Recommended Posts

Hi all

AL has developed an interesting issue.  When moving the front seats they seem to grate with a metal on metal sound.  I cant remember them ever doing that before and bearing in mind that the metal aspects are quite old, (1986).  I wondered whether the rollers will have gone or something like that.  Anyone else have this issue and have solved it?  

Thanks in advance.  

Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Hi all
AL has developed an interesting issue.  When moving the front seats they seem to grate with a metal on metal sound.  I cant remember them ever doing that before and bearing in mind that the metal aspects are quite old, (1986).  I wondered whether the rollers will have gone or something like that.  Anyone else have this issue and have solved it?  
Thanks in advance.  
Andrew


Yeah, when I started flying around with Big Bertha. 🤦‍♀️

— Sounds like you are hearing a bearing that has failed on one of the rollers. I would pull the seat and inspect them.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here was a thread on replacing the seat tracks and included @kortopates discussing replacing the rollers on his Encore. LASAR carries the rollers for $9.25 each - p/n 14004-000.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem and bought 8 new rollers from LASAR and installed myself with signoff. Even though I didn't like the price, it was well worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so i looked at the seats in motion at the weekend and the rollers are not even touching the tracks, so something is wrong there.   I wanted to remove a seat but i could not work out how.  Anyone got any ideas how they come out on a J?

thank you for all your advice so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Ok, so i looked at the seats in motion at the weekend and the rollers are not even touching the tracks, so something is wrong there. 

Sounds like either the front or rear of the seat did not get installed correctly.   Removing the cotter pins (or whatever stops are in place) and sliding the seat to the rear, lift the frame out of the seat track, then slide to the front and lift the frame out of the track.  

If I'm correct in my statement then you will only have to slide it in one direction to completely free it from the track.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

Ok, so i looked at the seats in motion at the weekend and the rollers are not even touching the tracks, so something is wrong there.   I wanted to remove a seat but i could not work out how.  Anyone got any ideas how they come out on a J?

thank you for all your advice so far.  

Take the cotter pins out of the rails. Slide the seat all the way to the back and lift the back rollers above the rails. Then slide the seat all the way to the front with the back rollers above the rail and pop the front out. Installing is just the reverse. You can reverse the order if you like. it is easier to get them out then put them back in.

You may need some of those quaint British phrases I've heard in the pubs during the football matches.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

If I'm correct in my statement then you will only have to slide it in one direction to completely free it from the track.

No. You have to slide it back off the track to get it free, so you can lift up the back (which can then slide on top of the track), then slide the seat off the front of the track, so the front end can be lifted free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

No. You have to slide it back off the track to get it free, so you can lift up the back (which can then slide on top of the track), then slide the seat off the front of the track, so the front end can be lifted free.

Either way you WILL need the below :) 

27 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You may need some of those quaint British phrases I've heard in the pubs during the football matches.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the right seat first. The left side of the left seat will hit the outside wall when sliding forward, and can be difficult; the right seat has that nice door opening to slide into. Then you have room to push on the left seat, and you will need to push!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 1985 K model has the adjustable height seats.  To get the seat to move forward and aft enough to release from the rails the seat needs to be all the way down in one direction and all the way up on the other end.  I can’t remember which but it took a little head scratching the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

No. You have to slide it back off the track to get it free, so you can lift up the back (which can then slide on top of the track), then slide the seat off the front of the track, so the front end can be lifted free.

Yes Don, I agree with the process you've given.  My statement was based on his observation that there are rollers not touching the tracks.  I was thinking that this may be because the seats were not installed correctly, meaning that either the front or rear, or maybe even one side of the seat was not engaged into the track and therefore would not have to be dis-engaged to remove.  

If the seat is currently installed correctly and the rollers aren't touching the tracks then there is a larger issue and I would suspect that adjusting the seat forward or aft would be a huge challenge and almost impossible while being seated.

 

Ron

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 9:33 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

You may need some of those quaint British phrases I've heard in the pubs during the football matches.

