Electric Cowl Flap Motor

Vno

Has anyone ever had the pleasure of the Rotating arm of the Cowl flap motor break off at the end? If so, can this arm can be replaced? It has been tough to get an answer from repair shops.

92' M20J MSE.

Brian

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1070-1.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

Next up, the question of why it broke in the first place?

When I had my J with manual cowl flaps I could feel when the mechanism got stiff. A shot of tri-flow on each piece of linkage would fix it right up. Fast forward to my K with the electric system and there is no longer any tactile feedback. I did notice one day on a flight that the indicator was moving much slower than normal. Once again, tri-flow to the rescue. I carry a small can in my toolbox and did this on the ramp 1000 miles from home. So my point is, keep up on the lubrication of the cowl flap linkage. It seems to need lube pretty often, certainly more often than at annual time.

Larry

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I would love to see more pictures of your turbo setup.

When I get back I will take more pictures. But it is the M20Turbos kit from Bill Sandman's Company. It was installed back in 01'

Brian

1 hour ago, larryb said:

Next up, the question of why it broke in the first place?

When I had my J with manual cowl flaps I could feel when the mechanism got stiff. A shot of tri-flow on each piece of linkage would fix it right up. Fast forward to my K with the electric system and there is no longer any tactile feedback. I did notice one day on a flight that the indicator was moving much slower than normal. Once again, tri-flow to the rescue. I carry a small can in my toolbox and did this on the ramp 1000 miles from home. So my point is, keep up on the lubrication of the cowl flap linkage. It seems to need lube pretty often, certainly more often than at annual time.

Larry

I agree. But I have no reference to any of what you suggested, as I am pretty sure it broke either the day I picked it up or immediately before. I had the motor overhauled as part of the prebuy. Being my first Mooney I had no frame of reference to see if it was working properly. I was hanging on just getting up to speed with basic maneuvers. Good advice for the future though.

Brian

These motors are manufactured by Globe Motors in Dothan Al. I think there is a new version out that has larger shaft.  Call the Dothan address and ask for Bobbie Eldridge in the repair station. I worked there for several years before they were bought out by advanced motion. 

• Like 1

The fact that it broke right after overhaul is certainly worthy of a conversation. The installing mechanic should have ensured the system was lubricated and working correctly.  Perhaps it was and there was some other issue going on. There may be a warranty on the part you can take advantage of. 

I certainly felt somewhat uncomfortable in the first 50 hours of ownership in both of my Mooneys. At that time you just don't know what is normal and what is not. 

In my opinion, some of the linkages on these aircraft are poorly designed. Steel on steel with no bearing material at all. Even with proper lube they wear quickly.  Carb linkages in old cars used to be like this, but no longer.