W................................................................................................................6 4.1.2. GTN 650/750 .............................................................................................................................................6 4.1.3. GNC 155XL/250XL/300XL...................................................................................................................7 4.1.4. GNS 480/ CNX 80 .....................................................................................................................................7 4.1.5. GX50/60/65 with GPSS .........................................................................................................................8 4.1.6. GX50/60/65 without GPSS...................................................................................................................8 1. Garmin GPSMAP 296...............................................................................................................................9 4.2.2. Garmin GPSMAP 395/396/495/496 ............................................................................................10 4.2.3. Garmin Aera 500/510/550/560/660 without GDL 39.........................................................10 4.2.4. Garmin Aera 500/510/550/560/660 with GDL 39 ...............................................................10 4.2.5. Garmin 695/696....................................................................................................................................11 4.2.6. Garmin 695/696 with GDL39 ..........................................................................................................11 4.2.7. Garmin 795/796................................................................

Edited by cliffy
Add gps info

Since were all dying to know about the how the Mooney certification is coming along, Andrew and I are holding a webinar on Sept. 24 at 5pm MDT to talk about the upcoming certs on the TT products and how BK and TT are going to work moving forward. You can register using the link below:    https://honeywell.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KjsXVx-8RlOIZACSSBRzDQ
I'm kinda hard to nail down. Will you share the presentation for consumption at my leisure at a later time?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

In answer to your question about coupled approaches, none of the already approved installations are able AT THIS TIME to do coupled approaches.  Below is a cut from the AFM  In addition, it is restricted to use no lower than 700 feet AGL due to the certification requirements it is approved under right now. 
2.4.Other Limitations • This autopilot has not been evaluated by the FAA to meet the certification requirements for coupled instrument procedures, including coupled approaches. Therefore, these types of procedures are not authorized without further evaluation and approval. •
Having a good usable autopilot for 98% of our flying for $5000 is a God send. I can hand fly any approach I want without worry I don't need to spend 3 or 4 times that much just so I can do a few approaches a year (and BTW I'm day VFR by choice now). If you want full approach capability you're going to have to spend a whole lot more money to make it happen.  Trust me, it ain't easy to get full approach capability for an autopilot. It takes a lot of time and money to go that route. That last 500' costs a LOT OF MONEY. 
Many have no idea the amount of work involved just trying to do what they are doing now let alone go for coupled approaches. 
As I said before, this is NOT an autopilot for an LPV down to 200' or a CAT III 300' RVR flying. Its a basic (well maybe more than basic) autopilot for CRUISING flight going from point A to point B in comfort. Quite usable for what  most of us need. And need it I do!
Here's all the Garmin stuff it can use. Even though the 355 is not listed I'll bet $10 bucks it'll be on the list shortly
GNS 430/430W/530/530W................................................................................................................6 4.1.2. GTN 650/750 .............................................................................................................................................6 4.1.3. GNC 155XL/250XL/300XL...................................................................................................................7 4.1.4. GNS 480/ CNX 80 .....................................................................................................................................7 4.1.5. GX50/60/65 with GPSS .........................................................................................................................8 4.1.6. GX50/60/65 without GPSS...................................................................................................................8 1. Garmin GPSMAP 296...............................................................................................................................9 4.2.2. Garmin GPSMAP 395/396/495/496 ............................................................................................10 4.2.3. Garmin Aera 500/510/550/560/660 without GDL 39.........................................................10 4.2.4. Garmin Aera 500/510/550/560/660 with GDL 39 ...............................................................10 4.2.5. Garmin 695/696....................................................................................................................................11 4.2.6. Garmin 695/696 with GDL39 ..........................................................................................................11 4.2.7. Garmin 795/796................................................................

I think this is a question of legality right? Asking because my hangar neighbor with a Cessna shoots LPV approaches with the TrueTrak at our home field all the time. Not saying he is doing it in IFR conditions but the Trutrack flies it down to the numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, NJMac said:

I'm kinda hard to nail down. Will you share the presentation for consumption at my leisure at a later time?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The presentation will be recorded, and posted to the BK YouTube. I'll share the link out after the presentation is uploaded. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm..   Coles notes... on BK/TT Webinar ...

Takeaway from the TT BK Seminar...

Plans for, hopes for.. The TruTrak / BK Autopilot…

- Andrew is now VP of Experimental and Aftermarket Products for the Americas.

- Mooney STC Application is almost ready, in model verification. Hoped for 4 Th quarter this year. Wood wings NOT included, would require completely new design, VERY different airframe construction...

- Grumman application is in to FAA (with lots  of help from the manufacturer)

- Backlog of orders are expected to be cleared/much lessened by December.

FEATURES

- IAS Select, Alt restriction lifted, coupled approach restriction removed and Auto trim will be pursued in the next year. ...

FIXES

- Static Lag "Save" bug fixed

- Slow directed turn bug fixed

INTEGRATION

ASPEN E5...

- AP will follow Baro sync, Heading and will "pass through" GPSS.  (No Alt bug until next update of Aspen software. )

GARMIN G5

- AP will follow Heading Bug, and Alt Bug.  G5 will NOT pass through GPSS information, You will need a "source" switch to bypass the G5 with the GPSS info from your navigator.

(AGAIN, discussion about Garmin discontinuing the output of the G5 in a future update TO PREVENT it being used with other autopilots than the GFC 500. This thought continues to gain traction in the marketplace.  Garmin has not and will not support the interface, G5 <> TT (or any other AP) , Aspen does and will continue the support of the interface. )

Clearly, Steven and Andrew are concerned about this happening...  (my opinion only )

OTHER

Basically, Aspen is supporting integration with other products, Garmin wants an all Garmin panel in your plane... and I guess they may be prepared to insist on it...

BK/TT is co-operating with other manufacturers (one was present in the Seminar) for integration with other products, so you will have more choices for upgrades in the future.

This from memory and a few noted last night.  Hope I got it all correct, the discussion moved quickly... Feel free to add or correct the above if able..

N

• Like 3

FWIW.... a phone conversation with TT early this year indicated that they wanted to remove the restrictions and very interested in doing so, but the order backlog was consuming every resource they had....

They had hoped for strong sales, but absolutely NEVER expected the response they received...  Further development (read certifications) goes to the back burner when customers are lined up at the door, $$$ in hand...

N

@Navi Impressive notes! Great short overview for those who missed it. 

@bob865 I'm doing some editing to clean up some of the audio. Should be up tomorrow afternoon sometime. I'll post the link as soon as I get it.

I just want to thank everyone that showed up last night. A lot of really great questions were asked! 

Cheers, 

Steve

• Like 2