G500 TXi Upgrade

So currently the avionics guy said I don’t have an EIS capable TXI in the quote.
Which is crazy as I need to replace the edm 700.
So I’m awaiting a response from him to include Eis capable G500 TXi.
He’s quoted for all the probes so why go half way.
Would you suggest a separate 7” display?
I’d lean toward the eng page on Mfd of 1060
Be interested in cost difference.
I’ll keep you informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 2:42 PM, Steve Skinner said:

Having said go with the G500 TXi 1060 I’m concerned about the side strip EIS.
I currently have an EDM 700 and think I’d be going backwards without replacing it with something equivalent.
From what I’ve read the side strip is no better than the stock engine gauges other than the Egt toggles to the hottest cylinder.
So my personal max cht is 400 yet the poh is 500 and all I’ll have is a red line at poh setting of 500 and no way of knowing what’s in between?
If it was an IO 360 or non turboed aircraft I wouldn’t worry as much but being ignorant of what’s going on inside the fan doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Does anyone have experience with the strip? And how good is the EIS 7”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 10.5" Txi with the EIS strip, removing my EDM 800. At first, I thought it would be less data, but it is actually MUCH more and intuitive. The EIS gives you advisories when you are starting to get close (so for your CHT's you'll get a blinking when your cht's even start to get higher in the yellow zone, along with your other parameters, much easier to detect earlier than on any EDM system). My EIS has allowed me to run my engine much more efficiently.  If you have the 10 inch display and you want to look at all of your parameters, (like startup and takeoff I have my engine page usually up) going to the engine page on the secondary page does exactly that and will give you actual numeric values for your parameters. I wouldn't suggest the 7" engine only display unless you've got lots of real estate in the panel, as your EDM 700 will show similar data with less real estate. The only thing the EIS does not have that the EDM's do is a numeric display of CO levels, which I wish Garmin would add as an option if you have CO sensing equipment in your airplane,(Garmin has it integrated in the G1000 series)  but apparently there's not enough pilots requesting it yet for them to add it for now. Other than the CO level issue,  the EIS is at least equivalent to the EDM, and with the advisories, I think it alerts you faster before there is a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

im now on the same page as you and my avionics guy.

I didn’t realize the engine page existed but now I get it. Current plan is to place the 1060TXI as close as practical to the left and the G5 to the right of that with the wx1000 below the g5.

I couldn’t justify upgrading to the wx 500 while still having a working stormscope.

My avionics guy is going to include the wiring for the wx500 in the wiring diagram for the eventual installation.

There are some great panels on the site to model off. I’d prefer to move the lighting switches as Don has done but there is another panel without them moved so we (avionics guy) can see it is possible to do each way. 

Plane is going in tomorrow to start strip.