G1000 WAAS Upgrade Cost?

I searched the forums for an answer to this question and I could not find it.  My apology if this has been answered before.  What is the average cost of ADS-B in / WAAS upgrade for a G1000 equipped Ovation (2004-2007 age range)?

Don’t recall the cost, I’m sure others will chime in, but are you aware that the upgrade parts will soon be unavailable, and so it won’t happen at any cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Maxwell (@Oldguy) made a post about this a couple of months ago.  I can’t find a way to copy the link but here is the copy of the post title.

G1000 WAAS upgrade parts availability ending

It sounded like Don was trying to round up as many parts as he could to be able to offer the upgrades.  If you want it done it sounds like soon may be the only option and is still pretty expensive.

There are many threads that include the information, including in the avionics sub forum. Most of us who have gone through it paid about $31,000 for WAAS+ADSB (GTX345R).  Well worth it in my book :)

re: comment on the UAT option (i.e. ADSB only and not WAAS) be advised that in Canada and Mexico (and I assume non US Caribean) you will need 1090ES solutions. UAS is not accepted (when ADSB is fully implemented).

Possible NXi upgrade is pure speculation. There is no indication from Mooney that they'll look at it at all, let alone anytime soon.

Robert

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just had The WAAS upgrade completed last month. Don Maxwell placed the GIA 63W + replaced antenna's and updated software for the G1000. Of the GIA units, one was new the other refurbished. No other units could be located.  My local Avionics shop placed the GTX 345R. Total cost for both about 32K. Not sure if any more units are available. Paul Maxwell is the "go to" guy.

Updating the G1000 to WAAS came with several unexpected G1000 interface upgrades. Such as: Continuous engine data down loading, ease of flight charts up loading (only need to use MFD), greatly enhanced weather info, alternate way to enter squawk code and different altimeter number size (both thousand and hundred numbers are large with only tens and ones places small).

There is no question the LPV approach's are nice. One unrecognized benefit of the WAAS was having so many more IFR alternative airports with precision approaches- 600'-2 vs 800'-2 is significant in wide spread IFR conditions.  

• Like 5

Just to make sure y'all have complete information: while the GIA 63 is no longer manufactured Garmin has said that they will continue to support/repair the units. So if something goes wrong and the unit is repairable you'l be good. 

I seem to recall, but have not verified it, that you actually only need 1 GIA 63W unit for WAAS. So if one breaks completely you should be able to replace it with a GIA 63 and be back in business.

34 minutes ago, Robert C. said:

Just to make sure y'all have complete information: while the GIA 63 is no longer manufactured Garmin has said that they will continue to support/repair the units. So if something goes wrong and the unit is repairable you'l be good. 

I seem to recall, but have not verified it, that you actually only need 1 GIA 63W unit for WAAS. So if one breaks completely you should be able to replace it with a GIA 63 and be back in business.

The GIA 63 and 63W are not backward compatible with each other. I was told by Paul Maxwell that after changing the antenna's and upgrading the G1000 software, the old units would have no value to me as I would not be able to ever use them again. Also, the exchange (63 to 63W) is an all or nothing proposition. The issue is with the G1000 software. The updated programing allows each element in the  "system" to understand each other. I am told the WAAS info is in a different language the old G1000 set up can't understand. 

You are correct in regards to Support for the GIA 63W. I spoke with Garmin directly. There is FULL support for the 63W currently and going foreword for the unforeseeable future.

As far as continued support for the GIA 63 I am not certain. Garmin was rather sketchy about this issue. If I still had the 63's in my plane I would grab 1 or 2 used units removed from a plane that underwent the 63W upgrade. I know there are several units available and would be cheaper than sending one in for possible repair.

There is the possibility that the GIA 64 may work with the G1000 set up. However, this option would have to come though Mooney and I'm told that is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, L. Trotter said:

The GIA 63 and 63W are not backward compatible with each other. I was told by Paul Maxwell that after changing the antenna's and upgrading the G1000 software, the old units would have no value to me as I would not be able to ever use them again. Also, the exchange (63 to 63W) is an all or nothing proposition. The issue is with the G1000 software. The updated programing allows each element in the  "system" to understand each other. I am told the WAAS info is in a different language the old G1000 set up can't understand. 

You are correct in regards to Support for the GIA 63W. I spoke with Garmin directly. There is FULL support for the 63W currently and going foreword for the unforeseeable future.

