TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

Sorry, but there's a Bendix King radio sitting in almost every panel in the fleet.  They may have gone to seed, but I can see why an up and coming company would want to hook onto their coattails, they're name is huge and recognizable to just about every pilot.  Moreover, their legacy products are nothing short of legendary, most have worked flawlessly for decades.

That said, I hope these guys are able to deliver.  Low cost autopilots would be a game changer in GA and a huge boost to safety.

Caveat.. I don't know or have any information other than observations...

IMHO....

TT doesn't appear to be a takeover target with it's business organization as I observe it... It seems that it would be in difficulty without Andrew and other key people there. (among  other observations that would not appeal to "Takeover" investors)

I thought the synergy was a good move by TT.  Bottom line, they have to SELL and PRODUCE autopilots.. Boxes out their door is what pays the bills. It matters not whether these boxes have TruTrak or BK stamped on them..    Latching on to the distribution and installation network of BK looked to me to be a shrewd move and a deal good for both.     King may not be very innovative, but I have BK units in my panel that have worked flawlessly and are decades old...

TT did not have a network of dealer/installers, and now it has one suddenly. Trio and Dynon would kill for that. Andrew is a self confessed "Autopilot Nerd" , but bottom line ,  he has to provide for himself and his family...

Time will tell... there are no guarantees in any business... I wish them well...

N

• Like 1

What are you seeing?
Not withstanding, there may be a price on anything... :)
Nav

Just an outsider with no dog in the fight. Let's say you're used to selling uncertified products. Certification is super expensive. Unless the owner is independently wealthy, where does the cash for certification come from? Thinking outloud, Hmm. I've got all these shares of equity. Maybe I'll sell a few to a strategic partner who has a dealer network and legacy products that are likely a money tree. I can see that happening pretty easily. My business is blessed to be self funding our 35% annual growth. Not many can. That could be a way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't think TT is using outside funding. They are using inside engineer(s) that have been there for years. That is part of the reason that it is taking longer than some people would like, but I believe that is a sound business model for company longevity. They are still a very small company, and the fact that they have STC'ed all of the models they have, IMHO, is extremely impressive. In a few years this will all be a non-issue, I think, although then it will be the Aztecs, Bellancas, Maules, etc. wondering when their auto pilot is coming.

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken, all this is driven by the decades late realization by the FAA that some devices, like AOA indicators and autopilots, are not necessary equipment but contribute so much to safety that they needn't follow the same rules for certifying an airframe or other piece of essential equipment.

• Like 1

I just talked with my avionics guy. He's doing my annual this month. Called asking about my AI leaning. Ended up talking me into an Aspen. Not gona tell my wife. I'll wait to see how many flights it takes her to notice. Lol.

I asked him point blank how the TT integration is coming. Said he spoke with aspen last week and the heading/barro is working between aspen and TT on their bench. Guessing it will be live by Oshkosh.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

I just talked with my avionics guy. He's doing my annual this month. Called asking about my AI leaning. Ended up talking me into an Aspen. Not gona tell my wife. I'll wait to see how many flights it takes her to notice. Lol.

I asked him point blank how the TT integration is coming. Said he spoke with aspen last week and the heading/barro is working between aspen and TT on their bench. Guessing it will be live by Oshkosh.

Good luck. I would be lucky if I made it through start-up before my wife noticed, let alone getting off the ground.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NJMac said:

She barely flies with me. We're good. When she notices, I'll be like "oh, that? I've had it for a while"

A friend here is trying to justify a new Garmin autopilot for his J. I told him that safety sells. She is already worried about him becoming incapacitated in flight. I told him push the safety features of the GFC and he will close the deal in a heartbeat. :D How do you think I got an STEC 60-2 in 1998?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NJMac said:

Ended up talking me into an Aspen. Not gona tell my wife. I'll wait to see how many flights it takes her to notice. Lol.

Probably about the same number of flights with a new paint job :)

That aspen is going to be really nice!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NJMac said:

>>I asked him point blank how the TT integration is coming. Said he spoke with aspen last week and the heading/barro is working between aspen and TT on their bench. Guessing it will be live by Oshkosh.

Heard this on another forum.. Wondering … looks like they (TT And Aspen ) have stepped on the gas on this project?

Nav

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, Jesse Saint said:

I don't think TT is using outside funding. They are using inside engineer(s) that have been there for years. That is part of the reason that it is taking longer than some people would like, but I believe that is a sound business model for company longevity. They are still a very small company, and the fact that they have STC'ed all of the models they have, IMHO, is extremely impressive. In a few years this will all be a non-issue, I think, although then it will be the Aztecs, Bellancas, Maules, etc. wondering when their auto pilot is coming.

I am with Jesse on this one... TruTrak just reached 20 people… Still a small player here...  What they have done so far is nothing short of remarkable...

