New ride

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Awesome would be properly selecting the next steps of the flying path...

Something with the tail on correctly...

Something with rubber donuts...

A nice speedy efficient two seater...

Best regards,

-a-

Funny, I told my wife we should buy this for our daughter.  So far the CFO has not agreed with my assessment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Something with rubber donuts...

A nice speedy efficient two seater...

The M10 actually has a spring gear.  All Ercoupes and most Aircoupes had a combination donut/oleo gear, the spring gear was an improvement.  Zero gear maintenance.

it will cruise easily at 100kts on 90hp. 20+nm/gal.  A bit better than a 150 with 100hp.

i still like 150’s, they are a great plane for what they are.  

The M10 is a better plane. This one appears to be a great deal.  My daughter is only 5, in 10’years I’ll be ready to buy this one:D.

cheers,

Dan 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

The M10 actually has a spring gear.  All Ercoupes and most Aircoupes had a combination donut/oleo gear, the spring gear was an improvement.  Zero gear maintenance.

it will cruise easily at 100kts on 90hp. 20+nm/gal.  A bit better than a 150 with 100hp.

i still like 150’s, they are a great plane for what they are.  

The M10 is a better plane. This one appears to be a great deal.  My daughter is only 5, in 10’years I’ll be ready to by this one:D.

cheers,

Dan 

Dan,

My daughter is 14...maybe I should buy this one and have her fly it for and then sell it to you in a few years ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kpaul said:

Funny, I told my wife we should buy this for our daughter.  So far the CFO has not agreed with my assessment.

CFOs are so focused on ROI... what would a Mooney CFI think?

We need to put together a presentation on Empowering our daughters with the skill sets of being a Mooney pilot.

Teaching STEM doesn’t get any better than learning how to fly and financially manage a jr. Mooney.

There will be plenty of return with that investment.  :)

Think of a five year plan...

• Five owners...
  • Each get one year to take care of the Jr. Mooney.
  • Each child gets a year to complete some training.  Go as far as you can... PPL is possible.
  • Plane costs... 5amu + an annual...
  • Other Costs... insurance, CFI, And Fuel...
  • way better than a rented horse, probably less dangerous....
  • Final cost... some separation anxiety may occur between hand-offs to the next owner...
  • If students are in the same time zone... shared expenses open a whole potpourri of opportunities to learn STEM/Finance!
  • Wait There could be a financial ROI... When the plane sells at the end... it should have some cash value left in it...?

I almost convinced myself that this is a good idea... :)

Good news, ‘the CFO has not agreed....’  This is way more positive than ‘the CFO flat out rejected...’

Keep hope alive!

On another note... Sons need similar programs of support... so might Other right seaters...  

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

My daughter loves her STEM courses.  She has started to so some interest in flying.  She is coming to OSH with me this year, hopefully the passion will take hold.  Then the CFO will have two voices to silence.  My son attended an aviation program after high school.  He decided it was not what he really wanted to do, at least at that point in his life.  He is now a Combat Medic serving in the Army.

I think this mini Mooney looks like fun, and at least originally they were designed to be spinable.  Tough spring gear seems like a good starting point for someone looking to earn their PPL.  No flaps...I guess like the rest of the Mooney fleet being on speed is going to remain important.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2018 at 1:01 PM, 1964-M20E said:

Yeah I like the 150 and 152s they are sweet little planes.  Many years ago thought about buy one to have my own plane, but ended up waiting many years to get a Mooney. :)

Now you want small for training try an R-22 helicopter. they are tiny.  Had a similar issue for my check ride in the R-22 the DPE was a big guy we did the check ride in 2 parts (30min flights) so I could keep the fuel load low enough to make the W&B work out.:)  

Started with about 12 gallons of fuel on board.  I don't think I'd go around the pattern in my Mooney with only 12 gallons on board.

One of many reasons i preferred instructing in the Schweizer 300cbi over the R22

10 hours ago, kpaul said:

I did the 150 with the full approval of my wife, she has seen all of the bills, and written most of the Cheques.  So far so good.  It should fly tomorrow.

Now we’re looking for an articulated seat for my wife.  Hopefully she’ll catch the bug next.

Clarence

That pic was from the morning after my first cross country solo.  Spent the night in the Farmville VA airport when the sky got real nasty and I couldn’t get home.  Put down for the night and left the next morning to beautiful skies and a hot air ballon on downwind at home.  I keep this pic to remind me about good flying judgement - which can be exercised in a humble 150/152 just as much as in a Boeing. 

4A5BE355-6A3F-44A0-8111-E068DE856C10.jpeg

• Like 2

One of my pilot pals folks bout him an airplane.  He use dit to get his PPL, IFR, and comm, and spent summers flying all over the US.  He blew off college to go to Alaska and fly bush, which he's been happily doing ever since.  I think his folks sold the Skyhawk.  So instead of paying for his college education all they had to do was keep him in gas for a year.  Pretty sweet deal, all around.

Well, it finally took flight last night for a short hop, we returned due to high oil temperatures, which turned out to be an indication error.  Flew again today for 2 hours.  Hope to get out again tomorrow morning.

It climbs just like a Mooney in hot weather, poorly!

Clarence