GAMIjectors worth it?

1 hour ago, Badmoonraising said:

The obvious question now is; which monitor system? 

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Best budget engine monitor - GEM G2
Replace all stock/failing gauges - JPI EDM-900
Money and panel space is no object - EI MVP-50

As someone said above, it partially depends on whether or not this is a "Forever" plane or a starter/intermediate one. If this E is your forever plane, the EDM-900 or EDM-930 would be good. Or, as @gsxrpilot alludes to in the portion of his post I copied, when money and panel space are both readily available, the EI MVP-50 works well. If this is a starter or intermediate plane, you might see what @Aerodon may have in the way of engine monitors. He comes across with some good deals on them from time to time.

Or you can jump in like @Bob_Belville did with his "Forever" E. (Picture of his panel and newly painted E should be along shortly....)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldguy said:

As someone said above, it partially depends on whether or not this is a "Forever" plane or a starter/intermediate one. If this E is your forever plane, the EDM-900 or EDM-930 would be good. Or, as @gsxrpilot alludes to in the portion of his post I copied, when money and panel space are both readily available, the EI MVP-50 works well. If this is a starter or intermediate plane, you might see what @Aerodon may have in the way of engine monitors. He comes across with some good deals on them from time to time.

Or you can jump in like @Bob_Belville did with his "Forever" E. (Picture of his panel and newly painted E should be along shortly....)

This old thing? (gami spread on last flight with stock injectors: 0.2 gph)

IMG_20160425_114528488.jpg

IMG_20180710_142435375_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20180710_142652446_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20171221_165403337.jpg

• Like 3

Best budget engine monitor - GEM G2
Replace all stock/failing gauges - JPI EDM-900
Money and panel space is no object - EI MVP-50

Feel free to reach out to me via PM and I'm happy to talk through why these are the only three "new" engine monitors worth your money. You might find a used one which might be a different story. I've had two Mooneys and installed the G2 in the first one and the EDM-900 in the second one. 

Anyway, I'm happy to talk about it. I can also further explain the GAMI thing. 

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

EDM-900 i

+1 on the 900. Then you are not in trouble/out of compliance when the 50 year old analog guages goes :wacko: on you. Also the 900 has gone into quite a few Mooneys on this forum and there are some good resource threads amassing to deal with the quirks.

• Like 1

Now you have me questioning if this is my "forever" airplane. I've come to the conclusion it's not. 

Whether it's your forever airplane or not, your survival as a pilot, as well as your precious cargo, will be greatly enhanced with an engine analyzer and the knowledge of how to use it. These days good airmanship includes the knowledge of how to manage and monitor your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whether it's your forever airplane or not, your survival as a pilot, as well as your precious cargo, will be greatly enhanced with an engine analyzer and the knowledge of how to use it. These days good airmanship includes the knowledge of how to manage and monitor your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention that it will show whether your engine is harboring some deep dark desire to do you in.

It was the first upgrade I did in my Mooney 27 years ago. An Insight GEM 602. It was also what told me what was going on a year later when my engine started sounding like a Harley while I was IMC over some rough terrain. Help me understand that what I was experiencing wasn’t a catastrophic engine failure but one that told me I needed to get on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

It pays for itself in a few years. I'm paying about $5/gal if I buy bulk fuel and haul it, its nearly $6 at the airport pump. Lets say you went middle of the road, there are cheaper options (plus Oshkosh is this coming week, I'm sure there are sales happening!) you paid $2500 installed. For easy math, I'll go with my cheaper fuel. A lot of guys (gender-neutral term;)) cruise at 9.5 gph, I can safely and confidently cruise at 7.5 gph. Run the math, and and it pencils out in my head at 250 hrs. Now, we base fuel burn at real time, and maintenance(TBO) in tach time, which will usually be less depending on cruise RPM. Now the real savings...... doing some more math, 52 gals and fuel burn....... blah blah, at 7.5 gph I have extended my fuel range by almost 1.5 hrs per fill up (1.5hrs x an easy 145kts = a long ways). Now, some will say, because you are flying much slower, that time is wasted.... but anyone that has worked an airplane, has likely learned that time is wasted on the ground (decent, pattern, landing, taxi, pump, chatting, waiting, taxi, clearance.... you get the point). On a long XC, especially at the speeds mooneys fly, you can surely skip one or two fuel stops along the way, saving a lot of time, or if you think of it, you can now reach that next airport with a dollar cheaper gas, with that cute attendant you don't mind chatting up for an hour! So I argue (and have tested flying like airplanes at work racing co-workers) that on long XC's, that time is not made up in the air, but saved by not being on the ground. You can pencil out that it could pay for itself much quicker, in say a year, with all the fuel saved, cheaper priced airports, and time saved (time is money). 

NOW, who has that STC for onboard Potty!

There have been great points above about finding ISSUES before they become PROBLEMS. You now have an instrument that more accurately depicted the health of the engine.  Flip the problem coin....... you know that feeling, and those phantom noises that arise with IFR in the soup, over open water, or rugged mountainous terrain that are also in the same cloud...... That analyzer telling me that my engine is running in tip-top happy helps quiet those.

• Like 1