TSIO-360-GB - Now for the hot start ....

NicoN

Only a few weeks  ago I learnt a new method to do a smooth COLD start for my TSIO-360-GB using the High Boost pump.

After about a dozen cold starts THIS seems to work pretty well for me:

- Mixture/Prop/Throttle FULL Forward

- Run the High Boost pump for 5 seconds

- Throttle a Little above IDLE

- Wait and pray for 10 seconds

- Crank

Everything fine - thank you for that method.

Yesterday on a hot day I had three bad experiences:

1. Startup COLD with the above method was fine as ever.

While taxiing with 1000RPM and engine leaned, the engine stopped. i think it was too much leaning. Pushing mixture full Forward more or less gave the engine the rest instead of rescuing the Situation. With 10s low boost  pump I was able to restart, taxi and depart flawlessly.

2. After only 10 minutes stopping the engine for re-fueling I needed 3 times for re-start. I used the LOW Boost pump for about a Minute to clear the fuel lines from gas bubbles, but still had 3 times of a dying engine after it fired.

3. Restarting the engine after lunch break for about 30 minutes was better using the Boost pump for a Little longer than a Minute but also with a engine accelerating to at least 1800RPM at first.

Is there another Magic method for starting a hot engine like you gave me for a cold one?

I followed the threat about hot starting the IO-360 but that may be another world.

Edited by NicoN

1. Mixture full rich, throttle at idle.

2. Run the boost pump momentarily (no more than 1 second)

3. Full throttle (leave your hand on it)

4. Crank, as engine fires smoothly pull throttle to idle keeping RPM from exceeding 1000

5. "Tickle" primer or boost pump if engine wants to die

6. This honestly works on every single fuel injected Continental engine(except B58P).

• Like 1

This seems to work for me:

Cold

throttle/mixture full forward

prime 5 seconds 

throttle 1”

starts pretty quick

hot start

throttle/mixture full forward

prime 3 seconds or no primer if I just shut down within 5 minutes or so 

throttle half way in

starts every time

have been using the Hot start method above a lot in the last few days because trying to do fuel flow set up and it’s worked every time

8 hours ago, NicoN said:

Only a few weeks  ago I learnt a new method to do a smooth COLD start for my TSIO-360-GB using the High Boost pump.

After about a dozen cold starts THIS seems to work pretty well for me:

- Mixture/Prop/Throttle FULL Forward

- Run the High Boost pump for 5 seconds

- Throttle a Little above IDLE

- Wait and pray for 10 seconds

- Crank

Everything fine - thank you for that method.

Yesterday on a hot day I had three bad experiences:

1. Startup COLD with the above method was fine as ever.

While taxiing with 1000RPM and engine leaned, the engine stopped. i think it was too much leaning. Pushing mixture full Forward more or less gave the engine the rest instead of rescuing the Situation. With 10s low boost  pump I was able to restart, taxi and depart flawlessly.

2. After only 10 minutes stopping the engine for re-fueling I needed 3 times for re-start. I used the LOW Boost pump for about a Minute to clear the fuel lines from gas bubbles, but still had 3 times of a dying engine after it fired.

3. Restarting the engine after lunch break for about 30 minutes was better using the Boost pump for a Little longer than a Minute but also with a engine accelerating to at least 1800RPM at first.

Is there another Magic method for starting a hot engine like you gave me for a cold one?

I followed the threat about hot starting the IO-360 but that may be another world.

Do you not have a primer?  Why boost pump?  Is it the same system?

The method that works every time, hot or cold, is the one N231BN said.  Prime just to get the engine running.  The Hi Boost has a cover on it.  Leave the cover where it is.  When the engine starts to die, push the top corner of the hi boost switch with the cover in place until the engine is happy, then let go.  Leaving the switch cover in place allows the hi boost switch to act as in instant off switch, so as soon as you stop pushing it stops pumping.

I have the MB engine in my 252. I never use high or low boost when starting. I use about 5 or 6 seconds of prime if cold and about 2 seconds of prime when hot.

On our vacation trip this July we started the plane 21 times. 9 of them were hot starts and 12 were cold (first start of the day). It started first try all 21 times.

One of the cold starts was in Churchill where the OAT was 34F and one of the hot starts was in Waynesboro, MS where it was 98F.