ipad mini

mcrouch

Im not sure where the original thread appeared on Mooneyspace so I can't post in that particular group. Perhaps someone who does remember can repost this to that particular forum.

But it appears that there might be a replacement for the Ipad mini on the horizon. Now sure how software makers will respond with aviation specific stuff for this new entry or whether they will respond at all. At the moment, I don't think this is available in anything smaller than the 9.7 inch size but they may shrink it in the future. I post only to make folks aware of it. No connection with the item, no stock in it, blah, blah, blah.

Avare runs brilliantly on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A, mini size. Automatically switches to airport diagram after landing, too. Georeferenced plates and everything. 

People don't like it because it doesn't have partially eaten fruit on it, and is easier to use. Did I say it's less expensive hardware, has a memory card slot, and the Avare EFB app is free?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

No EFB software runs on Windows, it’s still too big....the mini replacements are already here, they’re called Iphone plus.

Both FltPlan Go! and iFly GPS have Windows offerings. FltPlan Go is subject to all the things some folks don't like about it.  iFly runs pretty much the same as it does on its other platforms.

Edited by midlifeflyer

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

Avare runs brilliantly on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A, mini size. Automatically switches to airport diagram after landing, too. Georeferenced plates and everything. 

People don't like it because it doesn't have partially eaten fruit on it, and is easier to use. Did I say it's less expensive hardware, has a memory card slot, and the Avare EFB app is free?

Sigh. I'm curious. How many of the EFBs out there have you tried to be so sure of your comparison?  What makes you assume one's like or dislike of Avare has anything to do with partially eaten fruit. Personally, I've tried Avare at least 6 times since its earliest incarnation and found it very cumbersome compared to most of the dozen or so EFBs I've tried.

2 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Sigh. I'm curious. How many of the EFBs out there have you tried to be so sure of your comparison?  What makes you assume one's like or dislike of Avare has anything to do with partially eaten fruit. Personally, I've tried Avare at least 6 times since its earliest incarnation and found it very cumbersome compared to most of the dozen or so EFBs I've tried.

Just pointing out that when the ipad mini is discontinued, there are options besides the non-functional Windows machines. There are multiple android EFBs, and multiple mini android boxes, all at a fraction of the fruit prices . . . So no need to cry over once-bitten fruit.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

So no need to cry over once-bitten fruit.

I've had that fruit since 1984. Thank goodness I also bought stock in it--helping to fuel the aviation habit into retirement ;).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, HRM said:

I've had that fruit since 1984. Thank goodness I also bought stock in it--helping to fuel the aviation habit into retirement ;).

I agree with @Hank.  I am to young to have taken a bite out of the fruit so I started with something cheaper and more customizable for my vfr only flying.  Android devices with Avare work great and are easier for me to use than foreflight which I have sampled many times flying with my brother who is a professional pilot.

I am a windows fan but have no faith that Microsoft will be able to bring a usable tablet, operating system and appropriate app to market.

13 hours ago, Hank said:

Just pointing out that when the ipad mini is discontinued, there are options besides the non-functional Windows machines. There are multiple android EFBs, and multiple mini android boxes, all at a fraction of the fruit prices . . . So no need to cry over once-bitten fruit.

I definitely agree with that. Lots more options out there than when I started using an EFB.

11 hours ago, Kmac said:

LOL, I skipped ME, Vista and 8...

MS-DOS 4.0, WIN 98 (first release), ME, VISTA, 8.0. All reasons to skip Microsoft releases.

And let's not talk about Microsoft Bob....:blink:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

How about BASIC and FORTRAN?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Did BASIC, was in the first class in college to skip FORTRAN and use IBM PCs in the lab. All had dual floppies, put in the system disk, shut the door, flip on the switch and go have a cup of coffee--it might be ready to run when you got back. Only two PCs had printers, so when you were done and ready to print, you just traded computers with whoever had a printer . . .