You mean like "its coming home, its coming home", :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2hmVphZuA

 

or the good old terraces songs  :)  

 

 

Edited by Hyett6420

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Marcopolo said:

Yes Don, I agree with the process you've given.  My statement was based on his observation that there are rollers not touching the tracks.  I was thinking that this may be because the seats were not installed correctly, meaning that either the front or rear, or maybe even one side of the seat was not engaged into the track and therefore would not have to be dis-engaged to remove.  

If the seat is currently installed correctly and the rollers aren't touching the tracks then there is a larger issue and I would suspect that adjusting the seat forward or aft would be a huge challenge and almost impossible while being seated.

 

Ron

ill nip up later this week or early next and take a look.  its currently 95 here so far too hot to be dripping sweat all over the place working on seat racks.  :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

You mean like "its coming home, its coming home", :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2hmVphZuA

 

or the good old terraces songs  :)  

 

 

I can’t wait for the Mooney seat song!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 2:14 PM, Hyett6420 said:

Ok, so i looked at the seats in motion at the weekend and the rollers are not even touching the tracks, so something is wrong there.   I wanted to remove a seat but i could not work out how.  Anyone got any ideas how they come out on a J?

thank you for all your advice so far.  

It is possible if you don't have the pins in the rails in the front for the seat to get off the track in the front when you slide it forward to get to the back.    Happened to me Monday.   And then a little challenge to get it back on the tracks.  And now to go find the pin so that don't happen again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 2:14 PM, Hyett6420 said:

Ok, so i looked at the seats in motion at the weekend and the rollers are not even touching the tracks, so something is wrong there.   I wanted to remove a seat but i could not work out how.  Anyone got any ideas how they come out on a J?

thank you for all your advice so far.  

When you reinstall the seats you may want to consider switching them around to even out the cushion wear. I do a lot of my flying alone so the passenger seat doesn't get much use. Someone here posted that he does this once a year which is probably not a bad idea. If you typically have a passenger, I wouldn't worry about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, kevinw said:

When you reinstall the seats you may want to consider switching them around to even out the cushion wear. I do a lot of my flying alone so the passenger seat doesn't get much use. Someone here posted that he does this once a year which is probably not a bad idea. If you typically have a passenger, I wouldn't worry about it.

The only problem is you have to swap the seat belts. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a PITA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The only problem is you have to swap the seat belts. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a PITA.

I didn't swap mine, they continue to work just fine.

The PITA was moving stuff in the seat back pockets, so I could reach the manuals in flight. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hank said:

I didn't swap mine, they continue to work just fine.

The PITA was moving stuff in the seat back pockets, so I could reach the manuals in flight. 

If you have shoulder harnesses they won't work if you swap seats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

If you have shoulder harnesses they won't work if you swap seats.

Why?  Is this something unique to the J?  My shoulder harnesses were not a factor in swapping seats on my 74F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It probably depends on the shoulder harnesses you have. On mine the buttons would end up on the wrong side of my lap.

 Besides the buckle and tab would be backwards and I would be confused!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Why?  Is this something unique to the J?  My shoulder harnesses were not a factor in swapping seats on my 74F.

The shoulder harnesses on my J and on my old D both require the buckle to be on the interior side of the seat.  If you swap seats the buckle is on the outside and the shoulder harness won't cross your body.

How do the shoulder harnesses on your F attach to the lap belt?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mooniac15u said:

The shoulder harnesses on my J and on my old D both require the buckle to be on the interior side of the seat.  If you swap seats the buckle is on the outside and the shoulder harness won't cross your body.

How do the shoulder harnesses on your F attach to the lap belt?

Same way, its just a matter of switching belt buckles along with seats.  I.E: remove both seats, swap belt buckles between the seats, reinstall passenger seat into pilot position, reinstall pilot seat into passenger position, the seat-belt configuration now remains the same as prior to the seat swap -- or at least it was in my case. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now