Possibly moving to Maryland or Virginia

MCDsiena

I do medical sales and I have a job opportunity covering Maryland, Virginia, and DC. I can basically live anywhere although a large part of my business will come out DC and the suburbiban areas to the south of DC.

i am not familiar with the area and will be coming from upstate New York. I like to fish and fly so I would like to be near the water and a good reasonably priced GA airport.

Anyone local to those areas with suggestions of where to look? I’m 36 and single so I wouldn’t hate an area with a good supply of attractive women either, haha.  

Thabk you for your help 

Mike

Are you looking for a tie down or a hanger?  All of the airports near DC are expensive and the hangers are scarce.  Winchester, Martinsburg, or maybe Gaithersburg or Fredrick could put the fishing and flying relatively close together but not that close to the city itself.

Stafford might also be an option but I'm not sure how long their waiting list is to get in.

I’m partial to Baltimore & the mid-Atlantic region   Along the route 95 corridor north of DC are several options: 

Completely outside of the SFRA is Martin State which has 40’ T hangars available at about $275.

That’s 25 minutes from the south side of Baltimore where there’s significant growth & lots of 20-30 somethings have gathered.   

College Park has tie downs and is building new hangars, say the managers.  It is inside the inner SFRA zone so you need the PIN clearance.      

Tipton in Laurel MD is an option if tie-down is acceptable.  It’s in the SFRA outer ring so no PIN needed.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MCDsiena said:

I do medical sales and I have a job opportunity covering Maryland, Virginia, and DC. I can basically live anywhere although a large part of my business will come out DC and the suburbiban areas to the south of DC.

i am not familiar with the area and will be coming from upstate New York. I like to fish and fly so I would like to be near the water and a good reasonably priced GA airport.

Anyone local to those areas with suggestions of where to look? I’m 36 and single so I wouldn’t hate an area with a good supply of attractive women either, haha.  

Thabk you for your help 

Mike

Hey - before you go...

We are in upstate NY - and we like to fly fish - esp my son!  In fact he and I are going to Bozeman this weekend...

Where are you?

PS - I grew up in Maryland.  Maryland is for crabs.

I'd like to get into saltwater fishing, I do a few tips a year but always charters to the coast. I don't need to be too close to DC just within a few hours drive, I would prefer to not live in a city. Just need to travel in for $$$ and get out. I'll also be covering the rest of the state of VA and MD, so plenty of driving with my job.  I'd prefer to be outside the SFRA zone and just avoid it altogether to make life easier. I am thinking someplace along the Chesapeake south of DC but I am not familiar with the area to know where a good mix of distance from the city but still a populous enough area where I can enjoy a little culture and night life. I'm ok with tying down as that is what I am stuck doing now in Upstate NY, although would prefer a hanger. 

Does anyone know anything about this area?

image.png.5481fa293072853398129de8130615ed.png

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Hey - before you go...

We are in upstate NY - and we like to fly fish - esp my son!  In fact he and I are going to Bozeman this weekend...

Where are you?

PS - I grew up in Maryland.  Maryland is for crabs.

I live in the Saratoga area, although I am up your way for work quite a bit.  I do some fly fishing as well, mostly out on the lakes in the boat though. 

• Like 1

ESN Easton or CGE Cambridge would be good choices, at Easton on Rt 50 the drive to Bal, DC, Richmond , Norfolk all would be easy. Close to the great Chesapeake Bay, lots of bass fishing in flats, my brother was a professional bass fisherman and practiced and guided in the flats. Welcome to the Mid Atlantic  region, you could also go a little north to the great state of Delaware. Low tax no sales tax close to everything in the NE corridor. Similar to Jerry’s at Martin State

I grew up in the DC Area and lived there till 2012.

I mostly lived in the Maryland suburbs, but did live briefly in northern VA; since I am in the computer space I did a lot of work in and around the whole area.

In general, traffic sucks bad for the whole region. If you live out towards Martin State like suggested earlier in the thread, rush hour commute to downtown DC will be measured in hours, one way. So I would suggest you look much closer at where and how your schedule will work. As an example, I used to work in Tysons Corner VA, and live in Germantown MS. 27 miles door to door. Miss rush, and you could do it in 30 minutes, hit traffic wrong and it was an hour and half.

If you have flexibility, you can consider looking further out and take the commuter rail lines in.

Tim

I used to hanger ar 2W6, learned to fly there over 20 years ago. Great area to live and fly. Once had to declare an emergency and landed at pax river. I would never consider commuting to DC from there, close to three hours each way due to traffic. Not much night life either. You might enjoy living in DC, and having a reverse commute?

On 7/5/2018 at 9:41 PM, MCDsiena said:

I'd like to get into saltwater fishing, I do a few tips a year but always charters to the coast. I don't need to be too close to DC just within a few hours drive, I would prefer to not live in a city. Just need to travel in for $$$ and get out. I'll also be covering the rest of the state of VA and MD, so plenty of driving with my job.  I'd prefer to be outside the SFRA zone and just avoid it altogether to make life easier. I am thinking someplace along the Chesapeake south of DC but I am not familiar with the area to know where a good mix of distance from the city but still a populous enough area where I can enjoy a little culture and night life. I'm ok with tying down as that is what I am stuck doing now in Upstate NY, although would prefer a hanger. 

Does anyone know anything about this area?

image.png.5481fa293072853398129de8130615ed.png

Salt water fishing, fresh water fishing, surfing, kayaks fish ocean, river, lake -easy access to Baltimore and DC area airports ( 45 min) very reasonable GA airport (KCPK) plus increasing real estate market with all the military = come to Virginia Beach