Gear pre load and aileron links.

Little advice / info needed. 

I currently have my 70C electric gear model in for its yearly inspection at a local well respected shop.  The shop said the left gear pre-load needed reset and the nose gear also. The labor on the left gear was 1.5 hours and to set the nose gear its 9.5 hours. Does this labor for the nose gear pre-load sound right ????

Also while I’m In for service my aileron links / bearings are being replace along with the rudder link / bearing . Mooney currently these for $550.00 each with a three day lead time, the shop quoted 12.5 hours for the R&R. Does the labor on all three links sound correct. 

Thanks for for any input. 

Ed 

It shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours or so to set the preloads on all three. All you have to do is set the two rods to be equal and set the nose preload with the limit switch. Then set the mains. They should take about 1/2 hour each once the plane is up on jacks and everything is opened up.

The rod ends never really need replacing. Especially the ailerons. They are all in tension in flight so there can't be any slop in them. Unless they are so warn that they look like they are going to come apart, they are fine. 

• Like 1

Change one preload and they all change in unison.  BUT it should only take 4 hrs to reset EVERYTHING from scratch. One MUST get the correct position of the main bellcrank correct before any of the 4 rods are adjusted. Once done correctly it should really never change much except for injury to the system.  

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Now the question is do you trust that the work is being done properly giving the shennanigans with the bill!  

An improperly rigged gear could give you some expensive problems.  It should only be done by mechanics who are very familiar and do it all the time.

John Breda

• Like 2

On 8/17/2018 at 6:49 PM, Pirate said:

Update.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your input. I showed the shop theses postings and they quickly adjusted from 9 hours down to two. 

Yall helped me save $490.00 

Agree with John.  Good they adjusted, but would be better to understand how they arrived at the original number in the first place.  Someone well-experienced in your specific model’s rigging technique should be in the loop.

Keep us posted?

Steve

On 7/17/2018 at 4:54 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

It shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours or so to set the preloads on all three. All you have to do is set the two rods to be equal and set the nose preload with the limit switch. Then set the mains. They should take about 1/2 hour each once the plane is up on jacks and everything is opened up.

The rod ends never really need replacing. Especially the ailerons. They are all in tension in flight so there can't be any slop in them. Unless they are so warn that they look like they are going to come apart, they are fine. 

Idk. I changed mine as a speed improvement since that slop pulls both ailerons up increasing drag. 

-Robert