How to fix interior side panels (M20K/1980)

NicoN

The LH side Panels of my M20K seem to be pretty loose.

Seems that the upper part (the on that is screwed into the window Frame and with the arm-rest) and the lower part are screwed together with 6 or more sheet-metal screws, but it seems they are not fixed on the fuselage itself (except for the window Frame and at the floor). I can feel the screws coming through the Panels about 10mm.

In Maintenance Manual I did not find any Information on that Topic.

In near future, i have to first remove some of the Panel to get Access to the I/B fuel Sender and of course want to fix the Panels the right way after that.

Seems that the upper part (the on that is screwed into the window Frame and with the arm-rest) and the lower part are screwed together with 6 or more sheet-metal screws, but it seems they are not fixed on the fuselage itself (except for the window Frame and at the floor). I can feel the screws coming through the Panels about 10mm.
In near future, i have to first remove some of the Panel to get Access to the I/B fuel Sender and of course want to fix the Panels the right way after that.

I had Bruce Jaeger’s Spatial Designs interior installed. He used an industrial grade hook and loop to attach his lower panels. This makes for easier removal (you still need to remove the window treatments that are screwed in). Mooneys are loaded with screws and often way more thanks needed to hold a piece in place. You may want to see if this is an option rather than screwing everything in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

37 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I had Bruce Jaeger’s Spatial Designs interior installed. He used an industrial grade hook and loop to attach his lower panels. This makes for easier removal (you still need to remove the window treatments that are screwed in). Mooneys are loaded with screws and often way more thanks needed to hold a piece in place. You may want to see if this is an option rather than screwing everything in.

Pictures please. An interior facelift is next on our project list and I want to get ideas.

Pictures please. An interior facelift is next on our project list and I want to get ideas.

Here is a picture of the attachment hook & loop in place.

788d98912e41bcb1d548b5d4fc30cab6.jpg

This is a closeup of the attachment hook & loop. After the final placement of the panels, the tape is removed and adhered to the panel. I don’t know what adhesives off hand what Bruce used but I do have a few scrap pieces at the hangar and will look it up. I do know it is a 3M product (where else would you expect it to come from — Bruce is from Minnesota). default_smile.png

be572d86c82779afd973434114c33340.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds to me like someone tried to tighten the screws and stripped the sheet metal. If so your options, if you want to maintain using screws, is to go to #6 sheet metal screws. Another option is to come up with a way to shim the existing hole with  a piece of wire or sheet metal. Some people actually install threaded inserts so they can use machine screws. 

You can go with a Velcro solution but you end up having to fill in all the screw holes in the plastic then repaint the panel. That seems like a lot of work for a couple of stripped screw holes. 

2 hours ago, NicoN said:

Is it easy to find the screw-holes when Assembling the Panels again? it feels that there is nothing behind the screws when i try to fasten the screws.

Probe for them with an ice pick, stick the tip in the hole and align the panel. Get your screw ready,  hold the panel tight against the sidewall and exchange the ice pick for the screw. I like to get every screw in one panel started before screwing any of them in all the way, it makes it easier to line up the last ones.

21 hours ago, NicoN said:

I'm not sure I understand what you describe. In my airplane the part that goes around the window is one piece with the part under the window to the floor. Are yours two pieces? In any case what you describe is a very easy fix. Incidentally I prefer the screws over any adhesive clips or hooks and loops. Very easy to remove and reinstall.

8 hours ago, PTK said:

I'm not sure I understand what you describe. In my airplane the part that goes around the window is one piece with the part under the window to the floor. Are yours two pieces? In any case what you describe is a very easy fix. Incidentally I prefer the screws over any adhesive clips or hooks and loops. Very easy to remove and reinstall.

Every Mooney I have looked at has 2 pieces on the sidewalls. A pained plastic upper and a carpeted plastic (or pressed wood) lower. I’ve replaced all the interior plastic on several short and mid body planes and they are all very similar.

Pull out your parts manual and you’ll see exactly what is installed. Or, go to the Plane Plastics website and look at your model. 

29 minutes ago, CaptRJM said:

Every Mooney I have looked at has 2 pieces on the sidewalls. A pained plastic upper and a carpeted plastic (or pressed wood) lower. I’ve replaced all the interior plastic on several short and mid body planes and they are all very similar.

Pull out your parts manual and you’ll see exactly what is installed. Or, go to the Plane Plastics website and look at your model. 

I'm intimately familiar with the plastics. I've taken them out, refinished them and reimstalled them. Carpet also.  From his description I thought he meant the plastic is a two piece. The plastic is a one piece and the carpet is below that to the floor. The lower edge of the plastic is attached to the carpet with screws. In think thst's what he means.

Since you plan to pull the panels anyway, contact Bruce Jaeger and get his DIY interior repair kit.  The kit contains self adhesive .016 aluminum to reinforce any panel cracks or loose screw holes.  He has a very detailed step by step process to restore the panels to near new.  I repaired several panels in my 1982 J this winter since I had the interior out to install the Avidyne and Stratus radios.  I also replaced the lower sidewall panels with 1/16" kaidex plastic (Bruce's recommendation).    http://justplaneradio.com/2018/02/the-mooney-avionics-upgrade-of-captain-dennis/  

Sorry for my bad english.

The Panels itself seem to be fine. My Problem is, they are loose. You can pull them away from the airframe easily 10cm.

I have to remove them on one side anyway to get Access to the i/B fuel Sender which is not working.

Oh so the problem is that they feel like they aren’t biting into anything. If you’re catching air check that the screws backing sheet metal isn’t rotated. On mine the kick panels are screwed into sheet metal that is adel clamped to the tubular frame.  

You are right.

The upper part is fixed at the window Frame, the lower part is fixed at the bottom. (is "fixed" the correct word?)

Where they overlap they are screwed together, but the screws seem to reach no threads at the fuselage itself. However this is done

I learnt now what an "adel clamp" is. I will check that. From the Pictures i have found those clamps can rotate easily and then you will not reach them with your screws.

How do you avoid thes clamps from rotating away when you push a screw against it?

See if you can adapt the Velcro technique that Marauder is suggesting...

The Original sheetmetal screws into plastic can’t hold up very well...

There are tabs that are attached to the tube structure.  The tabs receive the sheet metal screws...

You can drill new holes and use new screws... a repair of the old hole in the plastic may be necessary....

A larger screw using the same hole is probably the most used technique...

There are fancy screws and washers with a decorative look that might work pretty well...

Trying to land the screw back in the old hole can be a challenge.  That’s where somebody mentioned the ice-pick technique.

PP thoughts only, My C had many extra holes in the mounting tabs from each time somebody R&R’d the plastic panels....

Best regards,

-a-

I need to do replace my carpet and foam board panels with  new plastic and carpet. I was planning on using tinnerman nuts in the plastic panels and on the metals tabs for securing the panels. Will do it in the winter during next annual.

1286052183_ScreenShot2018-07-17at8_06_04AM.png.d0b27c395863159985767ef5f7c8946f.png

iain