Pedal Extension Install / Manufacturing

I know it's been covered on a couple of other locations, but here's what I'd like to know:

I'm in Canada, and am just about to take possession of a '74 M20F. Sitting in the left seat, I'm all the way forward, and still feel as if I'm reaching for the pedals. So, extensions it is!

Looked online... ebay has a set on for 749.00!!! I'm a nice guy, but not about to grab my ankles first, before paying that. 
Mooney service tells me to call local supplier. Left 2 messages and nothing (also says on recording that they're a Cessna parts dealer. no mention of Mooney). 
Look through here, and see that there's plans to build your own. PERFECT! Talk to a buddy who has a CNC machine, and a perfectionist. 

Here's the issue: Am I LEGALLY able to have someone manufacture these parts, and install them on an aircraft (I'll have my AME do that part)??? If so, where can I find the CAR on it, so I can have my CNC guy make them, and not freak out over any "non-certified parts" going on a plane? 

The factory pedal extension are fairy cheap from my understanding, I would give LASAR a call and see what they have to say before I started machining my own. The one for $749 on eBay seems out of line

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CDNflyby said:

6 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

The factory pedal extension are fairy cheap from my understanding, I would give LASAR a call and see what they have to say before I started machining my own. The one for $749 on eBay seems out of line

Just got off the phone with a lovely parts lady from LASAR... $357.14 each. 

Just now, CDNflyby said:

Just got off the phone with a lovely parts lady from LASAR... $357.14 each. 

WOW.... Thought someone on here said they were like $150 a pair, it might be time to fire up the CNC, the Mooney drawing for both the 1.5" and 3" extensions are on MS somewhere, if you can't find the drawing I might have them saved on my PC at the house

I've got the drawings, and photos of the ones on ebay as a reference.... My CNC guy is just a little leery about making something for an aircraft that isn't a "certified part". That's what I'm trying to find, and having difficulty with.

It's a timing thing as well. Seats are being redone next week, so it'll be a good time to put the pedals on, when the seats are out of the aircraft. 

They are very easy to build. No critical specifications. They can be made by anyone as an owner produced part (provided you follow a few simple rules).  Installation is only a mild pain after you remove the front seats, but legally you will need a sign-off. Any A&P should sign off on them with no problem. The specifications are available here on MS. I probably have them somewhere.

If your CNC guy has a problem, you may need a new guy. If your A&P has a problem, you may need a new A&P.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

They are very easy to build. No critical specifications. They can be made by anyone as an owner produced part (provided you follow a few simple rules).  Installation is only a mild pain after you remove the front seats, but legally you will need a sign-off. Any A&P should sign off on them with no problem. The specifications are available here on MS. I probably have them somewhere.

If your CNC guy has a problem, you may need a new guy. If your A&P has a problem, you may need a new A&P.

CNC guy is an old friend, and minorly concerned. Fair enough. I'd have a slight conscience issue if a pedal stuck, causing an accident. 
A&P is cool with it, and willing to sign off. 

@gsxrpilot much appreciated. I think I have it cased now. I've got a local guy who does a lot of CNC around here who owes me a favor. He designed and made some unreal valve box extensions for me last year. I'll post some photos once he's completed the pedal extensions, and I'll post after they're installed as well. 

Worst case... these F'g things don't work, and I'll buy that set off of you. 

• Like 1

I’ve never seen an “owner produced parts section” in the CARs.  Unless your plane falls under “Owner Maintenance” which covers M18C, M20/A/B

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

51 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve never seen an “owner produced parts section” in the CARs.  Unless your plane falls under “Owner Maintenance” which covers M18C, M20/A/B

Clarence

Yep, Canada does have different rules 

51 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

If a part is installed by an A&P, and signed off on, that isn't owner maintenance, is it? I'm trying to figure out if these cut sheets, directly from Mooney, on this site, are worth getting to a CNC machinist, produced and then installed?

I didn't say once I was going to be installing myself. My only question was to the effect of whether or not these installed items needed to be certified for aviation? 

The “Owner Maintenance Category” in Canada is different than “Owner produce parts” in the US.  The “Owner Maintenance Category” allows owners of certain aircraft models to decertify them, this allows owners to repair, modify, overhaul their aircraft without the services of an AME

It is up to you to decide if your AME can manufacture these parts and install it on your airplane, but I don’t see it being legal.  If in doubt ask your local TC office.

Clarence

https://copanational.org/en/owner-maintenance/

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-standards-a507sh-1837.htm