I was a serious DOS junkie, forced to upgrade to Winders 98 to go online. Skipped ME, Vista and 8; forced to upgrade from 7 to 10 when my hard drive died, but figured out how to install Explorer and remove the stupid icon for the other E-word and run it now as a Classic Shell so that it looks like 7 instead of having [unchangeable] different-sized icons, where the large ones are all things I don't use . . . . They were hoping with the similar name and almost-identical icon that no one would notice that Explorer had been lobotomized, renamed and permalinked to Bing [another "service" I don't use]. I enjoyed my computer so much more before Bill Gates forced his way into it, and now he wants me to rent the stinking software! No way on God's green earth!!

23 hours ago, teejayevans said:

No EFB software runs on Windows, it’s still too big....the mini replacements are already here, they’re called Iphone plus.

not exactly. My mini is a fair amount larger than my plus.  Plus is 6x3 the mini is 8x5  I’m not sure id want to fly on my plus 

-Robert

• Like 1

I was not familiar with avare until this string..  but it doesn't look like it will run plates and procedures.  I'm still running Mini 3 with foreflight.  As long as Apple will support downloads and Foreflight keeps adding all the cool stuff they do.  I think I'll stick with my set up.  I can't even justify moving to a Mini 4 (unless there is something I don't know?)??

5 hours ago, Oldguy said:

MS-DOS 4.0, WIN 98 (first release), ME, VISTA, 8.0. All reasons to skip Microsoft releases.

And let's not talk about Microsoft Bob....:blink:

You forgot Windows 2000!
Funny story.  When I was working at WorldCom, MS was one of our big customers for modems.  They insisted that the servers run in Windows rather than Solaris.  Their stuff was always going down and when they asked what we could do to improve their uptimes from top to bottom on the technical side they said switch to Solaris.  That was a no-go, so they continued to eat their own dog food.

Did BASIC, was in the first class in college to skip FORTRAN and use IBM PCs in the lab. All had dual floppies, put in the system disk, shut the door, flip on the switch and go have a cup of coffee--it might be ready to run when you got back. Only two PCs had printers, so when you were done and ready to print, you just traded computers with whoever had a printer . . .
I was a serious DOS junkie, forced to upgrade to Winders 98 to go online. Skipped ME, Vista and 8; forced to upgrade from 7 to 10 when my hard drive died, but figured out how to install Explorer and remove the stupid icon for the other E-word and run it now as a Classic Shell so that it looks like 7 instead of having [unchangeable] different-sized icons, where the large ones are all things I don't use . . . . They were hoping with the similar name and almost-identical icon that no one would notice that Explorer had been lobotomized, renamed and permalinked to Bing [another "service" I don't use]. I enjoyed my computer so much more before Bill Gates forced his way into it, and now he wants me to rent the stinking software! No way on God's green earth!!

Just like I thought. You’re a youngster. You ain’t computing unless you have had the privilege of creating punch cards. What’s all this floppy disc talk about?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hank said:

I enjoyed my computer so much more before Bill Gates forced his way into it, and now he wants me to rent the stinking software! No way on God's green earth!!

Completely agree. Also explains why I changed everything I have over to Apple about 5 years ago. I am not happier, but I am SIGNIFICANTLY less UN-happy.

11 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

What is the motivation to replace your iPad mini? If it works just keep it.

My mini 3 is quickly becoming useless for all but Foreflight, and I have the suspicion that after another release or so it won't run Foreflight either, at least not in a fashion that's useful for in flight navigation.  I could replace it with a larger iPad, but then I loose my nice spot mounting it on the yoke (bigger iPads don't fit).  Don't know where I'd put the thing.  And that is the crux of the problem right there.

The reason the Ipad mini 3 feels slow is because of the limited RAM  (1GB) compared to the latest generation which has 2 - opening up something which hogs a lot of RAM (safari) makes the system feel slow because it is swapping so much into memory or refreshing webpages that it dropped, the CPU is plenty fast enough for EFBs', just need to make sure that you close out as many other apps as you can.