Speed Brakes

I looked into it about 8 years ago. Precise Flight was the only option. The speed brake kit was around $5K and labor was projected to be 40 hours. I figured $10K all in at that time and decided that it was not wise investment to me and on resale I’d recover only a small fraction. In nearly 1000 hours in my 231 since then I believe that they are a “ nice to have” not a “must have” when you are planning ahead.  When ATC wants to slam dunk me I’ve gotten good at saying “Unable”. They are usually accommodating if you tell them you’ll do your best. Occasionally, they give me a vector but that’s rare even in busy airspace. 

• Like 4

I have to agree with @CaptRJM. I have owned two Mooneys, one with speed brakes and one without. They are nice to have and I use them all the time. If they weren't there it wouldn't be the end of the world. I would hardly miss them.

Being a CB I would rather spend the money on traveling than the speed brakes. 

• Like 2

Hi @Frank Mooney - My M20J came with Precise Flight Speed Brakes.  I have been very happy with them, finding them most useful in mountainous terrain during a hot summer afternoon when the thermals can be brutal on the Mooney.  They were installed so long ago the cost is probably not useful to you, but I will look through my paperwork to see if the number of hours for the installation is listed. 

My Speed Brakes recently developed a problem staying deployed.  I'm in for annual now, so I can follow up here with a PIREP after they are repaired.

When I first started shopping for a Mooney, speed brakes were on my "almost must have" list. The 231 I bought has them. I really like them when I need to use them, but they are not needed very often. If I were shopping again, they would be on my "nice to have, but far from necessary" list. If my plane did not have them, I really question whether I would pay 8 or 9K to install them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

When I first started shopping for a Mooney, speed brakes were on my "almost must have" list. The 231 I bought has them. I really like them when I need to use them, but they are not needed very often. If I were shopping again, they would be on my "nice to have, but far from necessary" list. If my plane did not have them, I really question whether I would pay 8 or 9K to install them.

I'm with Don.  I recently had a few months of flying without them as they were out for service.    If you're in a more predictable airspace and mostly IFR flying with gentle decents I wouldn't bother.   They can be quite handy if you're trying to "make it work."   

• Like 1

Wow guys thanks for the feed back and now more to think about!! I looked up the precise flight and yes it looks like 6k plus install! ( how much are cylinders again) :huh:?/ 

Might have to agree with @CaptRJM on this one. always something better to spend the money on... 

Welcome aboard Frank.

PreciseFlight is the modern speed brake.

It used to come in three versions.

• mechanical
  • vacuum operate
  • electric

If installing today, electric is the way to go.

Not as useful as a waas GPS...  but it is a great tool to have...:)

There is another manufacturer of another type of speed brake that has been used on Mooneys in the past, not as elegant...

Best regards,

-a-

https://www.preciseflight.com/general-aviation/shop/speedbrakes/products/speedbrakes-mooney/

1 hour ago, Frank Mooney said:

Wow guys thanks for the feed back and now more to think about!! I looked up the precise flight and yes it looks like 6k plus install! ( how much are cylinders again) :huh:?/ 

Might have to agree with @CaptRJM on this one. always something better to spend the money on... 

I have survived 27 years without speed brakes in my F with the VFe being 109 KIAS and the gear speed at 104 KIAS. Your higher gear speeds certainly will help slow you down. Spend that $10K on some nice new avionics. :)

• Like 3

If anyone really want speedbrakes I have a set of vacuum operated ones which gives less problems than the electric ones.  They are still installed so if you want to self install you are welcome to remove them.Also have in installation instructions. $2,000  423 231 3491   jerry pressley

Edited by acpartswhse
sold

On 7/2/2018 at 8:23 PM, Frank Mooney said:

Looking for recommendations for installation of speed brakes for my M20k. I am  based in Sebring Florida. Few questions: if several manufactures available who is the best and why. What should I expect to spend? 

Thanks 

Speed brakes are extremely useful when used properly. This means knowing when to use them and when not to use them. They add another dimension and a wonderful aircraft control tool to have. Especially on our slick Mooneys. And, as I’ve been told by pax, they’re also very sexy! I use mine practically on every flight. Of course as with other equipment they’re best when installed by previous owner! But that’s not always possible. My advice would be if you’re thinking about it don’t hesitate and just get them. You’ll wonder why you didn’t get them sooner! A Mooney without speedbrakes is restricting its performance potential, imo.

