"Medeco" Ignition Switch

My Ovation has a L - R - Push to start ignition switch that uses the Medeco key.  It's been getting harder to make contact when you turn and push and acts like it's getting worse.  I unscrewed the cap and pulled it out of the back of the panel and it looks very different from the Bendix version available at Spruce and Chief.  Any ideas what ignition switch I might have?20180706_182627.thumb.jpg.486709e7effccdd9cf37956b2c3feaca.jpg

its in Figure 39-10 of the parts manual.  Looks like this one:

https://lasar.com/switches/janco-ignition-switch-assy-wkeys-97-2273-3

Check with Lasar though before ordering - the parts manual has Janco 22073-(1).  I don't know the difference between -1 and -3.

I've heard of some people switching these with electronic ignition switches but never seen it so there may be other options too.

Edited by hypertech

Same problems with my Ovation.

Mechanic replaced my  turn and push conundrum sw. with a turn only switch, no more push and no more issues.

Much more user friendly, not sure where he purchased it, but am sure you could find with a couple of inquiries.

Best,

What years got the push to start?

‘94 O1 doesn’t have that feature...

Try electronics cleaner/lubricator...?

The switch doesn’t see enough action to warrant replacement?

Check with Dan at Lasar... there may be a rebuild kit if it is a real wear issue.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Hi Carusoam,  My previous '65 M20D had the push to start and now the '03 Ovation has it too.  For some reason they had it.....and then went back to it.  We're on the same track as I tried electronic cleaner and also didn't think it could have enough cycles to wear it out.  Even after cleaning, I have to turn and push very hard and fast and still only get contact every 3rd try or so.  I sent an email to Lasar but with it being the weekend, might not hear back right away.....and I did ask about a rebuild.  It looks like an easy fix as on the back of the whole thing there is one screw, give it a 1/4 turn and unplug the connector, and you have it out. 

Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

I had the push and turn in my 65C as well... hard to use on really cold days.  Pushing a button with a key in the way with a ring of things hanging from it was less than ideal...

The switch failed the day the new owner came to take ownership...

There has been some discussion around here lately regarding a new style of ignition switch that includes two mag switches and a push to start button... might be worth looking into as a competing alternative.(?)

expect these devices are expensive...

Best regards,

-a-

This is the type of issue that makes aviation so expensive and stupid.  A switch can’t be designed and tested to last 5000 cycles, speedbrakes that need overhaul after several hours of use, no back spring in gear motor, KI-256 that only last several hundred hours, etc. and so on.....???  Feel free to add your own.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:13 AM, AZOutlaw said:

My Ovation has a L - R - Push to start ignition switch that uses the Medeco key.  It's been getting harder to make contact when you turn and push and acts like it's getting worse.  I unscrewed the cap and pulled it out of the back of the panel and it looks very different from the Bendix version available at Spruce and Chief.  Any ideas what ignition switch I might have?20180706_182627.thumb.jpg.486709e7effccdd9cf37956b2c3feaca.jpg

We bought a replacement from Mooney for an 05 Bravo.  What came in the box was a standard TCM ignition switch with a short section of wire and a connector..  readily available anywhere at lower cost.

Clarence

Also, I’d be concerned over the high security medeco ignition switch if you were to lose a key while traveling. A Mooney isn’t the type of plane someone wants to steal unless it’s the only option and the security of the lock would not defeat the standard way someone would go about stealing a plane, but it would make your life miserable when it came to getting a locksmith to make you a key with a blank and a file. 

Not to mention, Mooneys don’t have the combination of weight, speed and range that a Navajo or Aerostar does. 

On 7/9/2018 at 3:29 AM, Mark89114 said:

This is the type of issue that makes aviation so expensive and stupid.  A switch can’t be designed and tested to last 5000 cycles, speedbrakes that need overhaul after several hours of use, no back spring in gear motor, KI-256 that only last several hundred hours, etc. and so on.....???  Feel free to add your own.

I enjoy the KAP-150(and others) with the yoke disconnect pushbutton that you should never actually use because it's not designed for the current they run through it.