M20J Spinner

I am nearing the end of my 3rd annual and my IA discovered my spinner was previously stop-drilled. He indicated it is an illegal fix and is not airworthy. I took a look at the spinner today and it is apparent that an inept mechanic was at work as the spinner was never cracked. Rather, he stop-drilled a scratch in the paint finish. (SMH).

Since the spinner is not cracked, does the drill hole still result in an unairworthy spinner? If so, what are our replacement options? I have a McCauley 2 blade prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drill an identical hole on the other side... :)

symmetry keeps people from looking any further...

Somebody else asked About replacement spinners in another thread around here earlier...

A few spinners were offered for sale...

If you need a different one see @Alan Fox or @acpartswhse

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Drill an identical hole on the other side... 
symmetry keeps people from looking any further...
Somebody else asked About replacement spinners in another thread around here earlier...

A few spinners were offered for sale...
If you need a different one see [mention=7207]Alan Fox[/mention] or [mention=12721]acpartswhse[/mention]
PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...
Best regards,
-a-

If I get through without replacement, I will strip the paint as the scratch draws the eye to the drill hole.

Don’t you have like 12 to 18 stop drilled holes around the circumference of the spinner through which a bunch of screws live? 

Spinners ain’t cheap.  Seems like overkill but I’m just an O/O.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

My IA reinspected the spinner today and agreed there is no crack therefore no airworthiness issue. I appreciate your thoughts, offers, and input. Crisis averted on this one.

Wow, that's a weird one!

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I had a Hartzell spinner with a crack that was stop drilled on one location and another crack that would stop at the screw hole.

I was told it was airworthy with two cracks. IIRC this came from Hartzell and was confirmed by IA and my prop shop during eddy current inspections. I have no idea if that applies to McCauley.