Only in a Mooney

I agree with you; took up N9738M up with my son and my friend George (at 86 he is still flying his bird right seat) yesterday in 100F day and saw TAS of 160kts on 8.6gph at 11500. This is a naturally aspirated C model with the Johnson bar. Makes me wonder why I went for a Rocket when you consider this type of efficiency... Great airplanes!

9738M at 11500 160kys TAS.JPG

• Like 3

I filled the ship up at 14G (cheapest gas in the state) and flew to KOSU. From there flew to XLL, then to N47 (also cheap gas).  Pumped in 30 gallons.
Did all that at 160 miles an hour. Only in a Mooney.

You flew all the way from Ohio and didn’t stop by and saw hello to us?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

M20C's, E's, J's and K's might the be most efficient single engine piston airplanes ever made. 

One of the most efficient, certified single engine piston airplanes ever made. 

There are a number of experimental airplanes that are more efficient. One of my previous airplanes that meets that criteria is currently for sale. 185KTAS on 8.5 GPH.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=154363

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steingar said:

I filled the ship up at 14G (cheapest gas in the state) and flew to KOSU. From there flew to XLL, then to N47 (also cheap gas).  Pumped in 30 gallons.

Did all that at 160 miles an hour. Only in a Mooney.

Well, not ONLY in a Mooney . . .

One of the most efficient, certified single engine piston airplanes ever made. 
There are a number of experimental airplanes that are more efficient. One of my previous airplanes that meets that criteria is currently for sale. 185KTAS on 8.5 GPH.

You are comparing a 4 seat aircraft with a 2 seat aircraft? 2 seat is more efficient, not a surprise.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

You are comparing a 4 seat aircraft with a 2 seat aircraft? 2 seat is more efficient, not a surprise.

Yep, and the main reason I fly a Mooney is for the four seats. I don't put people in them but rarely, but the dog needs some place to ride. I know there are experimental's that are four seats but they are either fixed gear or way out of my tax bracket or both.

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

How often are four people in a Mooney ? I very rarely have four people in my Baron. The flight in the OP was solo, it seemed so even a two seat was overkill for that mission.

How often are four people in a Mooney ? I very rarely have four people in my Baron. The flight in the OP was solo, it seemed so even a two seat was overkill for that mission.

It doesn’t matter, physics says a smaller, lighter plane will have less drag everything else being equal. So comparison is apples to oranges. Be like comparing a pickup truck to a car.

6 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

It doesn’t matter, physics says a smaller, lighter plane will have less drag everything else being equal. So comparison is apples to oranges. Be like comparing a pickup truck to a car.

Everything else is not equal. Cessna 150.

Jim, all must not be "right" with your C. Mine has always made book speed since I bought it in 07; after resurrecting my doghouse and rebuilding the carb heat butterfly and housing, I now beat book speed. The only things I know were done were the 201 windshield and wingtips, and after a gear up (by the PO), a Hartzell 3-blade and one-piece belly. 

Before (sorry about the reflection):  133 mph @4000 msl:

20141116_163426.thumb.jpg.8f44bb7733624037cb8671d6c566bbf3.jpg

After (145 mph @3000 msl):

20150122_143757.thumb.jpg.a360ff61338f102e776ab3a2a2f65151.jpg

And at 9500 msl:

20150522_170516.thumb.jpg.9ae103517f5c71fef2889985a194f808.jpg 

Power setting at 9500:

20150522_170439.thumb.jpg.e60d335ae234c79df65aa468f7961d51.jpg

Edited by Hank

4 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

You might be right, Hank. My dad has possession of the C so I don’t know it nearly as well as the J and rarely have the opportunity to fly it. If so I doubt the problem is firewall forward, but there is a very good chance it is out of rig.  Sometime in the not too distant future I’m probably going to sell the J and keep the C, which Dad has already owned for 36 years, since 1982.  I hope to have another 30 years of flying in me, which should be plenty of time to refine her.

I like the J better than the C but 36 years of flying nostalgia with my dad is too much to overcome when the need for two Mooneys no longer exists.  How cool will that be to have effectively owned the same airplane for 66 years?  Dad bought it from the original owner, too.  

