1976 M20F SOLD in Orange County, CA

rdshave

People that don’t like GPSS....

Also don’t like...

• color screens
  • digital watches
  • Altitude hold

Have you ever missed an intersection while covering 2miles per minute...?

Or, blew through an altitude while climbing at a measily 200fpm...?

If you have fantastic human skills, perfect memory, always alert,  can pay attention to 15 different things at one time, can continue to pay attention for 15 minutes straight without missing a beat.... your instrument scan would be considered useless if you have enough technology in your panel...

Mooney pilots don’t debate the value of GPSS... we have LOP vs. ROP for that... :)

The rest of the world has boxers vs. briefs...

GPSS is such a low cost add on to many existing systems... get one.

If you have to pay full price to get one as part of a new AP...  join the group that says they don’t like GPSS...

I have a tiny light that begins to flash as I approach an intersection.... Great in IMC when you are scanning the IP... can’t miss it.

That same light in VMC won’t ever be noticed while scanning for traffic...

Its not always easy being a human...

Best regards,

-a-

Learning to fly in the LA Basin and Southern California in general as well as regularly flying into Van Nuys at "16 Right" (Rumored to be The busiest GA Airport in the World) is an invaluable education and experience.  After learning to fly here with a variety of airspace in such proximity to one another and sometimes overlapping it makes you really elevate your training.  I flew out of Van Nuys on my Checkride with multiple landings and go arounds including ATC instructions to complete two 360 degree turns prior to turning to base for spacing issues and jet traffic.  It was stressful but also very rewarding to perform well in this airspace under pressure.  If you are working the Van Nuys pattern and are too high in your altitude on downwind by 200-300 feet you are now in 747 Heavy world as they set up for arrival into Burbank.  Many times I have had passenger jets cross above and in front of me while turning crosswind to downwind. We all learn to share the airspace with each other while ALWAYS keeping your head on a swivel.  Stressful, yes but extremely rewarding as well.  I hope you get to come out here again sometime.

7 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

Learning to fly in the LA Basin and Southern California in general as well as regularly flying into Van Nuys at "16 Right" (Rumored to be The busiest GA Airport in the World).

At one time that was true but I don't think it has been for a decade or more. The last time I heard (which could very well be old data today) is that KDVT (Deer Valley, AZ) was the busiest GA airport in the country. What makes it even more of an issue is 90+% is flight training and 90+% of them speak English as a second language, often poorly. The last I heard, KSDL (Scottsdale, AZ) was the busiest single runway GA airport in the world. Neither of those may be true today but from flying into all three airports somewhat routinely, KVNY seems to be the least busy of the three nowadays.

11 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

Learning to fly in the LA Basin and Southern California in general as well as regularly flying into Van Nuys at "16 Right" (Rumored to be The busiest GA Airport in the World) is an invaluable education and experience.  After learning to fly here with a variety of airspace in such proximity to one another and sometimes overlapping it makes you really elevate your training.  I flew out of Van Nuys on my Checkride with multiple landings and go arounds including ATC instructions to complete two 360 degree turns prior to turning to base for spacing issues and jet traffic.  It was stressful but also very rewarding to perform well in this airspace under pressure.  If you are working the Van Nuys pattern and are too high in your altitude on downwind by 200-300 feet you are now in 747 Heavy world as they set up for arrival into Burbank.  Many times I have had passenger jets cross above and in front of me while turning crosswind to downwind. We all learn to share the airspace with each other while ALWAYS keeping your head on a swivel.  Stressful, yes but extremely rewarding as well.  I hope you get to come out here again sometime.

Would like to return sometime for sure.

In about '93 during the Friday before the annual Van Nuys static air exhibition, I was on final for 16L in a 172 when an F4 Phantom whizzed by me on final for 16R.  Before my 25 year absence from flying, I did my private training out of Whiteman and checkride  at Santa Monica.  Miss those days but the airspace seems much different to me, now that I've been gone for so long...probably just me aging a bit!

• Like 2

More like the bravado of youth taking a back seat to a more conservative and safer approach.  I also trained at Whiteman in the early 2000's and my instructor let me solo but never discussed airspace in detail.  I am surprised I survived the 20 plus hours I just tooled around the LA Basin and up to Agua Dulce and back.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

More like the bravado of youth taking a back seat to a more conservative and safer approach.  I also trained at Whiteman in the early 2000's and my instructor let me solo but never discussed airspace in detail.  I am surprised I survived the 20 plus hours I just tooled around the LA Basin and up to Agua Dulce and back.  

Was Southland Aviation still on the field when you were there?  That is who I trained with.