Typical costs to install a JPI 830 or 900?

On 7/17/2018 at 12:55 AM, jemenake said:

Greetings, Mooners!

I tried searching the forums for some clues about this, but no luck, so I'm posting. My partners and I are looking into getting an engine analyzer for our M20K (231), and we asked a nearby shop for a quote for a JPI 830, and they came back with over $14k... $3+k for the actual unit and over $10k for labor. We're having a little trouble accepting that kind of a labor cost. What are some costs y'all have incurred to install an engine monitor on the level of a JPI 830 or 900?

It took me 55hrs in install my 900 in my 231.  To do a second one I could probably shave off 10hrs.  It's not hard work, just tedious.  I spent a good amount of time just thinking about wire management, and strived to make it a clean and tidy installation.  Just Changing the shunt probably accounted for 5hrs.  Mooney buried that like it was a pirates treasure.

As others have recommended, I wouldn't go with an 830 in the 231.  The 900 is the way to go.  With the 830 you legally need to maintain your original gauges.  A bad probe or gauge could easily eat up the cost difference between the 830 and 900.  That being said, an engine monitor will be one of the most important things you will have in your 231.  Even an 830 is infinitely better that what you have now.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

I find that with the autopilot doing most of the flying most of the time. I spend my time on engine management. I'm always trying to get max performance for the minimum fuel, all while being as gentle to my engine as possible. So I like having my EDM-900 right where I can see it.

IMG_2505.jpg

• Like 2