Don't be like me!

Kristoffer

16 minutes ago, Txbyker said:

There are a lot of good YouTube channels.  My favs are BarronPilot, Steveo1kinevo, Matt Guthmiller, Backcountry pilots, and one of the best, FlightChops.  All very enjoyable and I appreciate the creative vlogs.

Russ

I have watched all except Backcountry Pilots. There are a few others I have watched Premier1Driver, Martin Pauly, Jerry W (Air Wagner) and Mr.Aviation. They all have pluses and minuses. Some of them have gotten pretty boring, like Jerry W's stuff. How many times are we going to see a trip between Oakland and Auburn? 

Personally, I would like to see more procedural stuff. More instrument flying and things you can learn from. The stuff most of these guys show is repetitive.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I have watched all except Backcountry Pilots. There are a few others I have watched Premier1Driver, Martin Pauly, Jerry W (Air Wagner) and Mr.Aviation. They all have pluses and minuses. Some of them have gotten pretty boring, like Jerry W's stuff. How many times are we going to see a trip between Oakland and Auburn? 

Personally, I would like to see more procedural stuff. More instrument flying and things you can learn from. The stuff most of these guys show is repetitive.

I agree with you.  I am getting impatient for action and find myself fast forwarding a lot.  I have to admit, I am starting to get 31" tire-envy.  Those backcountry guys are flying the CubCrafters and SuperCubs and landing next to rivers in just a few feet.  It looks like a blast.

Russ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristoffer said:

Wow That's a big assumption. I have never click baited, but thanks for making an opinion about something you haven't even watched! 

It Is a click bait.

I believed it would be an important safety video.

But after a totally mundane flight, I am astounded to find that the trouble you were in was, forgetting to call your MOM!

I will be sure to ignore your videos in the future,,,   OH and I want 25 minutes of my wasted life returned!

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I ate the bait last night. His Mommy is mad at him...

Did you appreciate the humor? I was hoping most people would find it funny. After all its not everyday Tower announces they received a call from their Mother!! LOL

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I have viewed and enjoyed some of @Kristoffer‘s content when perusing YouTube for aviation content as well.  

Sorry but I was just calling it like I saw it.  27K YouTube followers and pretty much exclusively posting non type specific video content to a type specific forum utilizing titilating and non-descriptive lead-ins.

@Kristoffer, if you are not here promoting your YouTube channel then by all means please accept my apologies.  I was mistaken.  The title of this thread is primarily what I was referring to. With nothing else to go on it reminded me of the scam emails you get sometimes that are just begging you to open the attachment. 

Jim

I assumed that you would appreciate the humor of what happened. Most of us has been flying long enough to know that ATC would not say "You're in big Trouble" rather they would just say call the tower. So that should have been a clear indication that there was some humor coming. I could have titled it "Mom called the tower" but then I would have given away the punch line in the title. Kinda pointless. 

Anyways, I joined this forum when I owned my Mooney. At BeechTalk we welcome ALL aircraft owners. If no longer owning a Mooney keeps me or my videos from being welcome on this forum I will gladly unsubscribe without any hard feelings. But I would be surprised as that kinda goes against the "Aviation is a family" mentality".

2 hours ago, Txbyker said:

There are a lot of good YouTube channels.  My favs are BarronPilot, Steveo1kinevo, Matt Guthmiller, Backcountry pilots, and one of the best, FlightChops.  All very enjoyable and I appreciate the creative vlogs.

Russ

Thank you Russ! Hope to see you at OSH

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

It's hard to keep them fresh and to be honest it seems that most people actually want to see the same thing over and over again. For example, when I have posted videos with warbirds, other airplanes or even with other youtubers, those videos seem to receive less interests.

With that being said I still try to mix it up.  Anyways, thanks for watching!

Did you appreciate the humor? I was hoping most people would find it funny. After all its not everyday Tower announces they received a call from their Mother!! LOL

I actually thought you got into real FAA trouble. At the beginning of the video the clearance guy called you 75Y and you accepted the clearance as 75W. Thought it related to that.

Your channel has always had a normal, more serious tone to it. Intended humor interjected into your title just didn’t translate. I was hoping to learn how to avoid a mistake, not what I saw instead.

One of the reasons Mr. Aviation 101 has such a large following is he does a good job of translating the experience of flying across all age groups. There is something there for everyone. Steveo1Kinevo has a different approach. He flies stuff we would all want to fly and to places we all want to go to. How about adding some more content around your flight planning and other aspects of the flights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

38 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

No.  That’s not at all the point, or my intention. 

You have YouTube, Facebook, Google, Instagram, Patreon, and who-knows-what other sites promoting your vlogs, so clearly you are serious about promoting your content. As a customer I was just giving you a little feedback.  Nothing more. Nothing less.  I still haven’t watched that video, and I almost assuredly would have if it had been more straightforwardly titled or introduced.

Your Lucy series seems to have done quite well. 

Jim

The idea was to create suspense to make the punchline funnier. Lets be honest, If I didn't title it the way I did, even most of my loyal subscribers would have stopped watching before the very end. After all, how would they have even known what to wait for?

