G500 TXi Upgrade

2 hours ago, donkaye said:

I'd much prefer the GFC 600 because it is an integrated unit and doesn't require the G5 and some other stuff, but Garmin seems to have no intention to certify it for the Mooney.  I've asked multiple times and the answer is always, NO.

Don, just curous, you say the G5 and some other stuff.  What other stuff are you referring to, the Gad-29, or is there more?  I now have a TXi, a G5, and the GAD-29 (don't need the B which saves a couple of hundred $$) and am anxiously waiting for the GFC-500 so I'm curious if I'm missing something.  Thanks

20 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

Don, just curous, you say the G5 and some other stuff.  What other stuff are you referring to, the Gad-29, or is there more?  I now have a TXi, a G5, and the GAD-29 (don't need the B which saves a couple of hundred $$) and am anxiously waiting for the GFC-500 so I'm curious if I'm missing something.  Thanks

No, just the GAD-29.

The quote for the Aspens was written up with $10k discount because that was what they had. 2 1000 and 1 500 that had been bought and paid for by a customer.

The customer was taking the loss to get rid of the set.

As I have the GTN 750, remote transponder etc I’d rather stick with Garmin. Especially since I can get rid of my engine gauges including my failed fuel pressure gauge. 

Not that I’m planning on selling the plane yet but at 65 yrs old I think it would sell quicker with an all Garmin panel.

I’m positive I wouldn’t get my money back for the panel but it would stand out against others on the market.

Im at 1100 hours so soon looking at a mid life turbo and maybe a new exhaust system - life saving items.

the original zero time rebuild cost $90000 Au $

The KAP auto pilot has been faultless so far although the last 2 LNAV approaches didn’t go to plan as the autopilot didn’t couple to the GS. However the last approach, an ILS flew perfectly - maybe it was the start of the problems with the EFIS.?

Thanks for the encouragement 

4 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

The quote for the Aspens was written up with $10k discount because that was what they had. 2 1000 and 1 500 that had been bought and paid for by a customer.

The customer was taking the loss to get rid of the set.

As I have the GTN 750, remote transponder etc I’d rather stick with Garmin. Especially since I can get rid of my engine gauges including my failed fuel pressure gauge. 

Not that I’m planning on selling the plane yet but at 65 yrs old I think it would sell quicker with an all Garmin panel.

I’m positive I wouldn’t get my money back for the panel but it would stand out against others on the market.

Im at 1100 hours so soon looking at a mid life turbo and maybe a new exhaust system - life saving items.

the original zero time rebuild cost $90000 Au $

The KAP auto pilot has been faultless so far although the last 2 LNAV approaches didn’t go to plan as the autopilot didn’t couple to the GS. However the last approach, an ILS flew perfectly - maybe it was the start of the problems with the EFIS.?

Thanks for the encouragement 

It will sell faster with any improvements in the avionics stack. Just ask Tom how long it took to get an offer on his Aspen equipped E model.

Looks like I’m leaning toward. G500 xti with eis.

as the cost in Australia installed is close to $60k I was looking for some short cuts

im taking out my wx1000 and adding a wx500 

So pretty much all glass.

The GCU 485 - is it necessary?

its listed as an option.

i guess I better download the simulator and try to work it out.

Has anyone had experience with this?

2 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

Looks like I’m leaning toward. G500 xti with eis.

as the cost in Australia installed is close to $60k I was looking for some short cuts

im taking out my wx1000 and adding a wx500 

So pretty much all glass.

The GCU 485 - is it necessary?

its listed as an option.

i guess I better download the simulator and try to work it out.

Has anyone had experience with this?

I have the G500 TXi, and vouch for its worth.  There is absolutely no comparison between it and a couple of Aspens.  If you're NOT going to get the GFC 500 when it becomes available late this year or early next year for the Mooney, then I recommend that you get the GCU 485, unless you like the PFD on the right side and the MFD on the left.  Reaching over with your right hand to set GPSS, ALT, and V/S is clumsy.  I've changed my screen to right PFD and left MFD but didn't like it, so reversed it again.  I wish I had purchased the GCU 485, and would change my panel once again to add it were I not considering adding the GFC 500 next year which essentially would take the place of the GCU 485.  If you add the GCU 485, place it in a comfortable position for control with your right hand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, donkaye said:

I have the G500 TXi, and vouch for its worth.  There is absolutely no comparison between it and a couple of Aspens.  If you're NOT going to get the GFC 500 when it becomes available late this year or early next year for the Mooney, then I recommend that you get the GCU 485, unless you like the PFD on the right side and the MFD on the left.  Reaching over with your right hand to set GPSS, ALT, and V/S is clumsy.  I've changed my screen to right PFD and left MFD but didn't like it, so reversed it again.  I wish I had purchased the GCU 485, and would change my panel once again to add it were I not considering adding the GFC 500 next year which essentially would take the place of the GCU 485.  If you add the GCU 485, place it in a comfortable position for control with your right hand.

