Sensorcon Calibration at Airventure 2018

DanM20C

Everyone,

I have acquired the test gas and regulator to calibrate the Sensorcon Inspector CO detector many of you have purchased.  After two years without calibration, an EOL warning will appear at start up. Calibration will reset the clock on the EOL warning and ensure the detector is accurate and functional.  

I will have the calibration equipment with me at Airventure from Saturday 7/21 though Wendsday 7/25.  Calibrations will be free of charge!  If you so chose, I will accept donations to cover the cost of the test gas and equipment.  All donations will go to the purchase of more test gas/equipment for future Airventure calibrations.

Many of you will be attending @yvesg's MooneySpace Social.  I'll be available at the Caravan tent before(1/2 hr ) and after the social to provide calibrations.  So bring your Sensorcons.

I'm flying in with the Caravan, Element Q - N231ME.  I'll be camping with my plane so if any of you Caravan pilots need calibration you can hit me up anytime you see me in the north 40.  I don't plan on doing any calibrations at MSN .

If you are not attending the caravan or MS Social just send me a PM and we will figure something out.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 7

2 hours ago, steingar said:

Thanks.  I just got mine, but I was sort of wondering about the calibration.

You wouldn't need to calibrate this time, but we can if you wish.  Calibrations will also be available at the Mooney Summit VI.

I will be happy to calibrate any that are sent to me.  If anyone wishes to do this just send me a PM.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

You wouldn't need to calibrate this time, but we can if you wish.  Calibrations will also be available at the Mooney Summit VI.

I will be happy to calibrate any that are sent to me.  If anyone wishes to do this just send me a PM.

Cheers,

Dan

A very generous offer, and I will likely take you up on it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
22 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:
  1. I finally bought one and have a question. What is the consensus on how to use it? Are most placing it on their belt or have it mounted in full view somewhere on the panel?

I have seen panel, belt and roof.  @gsxrpilot uses his go-pro mount on the roof.  I use some 3M command Velcro to hold mine to the panel, this allows for easy removal for calibration.  

2 hours ago, kpaul said:

I have seen panel, belt and roof.  @gsxrpilot uses his go-pro mount on the roof.  I use some 3M command Velcro to hold mine to the panel, this allows for easy removal for calibration.  

I can't imagine it can be heard, and the vibration certainly can't be felt, so everyone relies on seeing it if it lights up?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I can't imagine it can be heard, and the vibration certainly can't be felt, so everyone relies on seeing it if it lights up?

The nice thing about the Sensorcon is it gives real time data all the time. It’s not just an alarm. Most people are checking it as regularly as they do their engine data. I think that is good practice.  The alarms could be difficult to detect depending on where you have it mounted, but if you will be regularly checking it.

cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Nope, you can hear it just fine and I fly with ANR.  Remember these were designed to be used in industrial areas, not quite office buildings.  I have had mine alarm several times, although only on the ground, while taxiing in formation.  The numbers get incredibly high on the ground during the Mooney Caravan.

Mine is mounted low, hear the heater/air inlet below my throttle quadrant.  On a normal day, without other aircraft around, I see 1-3 ppm on the ground with the cool scoop out and door open.  In flight it reads 0.  I check it regularly in flight.  If I see a reading other than low single digits in flight, I will be heading for the closest airfield not waiting for it to alarm.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Seth said:

When my small yellow Detector stops working I’m buying one of these.

I may also get the 135 outfit I now fly for to get a few of these.  Or I’ll get a second one to take with me.

-Seth 

The problem with the small yellow indicator is it may have already stopped working.  Also, it will not change until the ppm gets high enough, it won't help you identify a subtle leak.

16 minutes ago, kpaul said:

The problem with the small yellow indicator is it may have already stopped working.  Also, it will not change until the ppm gets high enough, it won't help you identify a subtle leak.

I hear you, and thought that may be the case, but it shows just a couple PPM. The alarm doesn’t go off until higher, but it’s pretty sensitive picking up PPM when the door is open in taxi, and a few other situations.

It even blared one time at me in climb when there was an issue that caused a fuel leak and thus fumes in the cockpit causing a not great situation - I got on the ground quickly and nearly declared - that’s another story for another time.

It works well.  But when it quits I’m getting a newer one.  I have replaced the batteries on my little yellow one twice now.  I’ve had it 3-4 years.

-Seth

2 minutes ago, Seth said:

I hear you, and thought that may be the case, but it shows just a couple PPM. The alarm doesn’t go off until higher, but it’s pretty sensitive picking up PPM when the door is open in taxi, and a few other situations.

It even blared one time at me in climb when there was an issue that caused a fuel leak and thus fumes in the cockpit causing a not great situation - I got on the ground quickly and nearly declared - that’s another story for another time.

It works well.  But when it quits I’m getting a newer one.  I have replaced the batteries on my little yellow one twice now.  I’ve had it 3-4 years.

-Seth

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you were using one of those yellow dots on a card stuck to your instrument panel. 

I do love being able to recalibrate the one I have now, thanks to Dan.

No no - the yellow dots on the card tell whoever is at the crash site that it may have been Carbon monoxide poisoning.

The unit I have is the small yellow Carbon Monxide digital monitor.  Now that I’ve researched more it’s fine, but when it ceases to function properly I’ll get a sensicorn or what we the leading active monitor is at that time.

-Seth

• Like 1

How long does a battery last on these devices when in continuous use (forgetting to turn it off) and only when flying?

Also, I tested it by placing near my car tailpipe and while it responded very quickly, the alarm wasn't all that loud and can't imagine I'd hear it while the Mooney is at WOT.