History Buffs Might Enjoy

I'm having the seats recovered in my Piper Twin Comanche. Took the seats down to the upholstery shop and after my guy started tearing the old covering off we discovered this written on the seats. I posted this on the Facebook PA-30 page and there were lots of folks that enjoyed this..Thought my Mooney guys/gals might enjoy as well. Even though it's not a Mooney it is very cool aviation history. I've had several Piper folks suggest I cut these out and frame them as hanger art or just keep them for the nostalgia.

I'm picturing on November 14th 1966, a few weeks before Thanksgiving and just another seat coming down the assembly line and it's close to the end of the day (it was a Monday, I checked) and some line worker on the assembly line thought...Someday someone will see this and say "Wow, how cool. wonder who this WCS guy at Piper was".. I certainly do?. You can tell in the doodle drawing of the airplane he was kind of particular..The detail in the airplane is good, now this other "bird" thing he has drawn...no idea. Maybe his wife was pregnant and he had a stork on his mind.. :)

-Tom

Seat 1.jpg

seat 2.jpg

• Like 7

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

Might be interesting to send Piper a message asking them to see if the guy is in their system and whether they could forward the artwork to him. Figuring he was 30 years old at the time would make him 82 now.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Would be interesting to see if they had record of it. I was thinking he would be in his 80s as well. I've done some basic searches and have not found much so far..still looking.

-Tom

Tom - two of my uncles worked at Piper at Lock Haven and followed the operation to Vero Beach after the flood of ‘72 demolished the facility.

Unfortunately both are no longer alive. Be nice to know if this guy is still around and if he knew my uncles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Tom - two of my uncles worked at Piper at Lock Haven and followed the operation to Vero Beach after the flood of ‘72 demolished the facility.

Unfortunately both are no longer alive. Be nice to know if this guy is still around and if he knew my uncles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's got me intrigued. I do plan to have my upholstery guy carefully remove them. I'm hoping to follow-up on this. If I find out more I'll keep the thread going. I enjoy following up on things like this. Keeps things interesting. Still aviation related and not as expensive as Avgas.

-Tom 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Would be interesting to see if they had record of it. I was thinking he would be in his 80s as well. I've done some basic searches and have not found much so far..still looking.

-Tom

If he is still with us he could very well be on a Piper pension plan, meaning, he could easily be looked up.

• Like 1

Managed to save the original backings that were signed. Still plan to follow-up with Piper. For what it's worth this was the new finish. Still lots to do, but a start...and a crappy picture of the new seats.

-Tom

seats gone.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The Express from Lock Haven PA from June 30, 1966, page 4, says that William C. Steiner of 217 N. Henderson St. was involved in a car accident on Main St. where each car sustained $30 damage. It sounds like it might have been him.

Very good research and cool find. I do plan to keep working my through the history...Really interesting, meaningless, but really intriguing to me.   

-Tom

• Like 1