Jim

Wow, now there's a story! Just make sure the doghouse is in good repair, and check the butterfly joint on both sides of the carb heat--mine broke off on one side, which destroys the climb rate and isn't nice to airspeed. ATL Approach asked if I was really a Mooney; I just wanted to get home and find out what happened in the NC mountains . . . That's what we found.

5 hours ago, Chessieretriever said:

I agree with you; took up N9738M up with my son and my friend George (at 86 he is still flying his bird right seat) yesterday in 100F day and saw TAS of 160kts on 8.6gph at 11500. This is a naturally aspirated C model with the Johnson bar. Makes me wonder why I went for a Rocket when you consider this type of efficiency... Great airplanes!

9738M at 11500 160kys TAS.JPG

That C is stupid fast, does anyone here have a C that even comes close to 160 knots true.

• Like 1

Mine will do 160 knots in a steep dive. In level cruise it’ll do 160 mph.

i like having a back seat. I have had back seat pax a few times. The trip I’m on we are bringing back a bunch of fragile craft supplies. Don’t want them in with the luggage as they’ll be destroyed. They go on the back seat just fine.

Make sacrifice to the weather gods, I’m going to try to fly home tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steingar said:

Mine will do 160 knots in a steep dive. In level cruise it’ll do 160 mph.

i like having a back seat. I have had back seat pax a few times. The trip I’m on we are bringing back a bunch of fragile craft supplies. Don’t want them in with the luggage as they’ll be destroyed. They go on the back seat just fine.

Make sacrifice to the weather gods, I’m going to try to fly home tomorrow.

My C will easily top 160 knots at 500 fpm descent. Seems like that always puts me right at 170 mph indicated, which at 9000 msl is about 200 mph / 174 knots true. It's fun watching the speedometer app on my phone when groundspeed passes 200 mph in an easy descent like that . . . 

We use our back seat mostly for our crated dog or baggage, but it's nice to sometimes go somewhere (lunch or supper) with another couple. On this trip, we lucked into the ladies in back. 

20130713_112446.thumb.jpg.ee58281d8cfba0fb117d1556649e27e4.jpg

And an airport lunch at the Cloud Nine Diner in eastern Kentucky:

20130713_120036.thumb.jpg.0b0bbc50a310cfa73c92948a9e78d779.jpg

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

I know this is the vintage forum, but the ovations can do ok too ;) just throttle back! And after all I have steam gauges so that’s kinda vintage these days...

How’s Austin to Pittsburg, 1100nm or so on 70gal sound?

f6380116f349dde6504583a750480428.jpg

cedbe965fad3af7dd75a0c4d1976e8df.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

GAI to OSU in 2 hours 10 minutes. We’re home and I’m now drinking the Rye whiskey I bought in DC. Many thanks to those who made supplication to the weather gods.  It worked. Don’t think I’ve ever seen better.

• Like 2

Austin to Chattanooga - M20C - 41 gal.
Madison, WI to Fort Worth, TX - M20C - 49 gal.
Las Vegas to Austin - M20K - 52 gal.
Austin to Roxboro, NC - M20K - 49 gal.
Austin to Denver - M20K - 44 gal. 
Denver to Austin - M20K - 38 gal.

We love to fly far.... 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 6:52 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Love the F, it might be king of Mooney useful load. But it’s just a smidgen less efficient than either the E or J.

Well Paul, what if you put the J windscreen and cowl on an F?

• Like 1

Oh, and Friday the 13th I will be flying to BJJ for the last of my avionics upgrade, weather permitting of course.  Once again, supplication to the weather gods.  I hesitate to do so again, I got perfect the other day.

2 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Well Paul, what if you put the J windscreen and cowl on an F?

Yep, then you've basically got the J. I used to fly an M20C with all the 201 mods including cowl, windshield, gap seals, wing tips, etc, etc, etc. It was faster than a lot of E's out there. It's pretty cool that all those mods are available for the older Mooneys. 

An F with all the J improvements... what's not to like about that!