Just sell me the f**$’ng oil

There’s a small aircraft parts shop near my home field.  I had some free time today and decided to change the oil after my 30 hours to Orlando and back last week.  But, I was out of oil.  So I swung in to check the place out and grab the stuff.  Case of XC20w50 and a 48110-2 filter.  I usually buy from aircraft spruce, with shipping it comes out around $115.  She rang me up and told me $176.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I expect to pay more for the local convenience, but $60 more? That’s a bit much.  But whatever.  I was there, so I paid.  As I’m paying, she asks what I fly.  I tell her a Mooney.  At which point she proceeds to rant about how much she doesn’t like Mooneys, how cramped they are and she’d never fly in one, any self respecting pilot would have a bonanza like her husband, etc.  

i was pretty speechless.  

Charge a ton more than your competition? OK, I get it.  It’s a convenience up-charge.  Disparage your customers aircraft? Not cool.  

I wont be back to Aerozona....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I first started flying oil was $36 case. But fuel was $1.55 too. So it is all about the same.

Reminds me.  I’ll be at CHD at noon until who knows when on Tuesday to get my 330 swapped.  Any chance you’ll be around or can I slip an envelope under your hangar door? :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Reminds me.  I’ll be at CHD at noon until who knows when on Tuesday to get my 330 swapped.  Any chance you’ll be around or can I slip an envelope under your hangar door? :ph34r:

I could come out about 4:00 if you are still there.

Im currently 200 ft from MZB

12D8B120-4107-4993-8439-F3257854FB5C.jpeg

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

I would have politely said, “on second thought your oil and filter are too special for my Mooney and walked away.”   Today with the near immediate availability of products and services with just a few clicks, there’s simply no reason for a “local” shop to forget that they really are no longer that convenient.  

3 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

There’s a small aircraft parts shop near my home field.  I had some free time today and decided to change the oil after my 30 hours to Orlando and back last week.  But, I was out of oil.  So I swung in to check the place out and grab the stuff.  Case of XC20w50 and a 48110-2 filter.  I usually buy from aircraft spruce, with shipping it comes out around $115.  She rang me up and told me $176.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I expect to pay more for the local convenience, but $60 more? That’s a bit much.  But whatever.  I was there, so I paid.  As I’m paying, she asks what I fly.  I tell her a Mooney.  At which point she proceeds to rant about how much she doesn’t like Mooneys, how cramped they are and she’d never fly in one, any self respecting pilot would have a bonanza like her husband, etc.  

i was pretty speechless.  

Charge a ton more than your competition? OK, I get it.  It’s a convenience up-charge.  Disparage your customers aircraft? Not cool.  

I wont be back to Aerozona....

I,ll bet you went to that little supply store across from KDVT

27 minutes ago, gacoon said:

Yea she’s quite a character.

No kidding.   If you can tolerate her she does have a lot of inventory and pretty much knows where every little obscure thing is in the place, so if she's got it (and she often does), she'll take you right to it.   I've gotten all kinds of weird little fasteners and pieces and stuff there that I figured would put me on a goose chase, but she'll go right to it and pull one off the shelf.

And for some reason she's exceptionally proud of the oil.   I only bought oil there once, too, and on most other stuff her prices are about where I expect them to be for "I need it right now" stuff.  

I pretty much expect aviation people to be quirky.   It seems to come with the territory for some reason, all present company excepted.  ;)

1 hour ago, Pritch said:

I go to the local Jobber and pick up my oil, a case of Philip wc20/50 is $62 out the door CA sales tax included (8.5%).  

Pritch

At the local store in Klamath falls, $56 bucks a case (12qt) for Phillips x/c 20W50.

160 bucks? Wow... just wow.  I won’t be shopping there, that’s for sure!

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

No kidding.   If you can tolerate her she does have a lot of inventory and pretty much knows where every little obscure thing is in the place, so if she's got it (and she often does), she'll take you right to it.   I've gotten all kinds of weird little fasteners and pieces and stuff there that I figured would put me on a goose chase, but she'll go right to it and pull one off the shelf.

And for some reason she's exceptionally proud of the oil.   I only bought oil there once, too, and on most other stuff her prices are about where I expect them to be for "I need it right now" stuff.  

I pretty much expect aviation people to be quirky.   It seems to come with the territory for some reason, all present company excepted.  ;)

I don't really even mind the markup.  I do, but if I absolutely needed oil, it's nice to have a local place.  But when you throw in the attitude, next time I'll just have stuff overnighted.  Probably wouldn't cost any more and I wouldn't have to deal with her

Hi-Larious.  I would of laughed in her face and turned around and walked out.  She would of never gotten the Mooney dig in because I would of been laughing to loud as I walked out the door. I can buy two cases for that from Signature no less delivered to my door.

You are out of the CB club bub.

5 hours ago, MB65E said:

The lady at the parts place across at DVT has always been nice to me. Was Aerozona a new name for the Same place. I thought it was AZ air parts. 

-Matt

That's her.   Karen the Queen of Parts.

I like that we have a local resource like that for "oh, crap, need it right now" stuff, but I think that's all anybody goes there for.    Not sure how much longer she's gonna be around, as the last time I was in there she was complaining about how bad business is.

Every time I leave there I have to check my ears to see how much has been chewed off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1