Tucson area airport recommendations

Stephen

HI MS'ers! I am planning a KROG to Tucson area trip next week. Wondered if anyone had any specific recommendations regarding preferred Airports/ FBO's in the area . My business partner is in Oro Valley (NW Tucson). I see Ryan KRYN, Marana KAVQ are in the area. My friend's house is right next to La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) is private and not sure if they allow transients so I may have to do one of the outlying airports.

My planned trip is roughly:
6/13  KROG to KSVC (overnight) 

6/14 KSVC to P04 (Overnight)

6/15 P04 to P33 (Day trip)

6/15 - 6/23 P33 to <Tucson Area>

<Tucson> to KROG

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. 

37 minutes ago, Stephen said:

HI MS'ers! I am planning a KROG to Tucson area trip next week. Wondered if anyone had any specific recommendations regarding preferred Airports/ FBO's in the area . My business partner is in Oro Valley (NW Tucson). I see Ryan KRYN, Marana KAVQ are in the area. My friend's house is right next to La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) is private and not sure if they allow transients so I may have to do one of the outlying airports.

My planned trip is roughly:
6/13  KROG to KSVC (overnight) 

6/14 KSVC to P04 (Overnight)

6/15 P04 to P33 (Day trip)

6/15 - 6/23 P33 to <Tucson Area>

<Tucson> to KROG

You can fly into 57AZ if you want. $5 overnight fee and you have to send proof of insurance to Larry at <lachollaairpark@gmail.com>. You have to be OK with a 44' wide runway with a  consistent, sometimes gusty crosswind from the right (landing RWY 19) and landing in a residential area. Not a lot of room for error. There also is no fuel at 57AZ until sometime in August. The ASOS isn't working right now either. The closest weather is at KAVQ (118.375).

Otherwise Marana (KAVQ) is very nice with long runways and crosswind runways.

RYN is a LONG way from 57AZ, probably 45 min driving time.

Try your best to be on the ground when in AZ by 10AM (normally over 100º, it was 92º at 8AM today), it is really hot and bumpy after that and in the mid afternoons the Monsoons come this time of year,  you do not want to be flying though one.

2140213lca_operating_procedures_ver_14.pdf

• Thanks 1

If you decide not to land at La Cholla, the Marana airport FBO will treat you right.  

Grant County (KSVC) does not have fuel last time I was there so you will want to check first if you need a top off.  It is also a 20-30 minute drive into Silver City and I am not sure about taxi or rental car.  Usually there is no one there at the office in Grant County and I can't remember the last time I saw someone else when I landed at KSVC.  

12 hours ago, 13scrappy said:

If you decide not to land at La Cholla, the Marana airport FBO will treat you right.  

Grant County (KSVC) does not have fuel last time I was there so you will want to check first if you need a top off.  It is also a 20-30 minute drive into Silver City and I am not sure about taxi or rental car.  Usually there is no one there at the office in Grant County and I can't remember the last time I saw someone else when I landed at KSVC.  

That stinks on the fuel. I'll call and verify. If Grant county doesn't have fuel, I might as well land at Whiskey Creek (94E) in town. If neither have fuel, I'll prob stop in Las Cruces, Deming etc.. on the way in. Thanks for the heads up. Was going to practice on some 50' wide runways this week but my starter took a dump yesterday morning so had to unload the plane and drive down to Arkansas from Missouri <_<. So, might go into Marana. I really would prefer to go into La Cholla though, one of my business partners lives right next to the airpark in Oro Valley. 

I'm coming in for our 10 years of business celebration for  http://www.rigopest.com  woot :) ! I think we actually do a lot of the higher-end residential work in Tucson including La Cholla, but I'm more the finance/business strategy guy vs ops; I'll ask Rigo; also could ask about MS'r discount if anyone is interested. 

Whiskey Creek is much closer to town with a very narrow runway in good shape overall.  I have tried to call the owner/manager listed and only gotten the voice mailbox is full message.  It is the closest alternative and has a few transient parking spots but you should bring your own tie downs if you want to be safe.  It can be very windy.  I dont think fuel is available there also but I have stopped planning to take on fuel in Silver City altogether and have not explored the field to verify.  Las Cruces or Dona Anna Cty have fuel and food if you want to be safe and fill up knowing you can get to the Tucson area without getting gas in Silver.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 2:03 PM, 13scrappy said:

Whiskey Creek is much closer to town with a very narrow runway in good shape overall.  I have tried to call the owner/manager listed and only gotten the voice mailbox is full message.  It is the closest alternative and has a few transient parking spots but you should bring your own tie downs if you want to be safe.  It can be very windy.  I dont think fuel is available there also but I have stopped planning to take on fuel in Silver City altogether and have not explored the field to verify.  Las Cruces or Dona Anna Cty have fuel and food if you want to be safe and fill up knowing you can get to the Tucson area without getting gas in Silver.

Thanks Scrappy! Waaay back in the day, I used to work at a couple of companies based out of Whiskey Creek that ran C340’s and C414’s when I was working my way through college at WNMU. Will be nostalgic to land there, glad to hear that the runway is still in good condition. I think the last time I landed there for 100LL was like 2004 on my way back to Missouri having purchased my first plane (PA28 235) . Will be nostalgic to see the place again. I will bring some ropes; thanks for the recommendation.

So far KHAE (Hannibal) > KROG ((Rogers) KODO (Odessa) 94E (Silver Cith Wiskey Creek) KFFZ (Falcon Field Mesa) > P04 (Bisbee) where I am now. Quite a road trip so far , lots of threading around monsoon cells  in TX, NM and AZ. Will try to get to Tucson in a day or two.

F38A23E0-BC0A-4B15-8026-6A0118A67070.jpeg

628EF732-2ED4-460A-B843-FC15B793B659.jpeg

B102CEE3-29A8-48BC-8AC1-6ACFF3177139.jpeg

DEBAE7D1-FEAB-4C0C-A4E5-F1F1BAE6629C.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 4:39 PM, 13scrappy said:

I have seen the sad sight at Whiskey Creek many times.  It is terrible to see the plane like that on the ramp.  Hope it was a great trip.

Trip went well! Thanks Scrappy! Yeah, too bad someone can't get that cessna off the ramp. The tie down ropes are literally turning to dust there.