Cross Country SC to Oregon

81X

I'm planning on taking my 231 from the upstate of SC out to the Portland Oregon area in a week.  I've been all over the eastern US but never west of Ohio so this is pretty new and exciting.  For my planning, I've narrowed down the routing to basically the "I-80" route up north, or south via Albuquerque, Phoenix, and then up the California valley and coast.  What's your favorite route and why?  Any preference for weather/turbulence/available services/airports, etc.?

This time of year I'd take the northern route. If you go south you will get beat up in the summer bumps if below 10,000. I think the northern route is more scenic and the weather should be great. If you run into a thunder storm and can't fly around it, just wait a few hours and it will pass. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

This time of year I'd take the northern route. If you go south you will get beat up in the summer bumps if below 10,000. I think the northern route is more scenic and the weather should be great. If you run into a thunder storm and can't fly around it, just wait a few hours and it will pass. 

Concur- even at 15K around here near Phoenix, it’s STILL bumpy.  I’ve never done the northern route through the Rockies, though- so can’t help you with routing... if you do end up taking the southern route- I’d recommend. EED V135 BTY V105 FMG V452 EUG V23 to BTG... you’ll be given the STAR as you get close to PDX.  TTD is actually a nice spot to stop... if you go TTD, go east of the cascades towards DSD, then cut a cross there via V165.  Beautiful flight!  Keep OAT’s in your crosscheck- sometimes you can find ice above 10K, even in the summer.

enjoy- sounds like an epic trip!

oh- the reason why I wouldn’t do the California Central Valley or coast.. tons of traffic and honestly, unless seeing the Pacific Ocean is what you’re looking to do- the view of the sierras is better from the east side in my opinion.  Less services though, and fewer emergency airfields on the eastern path.

Edited by M016576

I do the Salt Lake City, Utah (U42) to Chesapeake, Virginia (KCPK) every month. Personally, I always fly direct and stop at the cheapest fuel locations. Typically, these are smaller towns that always seem to have something interesting to see or experience. Most of the FBO's have courtesy cars. Unless there was a specific place you wanted to visit or you wanted to take your time getting to Oregon, visiting a variety of places, I'm not sure the north or south route would be of any significant visual difference. Perhaps I've traveled this course so frequently that the central states all start looking the same from the air to me. When you hit the Rockies things become much more scenic and you will enjoy the views. 

This time of year I would have to agree with 201MKTurbo. The northern route will be more comfortable as you're more likely to be low with more favorable winds. You will defiantly hit weather in route traveling that far. Respect the thunderstorms and keep your distance as they often carry hail in the midwest. A 1-2 hr wait in a quant little town never hurt anyone.

Think of the trip as several short hops.You will be just fine. The air space is a breeze compared to the east coast. Your plane will enjoy the cool, dry air. Who knows, you just may find your self visiting a lot more often. 

Also realize that California is beginning its fire season, which even if you don't hit any TFRs can cause wide spread smoke and general abysmal conditions, so although the coast is nice, I think I'd also choose the more northern route.

Last year I did Denver to the Oregon coast, I found the most useful part of the airplane was a full tank of fuel, which meant when I did need to dodge the thunderstorms that had popped up I could divert as far as I could possibly need.

• Like 1

The fires can be a pain!

I was flying from Portland (KHIO) to Phoenix (KCHD) a few years ago. I planed my fuel stop at about 5 hours on the tank In central CA. There was no weather of any kind and the forecast was for severe clear. When I got to my fuel stop it was below IFR minimums because of smoke! I had to fly another 100 miles to get fuel. A bit of pucker factor there!

• Like 1

You fly a M20K 231! That means you file DIRECT. :D

Seriously though, I've done the southern route and the northern route in an M20C. In my M20K and knowing how to use the O2, I'd just go direct. Divert here and there for weather or cheap fuel if required.

As @Yooper Rocketman says, "You know its a cross country when you stop for fuel and you're still going."

Have fun... we sure are.

• Like 2

Thanks gang!  It sounds like going north will be more scenic, less smoky, and smoother in general.  I really appreciate the input, all really good stuff!  

@gsxrpilot, I've been stuck in the lower altitudes lately with having the baby along for every trip, but she and the wife are going to sit this one out, so this will be the trip for high altitude.  

36 minutes ago, 81X said:

Thanks gang!  It sounds like going north will be more scenic, less smoky, and smoother in general.  I really appreciate the input, all really good stuff!  

@gsxrpilot, I've been stuck in the lower altitudes lately with having the baby along for every trip, but she and the wife are going to sit this one out, so this will be the trip for high altitude.  

Yep completely understand. On this July trip we've been at 13K or below. Neither my wife or the dog like wearing the O2. But when I'm solo, I love to be up in the Flight levels.

• Like 1

I couldn’t agree more with the turbulence through especially New Mexico,my recent trip out west found near extreme turbulence for 90 minutes or so, seriously if it was my first time in a small plane it’d be my last. Both way we’re nasty but the return flight was terrible, a/p had zero chance in the mountain waves. Not being accustomed to mountain flying next time I’ll get training, I contacted the guys at AEG, Albuquerque for this.