42 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I actually thought you got into real FAA trouble. At the beginning of the video the clearance guy called you 75Y and you accepted the clearance as 75W. Thought it related to that.

Your channel has always had a normal, more serious tone to it. Intended humor interjected into your title just didn’t translate. I was hoping to learn how to avoid a mistake, not what I saw instead.

One of the reasons Mr. Aviation 101 has such a large following is he does a good job of translating the experience of flying across all age groups. There is something there for everyone. Steveo1Kinevo has a different approach. He flies stuff we would all want to fly and to places we all want to go to. How about adding some more content around your flight planning and other aspects of the flights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is a great example of what was mentioned above. Many people want new and fresh videos, then I insert humor and some people complain that it is not my usual tone. As a yo tuber, it is impossible to make and keep everyone happy. Im wrong for not keeping it fresh then I'm wrong for inserting something new/different. 

But I do appreciate your feedback.

The idea was to create suspense to make the punchline funnier. Lets be honest, If I didn't title it the way I did, even most of my loyal subscribers would have stopped watching before the very end. After all, how would they have even known what to wait for?

To be honest with you, I went to the end of the video after you started flying to see the “trouble”. When I saw what it was, I didn’t watch the rest of it. Sorry...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just now, Marauder said:

To be honest with you, I went to the end of the video after you started flying to see the “trouble”. When I saw what it was, I didn’t watch the rest of it. Sorry...

That's fine. But you have to admit most people turn off after touchdown. I know I often do.

17 minutes ago, Kristoffer said:

This,,, ^^^^^  right there,,  your own words tell us all that this 25 minute waste of our time was indeed Click Bait!!

Titled very specifically just to get us to watch your stupid video! 

Oh and by the way,,,   the punch line, the whole point, of the funny video, was a giant fail,  because of your deceit... 

IF,,,   You had just edited the video down to the single minute that actually counted,,, Nobody including me, would be bitching you out...

1 hour ago, mpg said:

This,,, ^^^^^  right there,,  your own words tell us all that this 25 minute waste of our time was indeed Click Bait!!

Titled very specifically just to get us to watch your stupid video! 

Oh and by the way,,,   the punch line, the whole point, of the funny video, was a giant fail,  because of your deceit... 

IF,,,   You had just edited the video down to the single minute that actually counted,,, Nobody including me, would be bitching you out...

I assume you don’t watch movies either. Or tv shows or read a book. It’s called a tease. Just like all stories,  you build up suspense. Otherwise all movies and tv would be 5 minutes at best  

By all means my videos videos aren’t for everyone. But complaining about something you haven’t seen nor are forced to watch doesn’t do anyone, including this forum, any good. Life is way to short to be so angry and bitter. 

Edited by Kristoffer

1 hour ago, Kristoffer said:

I assume you don’t watch movies either. Or tv shows or read a book. It’s called a tease. Just like all stories,  you build up suspense. Otherwise all movies and tv would be 5 minutes at best  

By all means my videos videos aren’t for everyone. But complaining about something you haven’t seen nor are forced to watch doesn’t do anyone, including this forum, any good. Life is way to short to be so angry and bitter. 

Just to provide a little more hopefully constructive feedback, a tease has to pay off for the viewer.   If the viewer has the feeling of, "am I getting sucked into clickbait?", and waits for the punchline/payoff/buildup and then has the feeling of, "I'm not falling for that again," then I think that strategy is going to fail without better execution.   As others have stated, expectation plays a role, too, and if the punchline is not within the realms of expectation for the product, if the punch line isn't a home run it's probably going to be a problem.

So it's fine to put in teasers, and humor, it just needs to fit well and pay off for the viewers.  I think some of the feedback you're getting is that this one wasn't a home run for everyone.   My personal feeling was similar to Marauder's;  I watched the whole thing on the expectation (which was set up by you at the beginning), that there was a procedural or other error that happened that resulted in a problem and it was a puzzle for the viewer to see if they could spot it.   At the end my feeling was of betrayal and let down and that I'd just wasted a bunch of time that I'd never get back.  I suspect that's not what you were looking for.

I know it's hard to produce stuff like this, so I hope you take the feedback constructively.

This conversation reminds me of the experience Jerry W had on Pilots of America’s website. He posted a video of himself flying around the Bay Area at low altitudes and got a crap storm of how unsafe he was conducting those flights. In my opinion it was a fair treatment because some of those videos showed him extremely low and over areas where he clearly didn’t abide by the 1000’ separation. His videos since then have been pretty benign, although he periodically will post some lower altitude videos in the uninhabited areas.

That's fine. But you have to admit most people turn off after touchdown. I know I often do.

I watch them to the end. Steveo1Kinveo will always have some sort of shutdown or after landing epilogue.

I watch the ends of your videos in hope that one of your GoPros will catch Lucy punching you for taking her through turbulence.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kristoffer said:

All that was fine I thought! Just needed to be 4 minutes not 25 :)

• Like 1