Instruments Approach Practice at DAB and SFB

FLYFST

Hello all, for those of you based on the East coast of Central FL,  what comments or suggestions would you offer regarding how accommodating  or not are the controllers at DAB and SFB to pilots wanting to fly multiple practice instruments approaches?

regards - Hank

Daytona has a large school with it’s own dedicated runway so they’re probably used to it. But around Orlando exec is a busy class B airspace, I would expect them not allow them unless you can remain clear of class Bravo.

I assume you want to fly an ILS approach otherwise GPS approaches are everywhere.

MLB is a good choice in that general area if you desire an ILS.

Hi Hank,

It's true that DAB is ultra saturated, but there's a lot less activity at night. The multiple flight schools there generally send their instrument students out then and the controllers are pretty used to the reduced traffic and larger population of instrument students at that time. 

I generally try to steer clear of flight student activity in general (which is why I'm a fan on MLB as well), but shooting approaches in a somewhat busy Charlie is fantastic practice no matter how you slice it.

Depending on where you are in the area I would definitely recommend SGJ further to the north of DAB. Pretty calm in terms of traffic, Jax approach is really accommodating in that area, and the tower there is outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Following up with the group to thank again all that gave helpful suggestions. I just recently used SGJ and FIN to fly multiple approaches. Approach control and tower controllers at both were very accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk