Garmin TXI

johnhoge

1 minute ago, johnhoge said:

Has anyone bought an aging steam gauge equipped Mooney and ripped the entire panel out and replaced it with a g500 txi? Is it a $100,000 proposition?

Figure at least 30-40K.  

Need a waas gps (GTN750 plus flight stream and cdi-). ~15K

The G500TXI (10”). ~15K

ADSB transponder (gtx345). ~4K

install costs- 5K

and that assumes you would be OK with whatever second radio/Nav unit and backup ADI is already in your plane, as your secondary sources.  Another GTN (650) will cost an additional 10-11K.  Install labor would probably remain similar though.

So upwards of 50K in that instance.  Youre muuuuchhhhh better off financial to find an airplane that has the 70% solution and go with that.  Or if money isn’t a factor to you, just realize that you will most likely never get your money back out of an upgrade like that on an older Mooney (maybe you would on a Bravo or later, but that remains to be seen)

He wouldn't "get his money back" on any avionics install, interior revamp or paint. But at least most avionics upgrades increase either utilization of the plane, dispatch rate, safety of flight, etc. My Mooney is all steam, plus a WAAS GPS; I like the si plicity of glancing quickly at which way the needles are pointing versus squinting to read the numbers in the tapes (whuch are always in the same location, even when it's not the number you want to see . . . . ).

7 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I needed a good laugh today.........

I guess it depends on who you go to... but 50 hours at 100 an hour seemed like a pretty good estimate to me.  I think the harnesses are not too different between installing a single GTN750 with a bunch of legacy avionics vs a GTN750, plus a G500TXI... but maybe 80 hours is more realistic. (So 8K install costs)

15 minutes ago, M016576 said:

I guess it depends on who you go to... but 50 hours at 100 an hour seemed like a pretty good estimate to me.  I think the harnesses are not too different between installing a single GTN750 with a bunch of legacy avionics vs a GTN750, plus a G500TXI... but maybe 80 hours is more realistic. (So 8K install costs)

My panel was assigned to one technician who took 10 weeks. Most of his time was on my panel. I'd say 300 hours. (I was quoted and paid for 250 hours.)

New panel cut and fitted, laser cut and silk screened. GTN750, EDM930, Aspen1000, GLD88, swap out xponder and audio panel. relocate #2 navcom and a couple of other instruments, antennae, sensors, transducers. And a lot of details...

The TXi itself isn't "that" bad - more like $20-25k.  Its that you probably also need an engine monitor to make space in the panel - call that 8-10k.  Oh, and there's a $5k box to connect it to the auto pilot.  And then you need a backup of some kind - are you keeping the vacuum instruments for backup?  If not add another $5-10k.  I priced it out and it was about $80k by the time you got through everything.  The TXi might happen someday, but not this round for me.

Yes, it will cost you $100,000 all-in. Need a couple GTN's? Need new transponder? Audio panel? Engine monitor?

It's like a kitchen remodel. You wouldn't replace your formica counter tops with granite but leave your old harvest gold appliances installed, would you? 

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

My panel was assigned to one technician who took 10 weeks. Most of his time was on my panel. I'd say 300 hours. (I was quoted and paid for 250 hours.)

New panel cut and fitted, laser cut and silk screened. GTN750, EDM930, Aspen1000, GLD88, swap out xponder and audio panel. relocate #2 navcom and a couple of other instruments, antennae, sensors, transducers. And a lot of details...

That’s some major work.  I went back and checked the invoices on my panel upgrade (nowhere near yours)-  Mine had a 430W already installed- but to install the following- 

ImAspen PFD1000, GMA340, CGR-30P engine monitor , axp-340 xponder, ifd440 (Slide in replacement for 430W) was a total of 65 hours through Chief.

Not nearly as invasive as your project, though. And I do love the look of those laser cut panels- very slick.

so, long story short- my time estimate above was waaaayyyy off.  

Edited by M016576
  • Like 2

See the video posted by @Rmag...

It is a great presentation of an instrument panel for a Mooney, freshly installed Garmin 500txi....

Yes, Some people have bought older Mooneys and updated a few things...

there is a company that does this who has posted some of the finished machines around here somewhere...

Buy a Mooney with eternity in your time line... that is a forever-Mooney...

Divide the capital cost by the number of years of ownership... the $/yr spent doesn’t look so bad...   :)

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever without a few expensive updates...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1