Be careful parking your Mooney at KIMT

I flew down to Benton Harbor (Southwest Regional Airport) yesterday to look at some overhead cranes for my dealership.  When I got back to Iron Mountain (KIMT) I parked up by the fuel pumps for fuel and for Adam (the avionics manager) to look at updating the software on my GTN and G3X's.  When I got out there was a Tri-pacer getting ready to leave, with what should have been plenty of room to get by me, so I politely inquired if he had enough room?  His snotty response was "I will TRY to get by you".  I moved the plane up tighter to the fuel pumps but as he sat idling for quite a while, with 2 passengers in that hot plane, I finally decided to get my plane completely out of there (between his attitude and lack of confidence he could actually "STEER" that nose wheel).  Thinking back, if I had sat there waiting for him to move after he fired up, I would have burned another 4 gallons of Jet A!

Anyway, as I pushed my plane (downhill thankfully) towards the transient parking, the first spot open was next to @Bob 's Plane.  I took a picture and sent it to him via Mooney Space PM.  Don't have his cell number or would have sent it to his phone.  Hope to hook up with him before he departs the great white north (where it's been just as miserably hot as the rest of the country lately).

Moral of the story, be careful where you park your Mooney!  But then on the other hand, a great photo op for two speedsters!

Tom

Mooney 231PZ & Lancair at KIMT.jpg

• Like 6

I get a lot of attitude from pilots of rag aircraft, I’ll never know why.

One thing I don’t like about the newer generation of experimental airplanes. The original experimental airplanes were all low powered puddle jumpers. Then they started getting faster and more agile, but they were still at heart simple aircraft, even if made from advanced materials. But now we have what can only be called mini airliners. They fly at airliner altitudes with airliner systems at airliner speeds. Being flown and constructed by amateurs. They’ve been a sore spot on the accident database for awhile.

i don’t mean to cause offense.  That ship is gorgeous in photos, and you have no idea how I admire anyone with the skill and determination to actually put one together.

Be careful parking your Mooney anywhere!

On my Flight Review in April, after some air work we went to KMGM, was marshalled and parked at the FBO. We both made a pit stop to drain old and obtain fresh water; we were inside less than 10 minutes. Walking out to the plane, the plexiglas cover over my right anticollision light was shattered and the entire front was gone . . . .

Ordering a new one was quick work on LASAR's website, for only $147, but the trimming to fit and drilling 14 screwholes for mounting took most of a morning. I'm about to do the other wingtip now, where a piece of waterlogged insulation fell out of the hangar ceiling, shattering the left light cover on its way to the ground . . . .

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I flew down to Benton Harbor (Southwest Regional Airport) yesterday to look at some overhead cranes for my dealership.  When I got back to Iron Mountain (KIMT) I parked up by the fuel pumps for fuel and for Adam (the avionics manager) to look at updating the software on my GTN and G3X's.  When I got out there was a Tri-pacer getting ready to leave, with what should have been plenty of room to get by me, so I politely inquired if he had enough room?  His snotty response was "I will TRY to get by you".  I moved the plane up tighter to the fuel pumps but as he sat idling for quite a while, with 2 passengers in that hot plane, I finally decided to get my plane completely out of there (between his attitude and lack of confidence he could actually "STEER" that nose wheel).  Thinking back, if I had sat there waiting for him to move after he fired up, I would have burned another 4 gallons of Jet A!

Anyway, as I pushed my plane (downhill thankfully) towards the transient parking, the first spot open was next to @Bob 's Plane.  I took a picture and sent it to him via Mooney Space PM.  Don't have his cell number or would have sent it to his phone.  Hope to hook up with him before he departs the great white north (where it's been just as miserably hot as the rest of the country lately).

Moral of the story, be careful where you park your Mooney!  But then on the other hand, a great photo op for two speedsters!

Tom

Mooney 231PZ & Lancair at KIMT.jpg

So looking forward to seeing this rocket ship up close on Friday!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steingar said:

I get a lot of attitude from pilots of rag aircraft, I’ll never know why.

They’re upset that your steel tubing is covered in aluminum not fabric and dope.

Clarence

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

They’re upset that your steel tubing is covered in aluminum not fabric and dope.

Are you sure they aren't jealous that we have manly-sized steel tubing while theirs is all little bitty 1/4" and 3/8"??

Nah that's not it...this particular incident was a guy flying a tripacer ( let's face it folks a butt ugly flying milk stool making even a Funk look beautiful)he is politely asked by a guy flying the sexiest experimental turboprop on the planet if he has room and he is pissed off cause his female passengers want to know why he can't afford something like that guys "real" airplane...it's simple envy

• Haha 1