Oil temperature constantly ~200F

NicoN

Our M20k 231 with a TSIO-360-GB has constantly an oil temperature between 205 and 215F. What can be the reason?

Increasing the oil level to 7qts did not change nothing! We have no oil consupmtion. Flying with open cowl flaps decreases the oil temp only a little.

Thank you

If all of the fins on the cooler and the baffle seals are in good condition, I think you need a new vernathem valve, item number 4.

Clarence

626B4CF7-B0BD-4A52-85C5-837E9E45931F.png

Edited by M20Doc

Two other things you might check:  1) confirm there is no  a “winter/cool-weather” restrictor plate on the oil cooler (I’m not sure if this engine configuration has this...) 2) you could simply need to have the oil cooler flushed to remove any gunk that may have built up to help with the oil circulation.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NicoN said:

Our M20k 231 with a TSIO-360-GB has constantly an oil temperature between 205 and 215F. What can be the reason?

Increasing the oil level to 7qts did not change nothing! We have no oil consupmtion. Flying with open cowl flaps decreases the oil temp only a little.

Thank you

I didn't realize that was a problem.  Check your POH, but the POH for my J (may be different than your K) says the normal range is 150 - 245F.  You are well within that range.

• Like 1

Living in Vegas and departing in 100+ f the oil temp in my J is often in the 200-205 range and cools to 190 in cruise but sometimes never gets below 195 till power reduction.  I keep an eye on it and In the rare event it is over 215  I do something like cowl flaps or reduce power but don’t worry too much about it. In the winter I still get 180-190 when the OAT is in the 50-60f. I would expect your oil temps to be slightly higher than mine since you have a turbo.  What is the OAT when you are getting these temps?  How are your CHT’s?

Nico,

Are you familiar with the vernatherm?

It is a temperature sensitive valve that controls the amount of oil flow through or around the oil cooler...

what is your concern?

• oil temp outside the yellow arc?
  • oil temp outside the green arc?
  • oil temp not warm enough to boil off water?

You may also want to confirm the OilT sensor is telling the truth, verify its operation...

A simple vernatherm test is to put it in a pot of water and raise the temperature until it opens... hmmm.... may need to be a pot of oil to raise it high enough?

Check the sealing surfaces of the vernatherm and its mounting location for smoothness, for good sealing...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Download and review your engine data. A sticking vernatherm will be pretty easy to see. Just look for where the slope of rising oil temp line at takeoff and climb begin to flatten - that will be when the vernatherm is opening up. See what temp that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In fact, the oil temperature is inside the green arc, but only about 2mm away from the yellow arc. the oil temperature on the Cluster gauge and the readout from my EDM 830 read the same. I have seen the oil temperature rising slightly into the yellow arc when doing pattern work on a hot day..

My concern came from Savvy engine Analysis which says that our oil temperature is on the 96% percentile!.

I will to download the engine data These days and Report.

Edited by NicoN
  • Like 1

Before all of this, I’d make sure it’s not an indication error. How is the oil pressure?

I made a precautionary landing in my F and noted when I turned off the master the oil temp still read above zero. A firm press with my thumb made it jump back to normal. It didn’t inspire a lot of confidence. 

215 just isn’t that hot. Certainly not for a TSIO engine this time of year in your location. I would think a stuck vernatherm would make for temps well above 215 in climb. What temp would be acceptable to you?  I treat 185 as a min cruise temp (requires winterization during the cold season) but prefer to see ~200.

Good morning!

@Antares: The conventional oil temperature gauge and the reading of our EDM830 tell me exact the same temperature: permanently Inside green arc, but at about 80% of it.

@Shadrach: I did not pay Attention on the oil temperature as it was inside green arc.

But the engine Analysis told us that a vast majority of the Savvy community has lower oil temperature.

Looking at the EDM830 data itself Shows, that oil temperature rises to about 140-160F pretty steep and then the temperature curve flattens and stays stable between 205 and 215. The only Thing is, that the temperature plot has steps in it, but this may be an artefact of the data aquisition from the EDM.

This can be seen on every flight - for me this seems to be okay and also the vernatherm valve seems to work flawlessly.

When flying at FL130 LOP the oil temperature "falls" down to 204°F while the CHTs are about 50°F lower than ROP.

Only Savvy is of the opinion that it is pretty high and we should Keep an eye on it.