Flight video: Garmin G500 TXi with EIS

Rmag

We replaced our Garmin G500 and JPI EDM 930 with the new Garmin G500 TXi with integrated Engine Instrument System.  I made a flight video outlining the features of the G500 TXi /w EIS. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Quite an awesome sight.

Ironically, with all of the high tech surrounding you, you still needed to place the phone up to your ear. There's an App for that.

I can Bluetooth connect to my headset, I just typically don’t bother unless I am originating a call. 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I assume engine data is downloadable like from JPI?  

I like to graph my engine data on savvyanalysis.com.

I haven’t done it , but from their webpage:

• EIS data is automatically logged and can be wirelessly downloaded to the Garmin Pilot app on your mobile device for transport and postflight analysis¹. An SD card can also be used to transfer the EIS data. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/612864

The panel is awesome and makes me jealous for sure.  Good video to educate us on the engine management as well as all the other capabilities of the Garmin system.  I really like all that this can do but I'd rather have a dedicated screen for engine management.  I have an Aspen PFD and would like an EDM930 or MVP-50P for primary engine gauges.  I currently have an EDM830 and have found that it has become a part of my scan naturally from departure to landing.  I'm concerned about punching buttons to see what my engine is doing while I'm bouncing in on decent/approach or climbing through the overcast in IMC.  Just handling an approach while in rough conditions on the 430W is a challenge for me and I have buttons and knobs.  Just my opinion.  Everybody has one and none really count :)

I do like the G500Txi system though.  Thanks ... 

1 hour ago, dfswing2 said:

The panel is awesome and makes me jealous for sure.  Good video to educate us on the engine management as well as all the other capabilities of the Garmin system.  I really like all that this can do but I'd rather have a dedicated screen for engine management.  I have an Aspen PFD and would like an EDM930 or MVP-50P for primary engine gauges.  I currently have an EDM830 and have found that it has become a part of my scan naturally from departure to landing.  I'm concerned about punching buttons to see what my engine is doing while I'm bouncing in on decent/approach or climbing through the overcast in IMC.  Just handling an approach while in rough conditions on the 430W is a challenge for me and I have buttons and knobs.  Just my opinion.  Everybody has one and none really count :)

I do like the G500Txi system though.  Thanks ... 

All your critical engine info is displayed on the static sidebar.  The MFD engine page just shows more detail and computational info; you only really need to go to it for leaning and even then it is just a knob twist and one screen button.  So the stuff you need to see is all part of the normal screen scan.  A definite con of touchscreens is that it can be taxing trying to hit screen buttons in turbulence.  They do build in ledges for your hand to grab, but I’ve definately mishit buttons on the GTN 750 while bouncing...

That being said, I was perfectly content to keep the JPI EDM 930, I just ran out of panel space with the bigger TXi screen so I had to jump in with both feet...

Partial explanation, possibly?

Really interesting polarization interference effect... one screen is polarized one way and the video camera is polarized 90° To the first causes a black out...

Why it fades in and out? No idea...

Do you have a polarized lens on the camera? Can you remove it?

Great video, Rmag!

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, jonhop said:

Great video... Flight management at its best. Now what did you do with your G500? @Rmag Those low budget... or cheap bastard...s would like to know.

Garmin trade in program good through the end of this year.  All the guts of the G500 stayed in the plane, it was essentially a screen upgrade. 

• Like 1

While watching the video...

I think I have possibly figured out the fading and returning of the video...

The left corner of the screen that, at Sometimes, is all sky...

At other times, it is all green and houses...

When all ground, the auto brightness returns the GTXi to full visibility...

When all sky, the auto brightness turns the Garmin screen dark. The Other screens at more of an angle are affected less based on their angle to the camera...?

See what I mean?

Could be as simple as sun direction and pilot’s head position related to the camera...?

Nice landing.  Centered on the stripe!  :)

-a-

The only thing missing  . . . Aero Comfort leather covered yokes
460451389_ScreenShot2018-07-06at5_19_42AM.thumb.png.a2ef07dd119224740c0d0481024582d7.png

Dan should be able to correct that as well. His shop also does interiors. Not for just small planes but for the corporate jet crowd as well. Dan gave me a tour of the facility. Pretty impressive. Avionics through paint & interiors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 years later...

The screen darkening thing most likely has the same cause as the 'contra-rotating' propeller.

It is just a mismatch in the refresh rate between the screen and the fps rate of the camera - hard to fix.

Great setup - I would like to know whether you had a JPI EDM previously and whether you had to  install a new set of Garmin transducers for temps, pressures fuel flow etc...

I assume you have a KFC 150? Can't quite see the model number

• Like 1