Best sunshade cover brand

NotarPilot

I’m considering buying a set of sunshades for my plane as they seem easier to put in place as opposed to my cover. Plus I’m concerned the cover can scratch the plexiglass when it sits outside blowing in the wind in places like Las Vegas, although I probably use the cover 5 or less days a year as my plane lives in a hangar when I’m not traveling.

I've seen two brands that offer products that each charge about $230 for a set.  Does anyone have any opinions about Cee Bailey’s versus Bruce’s sunshades?  Thanks

1 minute ago, NotarPilot said:

I’m considering buying a set of sunshades for my plane as they seem easier to put in place as opposed to my cover. Plus I’m concerned the cover can scratch the plexiglass when it sits outside blowing in the wind in places like Las Vegas, although I probably use the cover 5 or less days a year as my plane lives in a hangar when I’m not traveling.

I've seen two brands that offer products that each charge about $230 for a set.  Does anyone have any opinions about Cee Bailey’s versus Bruce’s sunshades?  Thanks

I assume you are talking about the reflective pieces that go in the windows on the inside. If so, Scott McCray built himself a set. He probably will chime in here with a pirep.

• Like 1

Listen, don't buy any of them! Go to your local HomeDepot, Lowes, Menards, etc. Look for this... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-24-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST24025/100020855

$25 will get you enough for two or three sets. Cut them out yourself. When I piece doesn't fit, throw it away and cut another piece. Five pieces, one for each window. Cut them just a smidge large (top/bottom) and they'll stay put in the windows without any fasteners, tape, velcro, nothing. I've been using mine for two years now. When not using them, I lay them all together and roll them up. Wrap a strap around them and toss them in the back. The whole thing weights nothing. It keeps the sun, and more importantly, eyes out of the cockpit. Someone will have to pop the lock, break into the plane to see if I've got glass or Narcos. 

If you're careful to roll them with the window side of the shade inside, they stick better in the windows when unrolled. I've never in two years, had one fall out of the window.

I could take pictures of mine, but seriously, it's too simple. One roll of the stuff, a razor knife or scissors and 20 minutes. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Listen, don't buy any of them! Go to your local HomeDepot, Lowes, Menards, etc. Look for this... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-24-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST24025/100020855

$25 will get you enough for two or three sets. Cut them out yourself. When I piece doesn't fit, throw it away and cut another piece. Five pieces, one for each window. Cut them just a smidge large (top/bottom) and they'll stay put in the windows without any fasteners, tape, velcro, nothing. I've been using mine for two years now. When not using them, I lay them all together and roll them up. Wrap a strap around them and toss them in the back. The whole thing weights nothing. It keeps the sun, and more importantly, eyes out of the cockpit. Someone will have to pop the lock, break into the plane to see if I've got glass or Narcos. 

If you're careful to roll them with the window side of the shade inside, they stick better in the windows when unrolled. I've never in two years, had one fall out of the window.

I could take pictures of mine, but seriously, it's too simple. One roll of the stuff, a razor knife or scissors and 20 minutes. 

That’s great info and thanks for posting the link Paul, I think I’m going to buy that.

Edited by NotarPilot

Use paper on the exterior of windows to make your template run your fingernail around the edge of each window, use that as your layout to cut insulation sheet, then final fit inside aircraft mine took longer than 20 min to make, more like 30 min

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You might also want to follow @Skates97 process and install some static cling window tinting. He discussed it in a post here on MS, but you can also get the instructions on his web site at http://intothesky.us/window-tinting/. With Paul's shades and this tinting, it would likely help both in the air and on the ground.

15 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

When I got my plane it came with some custom ones that had nice little sewn edges and velcro to hole them in place. After a little while I scrapped them and did exactly what Paul said and it provides much better cooling.

For the piece that goes in the windscreen I made it a little larger and cut it in half, makes it easier to slide in from each side than try to work the whole thing between the center post and the windscreen and it overlaps a little in the middle. Instead of rolling them I just toss them in the baggage compartment in between my little travel box that has my spare oil, tools, etc, and the back seat. They fit perfect there and then they also stay flat making it easier to put in.

When I bought the kool scoop for the window I just cut a slit in that one to allow it to fit. My son is the one that puts them in when we land while I put the tie downs on so I took a sharpie and wrote RR, LR, RF, etc... on them along with an arrow for up/front to make it easy to 

I leave them in while I am getting everything situated right up until I get ready to start the engine. If it is really hot out I often leave the back ones in while flying, similar to the curtains some have in their planes but with better heat reflecting properties.

20170826_092319.thumb.jpg.d4f8cc2d9caacc4a3681387a7fb6fe6c.jpg

• Like 2

I've had a lot of success with Kennon Covers over the years on a number of aircraft - including Diamonds.  They worked with us to make on that actually, sort-of, stays in place in that big canopy.

On their website, they state that: 

Each shield has a clear, polyester coating and a soft Sunbrella edge to help prevent scratching. Kennon Sun Shields are often imitated but more pilots trust Kennon Sun Shields than any other. Nothing will keep your plane cooler except air conditioning! Kennon’s service and quality are legendary. Best value, best service, unconditionally guaranteed!

One thing to be careful of: their longbody patterns are cut for steam gauges, not for the lower GX/DX panels, so the windshield coverage is about 1.5" short.  

-dan

Keep in mind that the sunshade puts a lot of the light through your glass twice and will deteriorate it faster. I would not consider it to be an alternative to a cover, but for keeping it so you can touch things inside the plane, I'm sure they're fine. I usually just throw a towel over the yokes and throw the radio things sitting on the dash under the seats. 

I typically use the sunshades on the inside and still throw the cover over the outside. It keeps the interior much cooler and also keeps eyes out of the plane. If someone takes a peek under the cover, they see the plane is locked and the windows are covered from the inside.

Unless she's at home in her hangar.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:48 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I gotta thank you Paul. I bought a 10 foot roll as my Home Depot didn’t have the 25 foot roll.   There’s not much to it.  They are easy to make and you saved me a ton of money.  I’ll get another roll this week and finish the last two windows as I didn’t have enough.  You gotta love that sense of Mooney frugality.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

I gotta thank you Paul. I bought a 10 foot roll as my Home Depot didn’t have the 25 foot roll.   There’s not much to it.  They are easy to make and you saved me a ton of money.  I’ll get another roll this week and finish the last two windows as I didn’t have enough.  You gotta love that sense of Mooney frugality.

+1

I did the same. Made only one for lack of time but this weekend I will finish the small project. Plus I will have plenty left to replace if/when necessary. It actually works pretty well. For the front I use something similar to this. It is flexible enough and I can easily place/remove it.

Thanks Paul!

Edited by FastTex
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that the sunshade puts a lot of the light through your glass twice and will deteriorate it faster. I would not consider it to be an alternative to a cover, but for keeping it so you can touch things inside the plane, I'm sure they're fine. I usually just throw a towel over the yokes and throw the radio things sitting on the dash under the seats. 

That is not my understanding of how it works. What causes crazing is differential heating (inside vs outside). The light itself does not harm the plexiglass.

I'm not a big fan of the alternative (covers), as they do risk damaging the plexi and are a mess to deal with on a rainy day or Dewey morning.

Kennon sells both and has some good content on their site.

27 minutes ago, laytonl said:

One more thing to the Home Depot sunshades.  My wife sews a hem around the edges which prevents fraying and then tend to last longer.  I’ve used homemade sunshades for 30 years.  Lee

Yep, something like this.  I made these a couple of years ago for mine.

20170823_184124.jpg

• Like 2