That seals it for me. I’m adding the GCU 485. The GFC 500 isn’t an option for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smccray said:

That seals it for me. I’m adding the GCU 485. The GFC 500 isn’t an option for me.

You can’t go wrong with the TXI. I have a feeling the g5/10 inch txi/gfc500/gtn750 combo will be the high end standard for the next 10-15 years.  I took a huge loss moving an aspen system. Had to just about give away the mfd screen but it was worth it IMO. The TXI screen is just amazing and really easy to use. 

12 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

You can’t go wrong with the TXI. I have a feeling the g5/10 inch txi/gfc500/gtn750 combo will be the high end standard for the next 10-15 years.  I took a huge loss moving an aspen system. Had to just about give away the mfd screen but it was worth it IMO. The TXI screen is just amazing and really easy to use. 

:)  I'll take that bet.  I anticipate there will be an alternative to the 10" TXI that combines with the G5 and some Garmin navigator.  I'll also bet that it's integrated in a way that a GTN series (or whatever replaces the GTN) will be required.

Ok.

Ive confirmed the order including the 4 button GCU 485.

Thanks for all the advice especially Don.

Ive experienced difficulties with GTN 750 in turbulence so I suspect the 485 will alleviate some of those issues with the G500 TXi?

ive ordered the 10.6” screen and will run the EFS down the side. Although I’ve not yet read the manuals I assume I can expand it while setting climb and cruise performance. Personally very familiar with engine parameters so just seeing hottest cylinder at a glance is adequate.

On a hot day it’s common to see cht’s at 400. I suspect with the ability to cruise climb at 130 knots rather than fpm will keep a lid on unexpected temp increases above my personal limit of 400.

i canned the wx 500 and will put up with my wx 1000 with it limitations. It pushed my total price over $60k Au.

19 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Steve, will I see you in Bathurst next Fri? While I dont currently have any time with the G500XTI, I do with the G1000NXI and I believe a lot of the features are included with the G500TXI

No afraid not.

i originally put my hand up for this PPP but forgot all about it.

as it happens with the EHSI 40 caput id be a non starter anyway

8 hours ago, smccray said:

The GFC 500 is not an option for me either. The KAP 150 is a great auto pilot and unless it fails I’ll be sticking with it.

so I’m happy I’ve made the decision. Adding charts to GFC 500 txi will also leave me with an empty lap.

I’m wondering if I then have to unlock charts on the GTN 750 as well?

Guess I’d better start reading some manuals. Using iPad on far right now empty panel with Garmin Pilot on it also possibilities.

Wonder if you can throw EIS to it? 

6 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Sorry Don but this is purely a biased opinion on your part.

Well, maybe, but I have used both systems extensively, taught both systems extensively,  and have been an Electrical Engineer on display systems in the past.  Subjective?  How about just a professional expert opinion then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Skinner said:

Ok.

Ive confirmed the order including the 4 button GCU 485.

Thanks for all the advice especially Don.

Ive experienced difficulties with GTN 750 in turbulence so I suspect the 485 will alleviate some of those issues with the G500 TXi?

ive ordered the 10.6” screen and will run the EFS down the side. Although I’ve not yet read the manuals I assume I can expand it while setting climb and cruise performance. Personally very familiar with engine parameters so just seeing hottest cylinder at a glance is adequate.

On a hot day it’s common to see cht’s at 400. I suspect with the ability to cruise climb at 130 knots rather than fpm will keep a lid on unexpected temp increases above my personal limit of 400.

i canned the wx 500 and will put up with my wx 1000 with it limitations. It pushed my total price over $60k Au.

No!  You can sell the WX 1000 for about $2,000.  Get the WX 500 interfaced to the G500TXi, GTN 750, and GTN 650.  You won't be sorry.  With the WX 1000, you can look forward to repairs that could exceed the cost of the WX 500 in that you have both the old CRT and another box to worry about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

The GFC 500 is not an option for me either. The KAP 150 is a great auto pilot and unless it fails I’ll be sticking with it.

so I’m happy I’ve made the decision. Adding charts to GFC 500 txi will also leave me with an empty lap.

Guess I’d better start reading some manuals. Using iPad on far right now empty panel with Garmin Pilot on it also possibilities.

