Tie down anchors for Oshkosh

bradp

It’ll be my first time going.  What’s the recommendation for tie down anchors? Thinking about the claw vs the giant screw.  I don’t have the time to fashion any according to the EAA instructional, so I’ll have to cough up some bucks for something store bought.  What’s the soil / ground like at the Oshkosh? 

Thanks! 

Brad 

I have a set of FlyTies that I like a lot. But for my money the best solution is just to rent from the ground crew at Oshkosh. It's the boy scouts or some similar group benefitting and I think the tie downs are $25 for the week.

55 minutes ago, bradp said:

It’ll be my first time going.  What’s the recommendation for tie down anchors? Thinking about the claw vs the giant screw.  I don’t have the time to fashion any according to the EAA instructional, so I’ll have to cough up some bucks for something store bought.  What’s the soil / ground like at the Oshkosh? 

Thanks! 

Brad 

I also have the Claw https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/claw.php?clickkey=59027

Even though I have used them I have not actually "used" them.  I have always had decent weather.  I know there was some discussion amongst the folks that were at Sun-N-Fun during the tornado, but honestly I am not sure which ones worked or didn't under those circumstances.  

+1 on The Claw. Easier to use than the screw type, especially in hard ground. 

Try to make sure that the center of The Claw is directly under your tie down ring. You can get max loading that way, in case of high winds. 

I have an extra set of Big Screw Tiedowns that I would like to find a home for. PM me if you're interested. Yes, they're pricey at $150 but they look like they will do the job better than anything else out there. They go in easily with a 1" ratchet.

https://bigscrewtiedown.com

BTW, I paid way more than $150 for these, but that's the price they sell for at Oshkosh so that's what I'm offering them at.

Cheers,
Rick

I bought a set of screw-ins from EAA at Sun n Fun. Walking around after the tornado, just about every type and size of hold down had failed, including several Claws.

Mine were screwed in until the triangle at the top hit the dirt, and I had tightened the ropes and put a second bungee between the yokes and from the right yoke to the bar under the seat. My plane did not move, unlike dozens parked with me in GAC at the approach end of 27. The Cessna on my right wing tip was upside down, windshield to windshield with the Bonanza to his right, and both were a good 6' forward from where they had parked. Other planes were sideways, tents were missing, chairs clothes and towels were everywhere. The tornadoes came from behind, moving east.

Part of it is being prepared. My plane was secure and did not move. Part of it is luck. Nothing blew into my plane to cause damage, except a small 4" long dent on one side of the rudder that cracked the paint.

Buy what makes you feel good. Use it properly. If storms are forecast or pop up, check and tighten everything. I was in one of the hangars buying an LED landing light when it hit, thankfully not in my tent . . . . . Luck again.

Have fun! I hope to make Osh one year. Let us all know of any great deals you see.

• Like 1

What Paul said.  They'll sell you the tie downs at the show for $25, you can see them back fro $15.  I've had airplanes tied down in hellacious storms there that didn't budge.  Yeah, a tornado can probably rip them right out of the ground, but a tornado can rip anything out of the ground.  If one could take the roof off my mother's house your tie down isn't going to do squat.

If you want a good anchor on a budget, I made some that work very well from a few odds and ends from the hardware store.  Each anchor consists of three 12” long sections of 3/8 chain.  Just cheap soft chain is fine.  Hook one end of each chain to a round ring or one end of an s hook.  Then use three long spikes.  These are probably a foot long and look like huge nails.  Spread out the three chains 120 degrees apart.  Once stretched out, drive a spike at an angle to ward the center of the three legged spider through the outer link of each chain.  Then hook your tie down to the s hook or whatever you used to connect the three chains.  I used this at the Cessna 120-140 National Fly-in and it worked great even through a pretty significant gusty wind.

Hope the description makes sense.

6 hours ago, steingar said:

What Paul said.  They'll sell you the tie downs at the show for $25, you can see them back fro $15.  I've had airplanes tied down in hellacious storms there that didn't budge.  Yeah, a tornado can probably rip them right out of the ground, but a tornado can rip anything out of the ground.  If one could take the roof off my mother's house your tie down isn't going to do squat.

Yeah, they don't mess around.

https://www.capjournal.com/news/south-dakota-tractor-taken-by-tornado-found-in-montana/article_85190646-7ee8-11e8-bfc0-1bf01ca31fe5.html

• Like 1