Oshkosh Prop Strike

I am thinking about carring my C model to Oshkosh this year.  I know a lot a Mooney’s make there way to Oshkosh every year without any problems.  However I am kinda concerned about the limited clearance of the prop while taxiing around on the grass to get to the camp spot.  I have ‘66 C model so thinking on camping in Vintage.  And a prop strike getting to the camping spot would ruin my little camping excursion.  Any thoughts on this?  

A full load of camping supplies tends to keep the weight aft and nose light. Taxi with elevator back in your lap and you should be fine. I’ve had my ‘66 C there a few times with no worries. Folks are bringing along plywood squares for parking pads lest the ground is soft to prevent sinking in during your stay. Good idea that I’ve yet to do. But I’ve only been flying in for 42 years. Oh, and your tow bar might come in handy. Have fun! Look for me in vintage camping (VAC), too.

1962 M20C with old shock disks last year and we were fine.  Should be better with the new disks this year!   Be careful taxi slow, the bumps in the grass and transitions were the parts that I worried about, but did fine. Highly suggest the plywood squares for parking...just to make it easier to pull out to the isle when leaving.

I have been into OSH many times in a M20E.  Conditions very a whole bunch over the week.  The grass/taxiway can get badly rutted and you can be directed onto some slopes that will challenge your propeller clearance.  Usually things are fine but risk exists.  Taxi slowly and try to keep moving.  Sometimes traffic will force you to stop but try to anticipate and space yourself out behind the aircraft in front of you .  The 500x5 nose wheel can be a problem so be careful .  Also practice slow flight so you are comfortable for the long approach.

As I replied to your post on FB... over 50 Mooneys in a conga line every year. This year might be 60. The group includes everything from M20C with the lightest weight on the nose gear, to Rockets, Bravos, Acclaims with lots of  weight out front. No one ever has a problem taxiing in the grass. 

I've only flown in three times in a C and looking forward to arriving in a 252 this year.

It's good to play it safe, which means keep the yoke in your lap and make sure you've dialed in full up trim.  Otherwise, no big deal.

I use three nylon cutting boards to park on in the soft grass. They're smaller and lighter than the plywood boards I've seen. But either will work.

• Like 1

I had no problem taxiing around Sun n Fun in my C. I also visit grass fields.

Regardless of what, if anything, you put under your tires, pull out and turn into the aisle before cranking up. The people behind you will be thankful instead of throwing things at you while screaming in outrage and frustration.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I use three nylon cutting boards to park on in the soft grass. They're smaller and lighter than the plywood boards I've seen. But either will work.

Great suggestion, and within my budget :lol:

• Like 1

Taken Both the C and the R to both KOSH and SnF...

No fear of long taxi to the way out back to camp.  Use common sense, and all will go as planned...

Just remember... if it rains, a fully loaded Long Body may get stuck in the soft ground after being parked for a few days.  But once moving, keep going...

Be familiar with taxiing on soft ground rules from your initial training...

Before you go... take a look at how much space you actually have with the prop near the ground.  The hole is going to need to be pretty deep to cause a challenge...

Minimal soft field experience on my part.

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/6/2018 at 2:36 PM, wings_level said:

I am thinking about carring my C model to Oshkosh this year.  I know a lot a Mooney’s make there way to Oshkosh every year without any problems.  However I am kinda concerned about the limited clearance of the prop while taxiing around on the grass to get to the camp spot.  I have ‘66 C model so thinking on camping in Vintage.  And a prop strike getting to the camping spot would ruin my little camping excursion.  Any thoughts on this?  

image.thumb.png.f3fcc28219ca56da2490bb6dd8a7aa02.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How was taxiing during slosh kosh?

Airfield closed for a few days. Was OK ... once they allowed aircraft in. The ground dries quickly and they roped off wet areas.

They do a remarkably good job of maintaining and shepherding people. Still, like anything else, no one should do something with which they’re not comfortable.

There are pilots who base their Mooneys on a grass strip. Others would never try it (and l sure didn’t before OSH). To each their own...

45 minutes ago, N9201A said:

Airfield closed for a few days. Was OK ... once they allowed aircraft in. The ground dries quickly and they roped off wet areas.

They do a remarkably good job of maintaining and shepherding people. Still, like anything else, no one should do something with which they’re not comfortable.

There are pilots who base their Mooneys on a grass strip. Others would never try it (and l sure didn’t before OSH). To each their own...

I agree.  They were very keen on where they led you through.