If you buy the Garmin OnePak, Charts come with it for both the GTN 750 and G500 TXi.

46 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Well, maybe, but I have used both systems extensively, taught both systems extensively,  and have been an Electrical Engineer on display systems in the past.  Subjective?  How about just a professional expert opinion then?

Perhaps, but I would have expected an "expert" to acknowledge the new Aspen Pro Max as the comparison to the TXi 

or at least mention that yours was an apples to oranges comparison. 

Look, I know you are a Garmin guy, no problem but you also influence others with comments that are pure opinion. I would hope that all of us are not exactly alike and some have varying needs and likes that differ from yours. 

I like your criticism of the TXi handling of the touch screen control and the fact that you can "fix" it for a mere $2200 extra. Great endorsement among the other problems you don't like about the PFD, MFD layouts etc. 

I could go on but I hope you get the point.

3 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

To add to what Don said you do not need to pay for a charts unlock for either unit unless you want Jeppesen charts. The Garmin one pack will provide updated charts for both the 750 and txi. I’m not entirely sure if the txi pulls the info from the 750. Meaning if a single 430w was used to drive the txi I’m not sure if flight charts can be used?

52 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

To add to what Don said you do not need to pay for a charts unlock for either unit unless you want Jeppesen charts. The Garmin one pack will provide updated charts for both the 750 and txi. I’m not entirely sure if the txi pulls the info from the 750. Meaning if a single 430w was used to drive the txi I’m not sure if flight charts can be used?

That’s interesting.

I'm currently using Jeppesen charts. If I change to Garmin one pack I’d avoid the unlock price?

I’ll check if they have one pack for Australia.

7 minutes ago, Steve Skinner said:

That’s interesting.

I'm currently using Jeppesen charts. If I change to Garmin one pack I’d avoid the unlock price?

I’ll check if they have one pack for Australia.

You will need to use the Garmin version charts but you are correct in that no unlock is needed. 

3 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Perhaps, but I would have expected an "expert" to acknowledge the new Aspen Pro Max as the comparison to the TXi 

or at least mention that yours was an apples to oranges comparison. 

Look, I know you are a Garmin guy, no problem but you also influence others with comments that are pure opinion. I would hope that all of us are not exactly alike and some have varying needs and likes that differ from yours. 

I like your criticism of the TXi handling of the touch screen control and the fact that you can "fix" it for a mere $2200 extra. Great endorsement among the other problems you don't like about the PFD, MFD layouts etc. 

I could go on but I hope you get the point.

I don't believe the Aspen Max Pro is available, yet.  If it is, I haven't seen one installed in any of my student's airplanes, so can't comment on it, yet.  I can comment that the older Aspen's flight path marker cannot keep up with rates of turn much greater than about 20°.  You are absolutely right, though.  Comparing the Garmin G500 TXi to the original Aspens is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a VW Bug.

• Thanks 2

Having said go with the G500 TXi 1060 I’m concerned about the side strip EIS.
I currently have an EDM 700 and think I’d be going backwards without replacing it with something equivalent.
From what I’ve read the side strip is no better than the stock engine gauges other than the Egt toggles to the hottest cylinder.
So my personal max cht is 400 yet the poh is 500 and all I’ll have is a red line at poh setting of 500 and no way of knowing what’s in between?
If it was an IO 360 or non turboed aircraft I wouldn’t worry as much but being ignorant of what’s going on inside the fan doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Does anyone have experience with the strip? And how good is the EIS 7”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having said go with the G500 TXi 1060 I’m concerned about the side strip EIS.
I currently have an EDM 700 and think I’d be going backwards without replacing it with something equivalent.
From what I’ve read the side strip is no better than the stock engine gauges other than the Egt toggles to the hottest cylinder.
So my personal max cht is 400 yet the poh is 500 and all I’ll have is a red line at poh setting of 500 and no way of knowing what’s in between?
If it was an IO 360 or non turboed aircraft I wouldn’t worry as much but being ignorant of what’s going on inside the fan doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Does anyone have experience with the strip? And how good is the EIS 7”?

Further reading suggests there is an engine page on the MFD of 1060 that fulfills all my issues.
I’m yet to be convinced

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve Skinner said:

Further reading suggests there is an engine page on the MFD of 1060 that fulfills all my issues.
I’m yet to be convinced

I feel it’s a good value. You can use a lot of the wiring/sensors you have for the 700 on the EIS system which provides a install savings and a slight equipment discount.  It provides all of he info you need on the selectable split screen and the basics on the side strip. 

306AA1FD-CF2F-4F0C-A9A6-AACCBACDECB2.jpeg