How the heck do you remove that last Vacuum Pump Bolt!

MisfitSELF

16 hours ago, jetdriven said:

It’s all going smooth until you miss the nut with the screwdriver and ding the threads on the end of the stud and then with the nut jams up on the end of the stud, keep hitting it with a screwdriver until it bends  the stud and then it really won’t come off and  end up hammering the shit out of it was a 3 pound hammer for an hour until the stud snaps off. Yes.  

My old AI taught using a small sharp chisel and hammer with light tapping

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

My old AI taught using a small sharp chisel and hammer with light tapping

That’s the way many of us were taught.  The youngsters in maintenance schools are told to get a special tool, not a hammer and chisel.

Clarence

On 7/8/2018 at 10:08 AM, Mcstealth said:

$23 at Spruce won't exclude you from the CB club though you may lose manpoints in the eyes of some. 

Get the tool, damn the torpedoes. 

the Rapco Vacuum Pump Wrench is absolutely a must.  My A&P let me struggle to get mine off (I used a drift to loosen the last nut, then spun it off with my fingers) but he gave me the tool to put it back on.

• Like 1

That’s the way many of us were taught.  The youngsters in maintenance schools are told to get a special tool, not a hammer and chisel. Clarence 

I resemble that remark default_wink.png but although far from a youngster, I was taught to use the right tool for the job and never take destructive tools like a chisel and a hammer, or even vice grips, to an airplane. 

Here is how I torque the vacuum pump back on using a snap-on vacuum pump crow foot. They make one for TCM fuel pump nuts which is also helpful.

4b40e51d05b606af1aee2c2b1d0eaf5a.jpg

0a320307aa0dc639ff2a58c1e36b2312.jpg

But of course you old timers could teach me plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the special "Rapco tool" and it did the trick.  Still hard but no hammering required.  It will be a trick to get the new vacuum pump back on.  Now I have a new problem and I'll start a new thread for that...

But thanks guys for your recommendations.