Rest stop NC to WI

bradp

Hi all,

Anyone have recommendations for a rest stop on the way to Oshkosh?  Western OH or Eastern Illinois.  Looking for somewhere with an on airport restaurant that might be open on a Friday morning for breakfast.

Thanks and take care,

Brad

Capture2.PNG

7 minutes ago, bradp said:

Hi all,

Anyone have recommendations for a rest stop on the way to Oshkosh?  Western OH or Eastern Illinois.  Looking for somewhere with an on airport restaurant that might be open on a Friday morning for breakfast.

Thanks and take care,

Brad

Brad, several MAG planes met at DKB last year on the way to MSN. The FBO there does AirVenture specials, fuel discounts and free lunch.  

I was amazed and happy to find fuel for $3.86 at KRZN (not useful for your path - North of KOSH), and I thank the foreflight fuel map option for planning a cheap fuel stop roughly in the middle of my long cross country KBZN->KPTD.  What was nice is I had picked a different fuel stop (I forget where) for a few cents less, but then I ended up driving north to stay north of a line of thunderstorms, and so found cheap fuel and sunshine the whole way.  

Now what can be better than cheap fuel and sunshine?!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Now what can be better than cheap fuel and sunshine?!

For a Rocket driver... cheap fuel would beat sunshine every time.  The Rocket will get you to sunshine... as long as you've got the fuel. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bradp said:

Hi all,

Thanks and take care,

Brad

Capture2.PNG

More cheap fuel shows up if you zoom in.  How about, 1l9?  Or KMGC - $4.10? C56 $4.15? KWRN $4.19?

I remember about 3 years ago I was flying to Colorado the week before like a Thursday before Oshkosh. I had chosen a fuel stop in Iowa...that turned out to be a big ag-plane operations airport, and it was the cheapest fuel around and clearly there were lots of people on their way to Oshkosh that found the same airport for the same reason.  Wow - what a line there was to fill up but it was a fun party atmosphere.  And while I was there like a dozen Beeches in formation showed up.  Then right after them like another dozen Vans airplanes showed up.    So if you want a quiet stop  - better choose some expensive fuel.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

For a Rocket driver... cheap fuel would beat sunshine every time.  The Rocket will get you to sunshine... as long as you've got the fuel. :D

Oh brother - don't you know it!  She like to burn fuel.  Sort of the thirsty cousin of your lovely bird.

Well at least I had no problem out running a line of storms extending from Northern of Wisconsin to Kansas - I caught up and scorched ahead of it to pass by Marquette and enjoy sunshine.  Then from Marquette home I was in and out of clouds the rest of the way, but feeling fat and happy with a load of cheap fuel.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

Don't know about Ron, I hate to stop and MRN/MSN is easily in range even with headwind.

He has a fuel stop, not because he has too, but because it's cheap.

• Like 1

I assume you are aware that there are locations that offer fuel discounts, food, or other stuff to pilots on their way to Oshkosh.  

EAA's listing is here: https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-fly-in-flying-to-oshkosh/fuel-service-and-discounts

Global Air's listing is here: https://www.globalair.com/airport/specials.aspx

I’m not specifically looking for fuel although cheap gas is great - I’m going to be flying with a 5 year old who appreciates a potty break after about 2.5-3 hrs.  She also said she’d like to stop for breakfast :-).  Depending on the weather and time we might make a couple of stops along the way. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

More cheap fuel shows up if you zoom in.  How about, 1l9?  Or KMGC - $4.10? C56 $4.15? KWRN $4.19?

I remember about 3 years ago I was flying to Colorado the week before like a Thursday before Oshkosh. I had chosen a fuel stop in Iowa...that turned out to be a big ag-plane operations airport, and it was the cheapest fuel around and clearly there were lots of people on their way to Oshkosh that found the same airport for the same reason.  Wow - what a line there was to fill up but it was a fun party atmosphere.  And while I was there like a dozen Beeches in formation showed up.  Then right after them like another dozen Vans airplanes showed up.    So if you want a quiet stop  - better choose some expensive fuel.

Just found something interesting.  I am almost 100% sure when I checked my intended fuel stop prices last week, it was at $3.99 - one of the main reasons I was stopping there.  Today, that price has jumped to $4.59.  Does anyone know if websites that tracks fuel historical prices for airports?  

20 hours ago, kpaul said:

@Marcopolowhere do you stop?

I don't want to give up my favorite place cause it may become everyone else's, Ha!

Nah, I stop @ 3TR (Niles Mi.) , cheap fuel before arriving in Madison.  I fill up there on the way in and then again on the way out of Osh.  Currently says $3.99/gal. self serve.   Per the OP's spec though there is no restaurant on the filed, there are snacks and cold water in the unmanned FBO on the honor pay system.  Cool little field in the middle of a thousand acre corn field.  The vasi cannot be seen until short short final if the corn is too high.  RNAV approaches available.

Ron

• Like 1

Why stop at all, Brad?

KTTA — KOSH is only 666 nmi direct:  A mere hop in a J model.  No airspace issues along that great circle arc.  Yes, you fly a 92 nmi leg over Lake Michigan but in late July the lake surface water is warm (well, warm enough).  

7 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Why stop at all, Brad?

KTTA — KOSH is only 666 nmi direct:  A mere hop in a J model.  No airspace issues along that great circle arc.  Yes, you fly a 92 nmi leg over Lake Michigan but in late July the lake surface water is warm (well, warm enough).  

Jerry, you may have missed, as I did even though I knew it, that Brad's co-pilot is his 5 year old daughter... :rolleyes: