IFR Setup

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, gsxrpilot said:

@Skates97 come out here to Texas and fly a few Mooneys with different panels. You're welcome to fly mine from the left seat and see what you think. Then over a few beers, we can talk through the pro's and con's and the decision process....  

Just wait until October, it's too hot to fly in Texas right now. The DA here in Austin might be FL200. :lol:

I'm in Texas near Austin as well and want to fly in some Mooney's with different panels. :D  I'm looking to buy now..

7 hours ago, daytonabch04 said:

I'm in Texas near Austin as well and want to fly in some Mooney's with different panels. :D  I'm looking to buy now..

Fill out your profile so we know where you are :-)

My Mooney is in annual right now. August is not the month for flying in Texas. But as soon as it comes out, I'm happy to take you up for a flight. I can also arrange a few others as well. 

While we're all on the ground because of the heat, drive out to Kestrel and meet Jimmy and David at All American. Let them show you a few birds. Leave your wallet at home, or you might be an owner quicker than you think. And/or drive out to Smithville and meet JD at SWTA. He can show you my M20K that he's annulling right now and several other Mooneys that are in his shop for service. After all, once you become an owner, you're gonna need a good shop. JD and Southwest Texas Aviation is one of the best in the Austin area.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:08 AM, gsxrpilot said:

While we're all on the ground because of the heat, drive out to Kestrel and meet Jimmy and David at All American. Let them show you a few birds. Leave your wallet at home, or you might be an owner quicker than you think. And/or drive out to Smithville and meet JD at SWTA. He can show you my M20K that he's annulling right now and several other Mooneys that are in his shop for service. After all, once you become an owner, you're gonna need a good shop. JD and Southwest Texas Aviation is one of the best in the Austin area.

Yes, good advice on the wallet.  Last time I hung out with Jimmy, David and JD I came home to New York with an M20K.  Not regretting it at all though :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/7/2018 at 10:08 PM, gsxrpilot said:

My Mooney is in annual right now. August is not the month for flying in Texas. But as soon as it comes out, I'm happy to take you up for a flight. I can also arrange a few others as well. 

Yes, I saw your plane there the day before yesterday, while picking up N1012DX.   I now remember why I live in California.  The humidity and high temperature in Smithville was something else!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Profile updated with location.  Central Texas-Killeen area.  Looking to buy Bravo/Ovation very soon.  Any rides would be appreciated. :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Welcome aboard Navion...

Expect the KLN90B to be compatible with all HSIs... they have standards for this. Even though big G would prefer to keep things proprietary (?)...

It would be wise to use the search function to find G5 compatibility...

There are a few threads specifically covering the G5 that would be better place for this question.

Find the Stc or other installation documents that will list all the compatible requirements...

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guy...

Best regards,

-a-

@Skates97 

I did my panel on the “cheap” - was in a budget and did all the labor myself because I could.  

As I was thinking about upgrading I came up with two tests. 

1) will my plane be more functional/ safer after

2) will my plane be worth more

had to satisfy both to justify an upgrade. 

First Are you set on the G5’s ? If so forget about interfacing a KLN.  The G5’s will not interface with old GPS navigators. 

Second, What’s your 2020 plan? You need either a 1090 or 978 solution. My overall cheapest option was a 1090 GTX330ES and plugging in a WAAS GPS to that.  

Third, don’t underestimate the cost of avionics shops.  It will cost you the same labor (ie 2-4 AMU) to install the KLN as it would a 400/500 as it would a 750.  That’s a big chunk.  You want something that has an upgrade path.  Even if that’s spending the extra AMU to get the 400 form factor that will save you more in if labor down the road when Jepp decides to no longer support the databases etc (These older units may not fail but you may no longer be able to update them the way of the Argus).  That combined with the G5 interface would have me suggest keep your current radios and if panel space wire in a 400/420/430W.  Keep the nav as a backup.   This would also avoid the alerting needed for a KLN/ and the likely need for a CDI.  There’s a almost zero percent chance your current CDI would work with either a KLN or an GNS navigator.  At that point keep your narco till it dies and do the G5 HSI for GPS.  You might have a path to an autopilot someday with that setup.   The only thing I’d not like about that setup is you would not be able to present an ILS on the HSI unless you did a 430W.   A non WAAS 430 is not really worth it - the price delta between the W and the non-W is too small ($4500 vs $6100-6500).  

Fourth, don’t underestimate the value of the WAAS boxes for terrain alerting etc.  If you fly night in SoCal that’s pretty much  IFR away from the city lights.  If this isn’t your forever plane a WAAS box will pay for itself in resale.  If it is your forever plane wait until you can treat her right and then treat her right.  

Fifth are you planning to keep the attitude indicator with the G5? Whatever IFR plan you have make sure there are 2-3 sources of attitude information available (stratus doesn’t count).  

None of this is cheap but it’s a potentially 10-15 year deprecating capital investment. Think of it like buying a bunch of Mac desktops that will last you then next 15 years and then it becomes a bit better to swallow.  

If you’re handy and have a willing IA that’s the most affordable way to do this.  Halves the upgrade cost. 

• 2 years later...
On 7/16/2018 at 9:25 PM, Niko182 said:

While this is somewhat true to an extent, I wouldn't completely agree with this. while summer clouds can mean convective activity (some of these happening in the last 3 weeks), The majority of the time your issue will be a marine layer. Also freezing levels in Socal are pretty high up there, usually being around 9 to 11 thousand feet in winter, and in the Mid teens in summer.

and regarding the 90b, i have the KLN 94 in the eagle, and it has been nothing but a pain in the ass. I have wasted 100s of dollars buying downloads to update the card, and all its done is erase my most recent card so as of now, I'm stuck with a database from 2001, and have like 6 empty cards, that keep on telling me they're invalid for a new database. If I want to update it now, I need to buy a new card, which will set me back a "reasonable" 500 dollars, for a card that came out before I was born.

Save your time and effort and find a reasonably priced 430 waas. In the long run, you'll be way better off.

Just probing here.  How does a 20 year old that “owns” an airplane that cost 200$ an hour to run.  $6,000-$7,000 a year to just sit and collect dust.  And $200,000-$300,000 to buy and flys out of one of the most expensive airports in the country save up to upgrade the panel on said $200,000 airplane?

Most people here don’t have the need or experience to be shooting an approach down to LPV minimums in a single engine aircraft.

The KLN 89,90, and 94’s are great for going ifr in a straight line and we all have huge iPads for situational awareness.

I think the amount of money people spend on their instrument panels is frankly nuts.  Spend it on your airframe and engine Maintence.  And some good training from an experienced CFI.  

just my two cents.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Morow...

You have necro-posted...

Which 20year olds are you talking about?

If you know of any that can afford things like you describe... they must be really smart, and extra hard working...

When joining a community... it is probably best to stay a bit positive...

heck... if he can afford a fancy plane, and fancy equipment... he probably affords plenty of CFII time too...

There are a couple of young guns around here... that’s for sure...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, morow1 said:

Just probing here.  How does a 20 year old that “owns” an airplane that cost 200$ an hour to run.  $6,000-$7,000 a year to just sit and collect dust.  And $200,000-$300,000 to buy and flys out of one of the most expensive airports in the country save up to upgrade the panel on said $200,000 airplane?

Most people here don’t have the need or experience to be shooting an approach down to LPV minimums in a single engine aircraft.

The KLN 89,90, and 94’s are great for going ifr in a straight line and we all have huge iPads for situational awareness.

I think the amount of money people spend on their instrument panels is frankly nuts.  Spend it on your airframe and engine Maintence.  And some good training from an experienced CFI.  

just my two cents.

I flew the KLN 90B as the primary navigation for 21 years.  I still think it is the best 2nd generation GPS out there.  In 2000 I even recommended it be put in the new CJ1 that my student purchased.  I skipped the 3rd generation GPS (430/530) because the KLN 90B was that good. However, even though it was good, it did take a lot of training to use it, and a full GPS approach with PT required a lot of work for the pilot.  The 4th generation GPS such as the GTN series makes instrument flying almost trivial and leaves the pilot with much more time to both monitor situational awareness and have the excess time to be better prepared to handle emergency situations.  The latest software update for the GTN Xi Series GPS provides a glide range ring and arrows pointing to the best airport at which to land taking into account weather, wind and airport suitability for your particular airplane.

When weighing risks associated with flying, modern avionics goes a long way toward mitigating those risks.  Additionally, until you've flown a total glass panel upgraded airplane, you can't imagine how much fun it is.  They're like magic.

GTN Xi Best Glide Indicator.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1