N

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:04 AM, cliffy said:

Well, I called today  :-(     The girl on the phone tried to find someone to answer my question on where the harness was going to be run BUT she couldn't find anyone to talk to me BUT said she was told they haven't decided where it will run yet. She alluded to "months yet". Why do I get the feeling they are hiding from us? Something doesn't seem right to me. 

Hmmmm- sorely disappointed. My opinion of the operation is now in jeopardy. They really need to come out with a press release telling the true story of where we Mooney folks sit. At least  I have  Brittain Accu-Track  until then. I've had a few of my own businesses over the years and I always kept my customers informed on what was going on. 

I can see no reason why I couldn't run wires identical to the wire runs in the 172 (wires only) behind the left side to the hell hole area so I don't have to pull down the entire interior in 6 months again if they use that area for the wire run. Sure, I'd have to slice them in to the harness but that's easier than pulling down the entire interior. I'll just cut off the Brittain tubing at each end and leave it behind the wall when the time comes. It doesn't weight anything at all.

I'm going to move on with what I'm doing and if it happens, it happens. Not in a real good mood right now. I really wanted that autopilot (money is in the bank) but I'm not sure now that its going to happen. 

>>I can see no reason why I couldn't run wires identical to the wire runs in the 172 (wires only) behind the left side to the hell hole area so I don't have to pull down the entire interior in 6 months again if they use that area for the wire run. Sure, I'd have to slice them in to the harness but that's easier than pulling down the entire interior.

Were you able to get a harness Cliffy?  The wire sizes needed are on the TT website if you need to make your own …

Nav

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:42 PM, DustinNwind said:

I just talked to TruTrak yesterday and the young lady that started a month ago was bewildered why anyone would have said the AP for Mooney would have been in service in spring - they haven't even submitted any paperwork to FAA. She said they have only worked on the 172, 180, 182 and 185. Cory, the guy that was telling everyone it would be done by end of 2018, then beginning of 2019 and of course by now, spring has been fired. They are projecting the end of the year at the earliest. Incredibly disappointing as I purchased my airplane with a new engine and without an autopilot based on their lies. 

Just had an online conversation with Corey Reed yesterday.. . For guy that was (supposedly?) fired, he sure still has a great relationship with TruTrack. He is still offering help and suggestions on the TT autopilot and is actively promoting their product.

He is pursuing his dream of flying commercially.  Building lots of hours flying a Cessna for a surveying/mapping company. Says the hours are  building, but having some very long days when the weather is good....

Nav

• Like 1

I am right now rerunning the existing wires on the left sidewall. Seems after 50 years things were done a little hap-hazard in the past on how to hang wire bundles in the sidewall. I'm also moving the battery to the rear so I have to run wires for that and the electric step actuator at the same time. Yes, I found the stuff on the TT website and I'll pull those and stub them off just in case I have to use them later. Thx. 

11 hours ago, Navi said:

He is pursuing his dream of flying commercially.  Building lots of hours flying a Cessna for a surveying/mapping company. Says the hours are  building, but having some very long days when the weather is good....

If anyone talks to Cory tell him I can't count the number of 14 hour duty days (16 hrs hotel to hotel) I had with the 121s when I was working. Long days and flying go together. Its part of the life you accept. Everything has trade offs. 

• Like 3

If anyone is interested, he is the latest from TruTrak

Hello Bob,

My name is Stephen and I am taking over for Corey as he has chosen to move on from the company.

We are on track to release the Mooney STC at OshKosh 2019.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Stephen

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

So is the trutrak ap the same ap that BK are saying they are going to release  (but badged) or is it something different?

According to Andrew, it is exactly the same as the TT Vizion . It may differ in the future as it may be modified to work with extra features integrated with the BK "AeroVu" PFDs...

But for now, exactly the same...

N

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Navi said:

According to Andrew, it is exactly the same as the TT Vizion . It may differ in the future as it may be modified to work with extra features integrated with the BK "AeroVu" PFDs...

But for now, exactly the same...

N

Absolutely correct. Not sure what you mean by "BK" though. Sounds like a really good deal for 5K. I think I have an email somewhere from TT saying the install should take 20-24 hours for someone who had not done one before.

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

AMU... a ton of dough 

My wife refers to them as BRU - 'Bathroom Remodel Units. When I told her how much it was to replace the governor last year she said "Ah, that's the bathroom remodel I want to do." Fortunately she likes flying, the plane continues to get maintained and upgraded, and I'm still shaving in the old sink in the master bathroom.. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 7:37 PM, Navi said:

Just had an online conversation with Corey Reed yesterday.. . For guy that was (supposedly?) fired, he sure still has a great relationship with TruTrack. He is still offering help and suggestions on the TT autopilot and is actively promoting their product.

Nav

Nav, thank you for updating me on their relationship.