Carb heat temp rise

for those of you with carb heat temp indicators, can you please tell me how much of a rise you get when in cruise.

I have a temp input to my JPI 900 and used to get an almost off scale reading to the warm side when applied.  Now after a so called MSC (debatable) went against Mooney Service instruction M20-14 and dismantled my carb heat box and then tried to fix it with two visits after I only get a 10 degree F rise in temp.

How much rise do you get?

and if you have any pictures of your carb heat cable where it is connected to your box with the linkage back to the small butterfly valve on the exhaust port it would be appreciated.

I don't have any pictures from when my butterfly valve broke on one side, but I can take some pictures tomorrow morning. I'll try for both sides, zoomed in or out enough that you can still tell what you're looking at. 

As far as temp rise, I've never just pulled it in cruise to see what it does. I have pulled partial carb heat prophylacticly in the clouds to get about a 5°C rise, seems that was less than half of the travel. Don't know why, but my OAT is in F, but the Carb Heat gage is in C, and I pull it to get put of the orange stripe that goes up to 4 or 5°C (5°C = 41°F). Maynhave done this 2 or 3 times during fall / winter IMC over WV, certainly haven't needed it since moving back South in early 2014.

I will say this:  after repair and reassembky of my butterfly valve and installation of a new Carb Heat cable, my C is now 10-15 mph faster than before. Just the other day, I posted pictures of the ASI from flights just before and shortly after this was done. My speed went from ~133 mph to 145 mph at just about all altitudes, although sometimes at 3000 msl it will be at or abive 150 mph when cruising at 23" / 2300.

Good luck repairing your repairs!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hank said:

I can take some pictures tomorrow morning. I'll try for both sides, zoomed in or out enough that you can still tell what you're looking at. 

great.  Looking forward to the pictures....

Hello from Qingdao China

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Jim,

Here’s a few photos of the carb air box and linkage I removed from my bird after I did my cowling mod. Linkage is pretty simple. 

Hope these help.

David

great pictures.

If you are not using that box would you be willing to sell it?

24 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

great pictures.

If you are not using that box would you be willing to sell it?

•  

Hi Jim,

Absolutely. I don’t have a use for it now. Shoot me an offer and I’ll get it coming your way.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

Typically my baseline carb temp in cruise with carb heat off ranges from 20's to 40's depending mainly on ambient air temp.  With carb heat full on, I usually see carb temps anywhere from the 50s to the 90s F.   

2 hours ago, DXB said:

Typically my baseline carb temp in cruise with carb heat off ranges from 20's to 40's depending mainly on ambient air temp.  With carb heat full on, I usually see carb temps anywhere from the 50s to the 90s F.   

yeah I saw the same ,,,now not so much

1 hour ago, DXB said:

Am curious to know what the shop that removed your butterfly valve said when confronted with their mistake....

don't want to go much into that,,,I am speaking to a lawyer,,,this whole thing is a mess....I normally would not speak to a lawyer but I feel I should not be out of pocket for a mechanics reckless mistake.