If you take the southern route, stay in the flight levels and check your winds aloft before leaving. Winds and weather forecast would dictate my route. Double Eagle just west of ABQ has cheap O2 service ($25) and slightly higher fuel prices, but it’s good to know you can get O2 when you stop for fuel there. It’s also a horrible place to bed down for the night. Uber will usually stand you up and it took us over an hour to get to a hotel. The turbulence below 15,000 in NM can be terrifying. Cross that state first thing in the morning. 

When flying across the country, I always plan my stops for an AOG situation. Stop at fields that are close to reputable mechanics and major airports if you have to leave it for a while. If you have to overnight somewhere, try and plan stops where there is Uber and something to do. 

Carry a couple gallons of water and a locator beacon. I’m a fan of the Delorme Inreach because I can text enroute if I have a mechanical concern. 

You will LOVE the trip. I would do it every week if I could. 

• Like 1

If you are only going to do this once, I'd go one way and go back the other.  For the northern route, a bit out of the way but not too bad, consider flying by Mr. Rushmore and the Devil's tower (just a bit NW of Rushmore).  Rather than I80, follow I90 from there to Spokane, then cut SW down to The Dalles on the Columbia River and follow the river to Portland.  You'll get a good view of Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood.  If it's a nice day you'll also be able to see Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Jefferson.

On the southern portion of the route, rather than follow the coast all the way, fly down the valley in Oregon and go just a bit further east.  Either that or cross the Cascades to the east side and head south for awhile.  With only a bit of deviation you can get a look at Crater Lake.

No matter what you do, have fun.

Bob

3 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

Paul, can you really get your dog to wear O2 even if he doesn't like it?

We've got one of the Aerox masks for our dog. She's only worn it once. My wife was riding in the back seat with her to put it on and get it adjusted. At first she was obviously uncomfortable with it. Then I discovered that the flow was turned all the way up and was likely blowing up her nose. We dialed the flow down to appropriate for 18K and she settled right down. She laid down and wore it fine for a couple of hours until we were in the descent and were able to take it off of her. 

I'd want her to use it 5 or 6 more times before trusting her to wear it in the back without anyone with her to monitor her movements so she doesn't pull on the hose. I don't think she would though.

Some on the board have met Darby and know that she's an extremely obedient dog and wouldn't do anything without permission first. We're lucky to have such a good traveling dog. She's been all over Australia (born in Perth), to over 30 states, and now two provinces in Canada.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

We have found our terrier-like dog is a lot more calm sitting in the back seat with the wife during a long trip.  That's why we're looking at Mooneys, no back seat in the RV.  Did not realize Aerox had a mask for dogs.

I'd probably be flying an RV7 if it wasn't for our dog. It's because of the dog that the Mrs. will travel in the plane.

10 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

If you are only going to do this once, I'd go one way and go back the other.  For the northern route, a bit out of the way but not too bad, consider flying by Mr. Rushmore and the Devil's tower (just a bit NW of Rushmore).  Rather than I80, follow I90 from there to Spokane, then cut SW down to The Dalles on the Columbia River and follow the river to Portland.  You'll get a good view of Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood.  If it's a nice day you'll also be able to see Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Jefferson.

On the southern portion of the route, rather than follow the coast all the way, fly down the valley in Oregon and go just a bit further east.  Either that or cross the Cascades to the east side and head south for awhile.  With only a bit of deviation you can get a look at Crater Lake.

No matter what you do, have fun.

Bob

Great idea on Mt. Rushmore. Seems like a good place to stop for the first night!  

What do do you all feel is the comfortable limit for the 9000 and 12000 foot winds aloft out west?  

3 hours ago, 81X said:

What do do you all feel is the comfortable limit for the 9000 and 12000 foot winds aloft out west?  

It varies from day to day.  My rule of thumb is that if the winds are less than 20 knots the ride should be pretty good.  I've heard that if they are stronger than that, the ride may improve if you are 50% higher than the elevation rise.  That is, if the general terrain is at 3000', and the mountains you are operating near have tops at 9000', that's a 6000' rise.  Half of that is 3000' so operating above 12,000' should improve the ride.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

It varies from day to day.  My rule of thumb is that if the winds are less than 20 knots the ride should be pretty good.  I've heard that if they are stronger than that, the ride may improve if you are 50% higher than the elevation rise.  That is, if the general terrain is at 3000', and the mountains you are operating near have tops at 9000', that's a 6000' rise.  Half of that is 3000' so operating above 12,000' should improve the ride.

Generally 12K seems to be the sweet spot for where the turbulence is sporadic at best on high wind days in eastern Oregon. I have seen days where the mountain waves kick up much higher than that, though.  If the winds <9K are less than 20-30 Kts it will most likely be smooth above 10.

ive only just started flying down here by Phoenix... but crossing the Grand Canyon a few weeks back at 15k, I was a bit surprised to be in continuous light chop.  Only 30kts of headwind at that altitude- I’m assuming it was all thermal related- anyone with more experience around the south west have any good rules of thumb?