Sort of a summary...

A few things that make speed brakes have some value...

• Emergency descents
  • Steep descents over tall obstacles like Class B air space and mountains
  • Adjusting descent rate when slips are not available (long body)
  • Increasing descent while keeping the engine warm
  • Adjusting altitude in the traffic pattern when your related rates math skills aren’t as strong as they used to be... airspeed vs. descent rate

They are all small issues that most pilots have a pretty good work around.

The other quirky things to be aware of... their effectiveness is very much speed dependent...

• Very effective in the emergency descent
  • Least effective in ground effect
  • Usable up to Vne

Picture the need for an E-descent during cruise... pop the brakes out during cruise, slow down to deploy the landing gear, lower the AOA to descend at gear deployed speed... Announce to the passengers you will be on the ground in the matter of a few minutes...

The method of all the effectiveness comes from the interruption of air flow, and the lift that gets lost.  The pilot and wing adjusts for the loss of lift by adjusting the AOA as needed. The airflow interruption includes a swath of about a foot on either side of the speed brake (roughly) visible as rain water tries to go around them...

When they come with the plane... they are magic.

If you have to pay full price and installation too.... they may be more expensive magic. :)

PP thoughts only. Stuff I learned during TT. Not a CFI.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

About the only time I use my SBs is when descent is through a cloud layer where I expect some bumps. Speed brakes get me 1000-1500 fpm with power and in the green. I usually keep my hand on the manual SB lever and retract them when I'm back in smooth air. The alternative is plowing through the cloud layer with the ASI well into the yellow or pulling the power way back. Our vintage models with low speed limits for yellow arc, gear, and flaps are a little more challenging when it's time to go down and slow down. 

25 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

On my recent trip to the great white north, where I found single runway airports and lots of wind not aligned to the runways, I discovered I liked the speed brakes for cross wind landings. 

a) I like the speed brakes for the same purpose.

b) I am living 15 miles "south of the border" and yikes it hit 97F today!  There aint no great white north today.

On my recent trip to the great white north, where I found single runway airports and lots of wind not aligned to the runways, I discovered I liked the speed brakes for cross wind landings. 

Please tell me more on how speedbrakes help crosswind landings.

I've come to really enjoying the usefulness of the speed brakes in my 252. I'm sure I could fly in a more disciplined and precise manner and wouldn't need them. But they are nice to have and I use them. 

I've always been pretty comfortable with crosswind landings in my Mooneys, but in strong crosswinds, I don't use flaps. I just feel like I have more control authority without flaps for landing and that feels better in a stiff or gusty crosswind. On this trip to Canada, we added another variable to the mix and that is gravel runways. So now I'm thinking of my higher approach speeds and touchdown speeds without flaps but without the stopping power either with loose gravel under the tires. 

So I tried using the speed brakes on approach all the way to touchdown and not using flaps. I like the way it felt. It seemed like I was able to land a tad slower but without all the lift under the wing.  I'll have to try it a few more times, but just anecdotal evidence based on how it felt and control authority was positive.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've come to really enjoying the usefulness of the speed brakes in my 252. I'm sure I could fly in a more disciplined and precise manner and wouldn't need them. But they are nice to have and I use them. 

I've always been pretty comfortable with crosswind landings in my Mooneys, but in strong crosswinds, I don't use flaps. I just feel like I have more control authority without flaps for landing and that feels better in a stiff or gusty crosswind. On this trip to Canada, we added another variable to the mix and that is gravel runways. So now I'm thinking of my higher approach speeds and touchdown speeds without flaps but without the stopping power either with loose gravel under the tires. 

So I tried using the speed brakes on approach all the way to touchdown and not using flaps. I like the way it felt. It seemed like I was able to land a tad slower but without all the lift under the wing.  I'll have to try it a few more times, but just anecdotal evidence based on how it felt and control authority was positive.

You would need to actually measure landing distance. But on a slippery runway such as grass or gravel, the slower touchdown speed of a full flap landing will help greatly in stopping distance. If you really need it, raise the flaps at touchdown. It quickly puts a lot of weight on the tires for braking. 

• Like 2