m20a totalled today

Well,  my c-frlv  just went to plane heaven,  winds picked up badly on way home,  weather man said   6 knots sw,    well came in to

land and they were 20 knots  from north west, I knew it ws a little much to try and land but onroute I heard a different noise

that sounded like an exhaust leak and was worried about fire, so wanted on the ground soon, about 200 feet from touchdown

the wind shifted about 40 degrees, so hard that my passenger hit his head on the roof, the plane sank very fast, tried to

pull back but landing gear collasped r/h side,  I had a new partner with me and he was watching my speed like I was, I 

was at 85 200 feet from the number, but landed, or touched down I should say 100 feet from the numbers, it sank like 

a lead ballon, rear tank was empty, I do not know why it dropped so dam fast,  well we walked away,  after about a 

500 foot slide, solid plane (was). now just trying to get the sick felling out of my gut. pics to come.  Mike.

• Sad 10

Glad to know that you made it OK, sorry for the material loss!

Looking at the forecast, I was also suppose to go flying today but at the airport (Lachute), winds were not as predicted, strong and pretty gusty at a 60 deg angle or so, so I decided to mow the lawn instead...

Very glad you are ok Alain. It can happen. My stepfather was flying a Cherokee 235 into Turner Ridge Port in Silver City, New Mexico (now closed...probably for the best) and had, I guess a wind-sheer. Lots of speed on final but very slow OTG speed flying into a 30KT+ headwind  straight down the runway and all the sudden it was like a fly swatter smacked us down from about 20 feet up. No stall warning, nothing. We hit so hard that the full Rt. tip tank broke the spar and was hanging by the aluminum skin. Sometimes wind is not your friend. 

Michel:

i know you will beat yourself up for this - I did when it happened to me.  Your decision making was based on the information that was available to you.  Do not give up.  Lache pas.  

When the insurance writes the check, find another.  

And if you need a real reason to forgive yourself, look at the guy who was flying with you.  You saved his life.  Simple.

• Like 3