As far as continued support for the GIA 63 I am not certain. Garmin was rather sketchy about this issue. If I still had the 63's in my plane I would grab 1 or 2 used units removed from a plane that underwent the 63W upgrade. I know there are several units available and would be cheaper than sending one in for possible repair.

There is the possibility that the GIA 64 may work with the G1000 set up. However, this option would have to come though Mooney and I'm told that is highly unlikely.

Both GIAS have to be the same. The latest Mooney s/w -34 is only available for WAAS.  It is possible to go from -34 to -30 s/w the problem with doing it if needed to be done is the GMU is updated to s/w 2.05 during the -34 update and a GMU loader card has to be used to revert back to s/w version 2.01 for -30 to work. So the Gia 63 nonWAAS does have some value in a worst case scenario. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am upgrading my 2007 G1000 non was acclaim to the GIA 63W Plus V nav.  In April, 2019 the cost from don Maxwell is about $36,000.  

I don't need WAAS approaches where I live, but I've noticed that our local LDA has not functioned for several months. The FAA wants to phase ground based navigation out.  Next year the SWR for will go too, I've been told. Since my plane was made by a predecessor Mooney company I am speculating that Mooney International won't certify the G1000 Nxi for my airframe. Since the G100 is part of the type certificate, If I didn't get the full waas now, I might never have it and my plane will be severely handicapped because Garmin has stoped production of the GIA63W.

So I decided to hedge my bet. some upgrade units are still available from Cessna etc, but they won't last much longer.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Randyb said:

I am upgrading my 2007 G1000 non was acclaim to the GIA 63W Plus V nav.  In April, 2019 the cost from don Maxwell is about $36,000.  

I don't need WAAS approaches where I live, but I've noticed that our local LDA has not functioned for several months. The FAA wants to phase ground based navigation out.  Next year the SWR for will go too, I've been told. Since my plane was made by a predecessor Mooney company I am speculating that Mooney International won't certify the G1000 Nxi for my airframe. Since the G100 is part of the type certificate, If I didn't get the full waas now, I might never have it and my plane will be severely handicapped because Garmin has stoped production of the GIA63W.

So I decided to hedge my bet. some upgrade units are still available from Cessna etc, but they won't last much longer.  

Good move!

Even though that represents 10% of the value of your airplane, it will help you preserve the re-sale value and gives you more functionality. The gap in value between waas and non-waas G1000 Mooneys will grow since the supply of conversion parts has dried up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
18 minutes ago, Iceman10c said:

Are the GIA63W's for the WAAS upgrade on an non-WAAS G1000 available?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Only as used units, unless you can find a garmin dealer that has old stock. 
You will need to hunt for them but they are out there. 
In addition to the boxes, you will probably need an additional antenna and a shop that can install that as well as the software.

When shopping you need to check with garmin to see which versions of the boxes will work. If I remember correctly there are either three or four versions of the gia63w and of the two planes that I upgraded to Waas, only two of the versions were compatible with my planes. 
I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of 10k per box on the used market. 
Buying ones that are inoperable are ok too because garmin has a flat rate for overhaul that used to be $1500 per box, and yes they still service them. 

As mentioned in the previous post the GIA63W’s version is critical:
Based on my and Graf Aviators experience:
* -00 versions will NOT work
* -01 versions will work
* other versions: don’t know..
There are several postings by the two of us (and others of course)
Even if you have the right versions, the update process itself requires a lot of patience and retries .
In my case initially downgrading to 401.30 and then upgrading to 401.34 did the trick …
Best,
Matthias

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Hi Mooney space. As a new owner of an Ovation 3 with the non-Wass --- was at the same point as you and searched till I found 2 63W-20's before closing escrow and acceptance flight. Have talked to Kevin at Mooney who has been super helpful in sending information and suggestions on the once available options documentation. Unfortunately Kevin has gone dark for a while and still waiting on the kits manual with parts list if he can put his hands on one. Happy to say I think I now have all the parts (I know about)  but don't have the parts list and manual from the old Kit that is no longer available. If anyone out there has the old parts list from or the kit manual hanging around I would love --- love to have a copy. 

This would help the above as well and I can say from experience the 63W's are out there and make sure you get the latest -20 if at all possible. Be ready to write a good sized check though.