Starting my IFR today

Well, as if getting the multi rating in the June heat in Tennessee wasn't enough hot torture I've decided to keep on rolling and jump into my IFR ticket since I've gotten some of the rust off my brain. The training will be at Dewitt Spain M01 in Memphis, same place and instructor I had for the multi. First lesson starts today at 1 pm. I've been working on the ground at home the last couple of years off and on using Sporty's IFR course and whatever I could pick up on my own through whatever resources I came across. I'll be going two days a week instead of the four I did with the multi. Will be using the Mooney for most of the training, but some days with Twin Comanche so I feel comfortable with either aircraft. Hoping to be completed by end of summer. Then onto Commercial during the winter. Hoping for cooler weather this go round....Wish me luck!! :)

-Tom

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, TWinter said:

Well, as if getting the multi rating in the June heat in Tennessee wasn't enough hot torture I've decided to keep on rolling and jump into my IFR ticket since I've gotten some of the rust off my brain. The training will be at Dewitt Spain M01 in Memphis, same place and instructor I had for the multi. First lesson starts today at 1 pm. I've been working on the ground at home the last couple of years off and on using Sporty's IFR course and whatever I could pick up on my own through whatever resources I came across. I'll be going two days a week instead of the four I did with the multi. Will be using the Mooney for most of the training, but some days with Twin Comanche so I feel comfortable with either aircraft. Hoping to be completed by end of summer. Then onto Commercial during the winter. Hoping for cooler weather this go round....Wish me luck!! :)

-Tom

Good luck! The instrument rating is fun and challenging rating. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Good luck! The instrument rating is fun and challenging rating. 

I'm up for either, the fun or challenge, hopefully the "fun" has a slight edge over the other..lol. :) I understand the IFR is the toughest though, but I think I'm ready to give it a try.

-Tom 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

You should try doing it in Florida during the summer like me. Unlike when I did my PPL, which I still look back as one of the best times I've ever had in my life, the IR was hard work but in the end, extremely rewarding.

All this hot flying in the south makes me glad I got my PPL in New England during the fall season....I was also much younger and lets just say slightly more "streamline" when I was in my late 20s early 30s compared to 54 yrs old now.

-Tom

A few days of IFR training done (3 days). Been mixing it up some. Flew a couple of lessons in the Mooney and a couple in the Twin Comanche. Kind of just brushing the rust off VOR work. Working with the steam gauges is the Comanche and then to glass in the Mooney the next day feels strange and takes a few minutes to get my thoughts lined up, but it's coming along. Probably won't be the quickest or most efficient learning process, but at least I'll be able to fly either under IFR situations. Doing radial tracking in and out, climbing and descending turns while changing altitudes to a specific altitude and timed turns. All back to the basics under the hood. The last time I worked VORs this hard was 20+ yrs ago for PP. It is coming back to me though. Flying with modern GPS as a VFR guy with "direct" has spoiled us over the years. Could have used that IFR to get home yesterday. Took the long way around to get home avoiding summer thunderstorms. The bright side was at least I was flying and not stuck on the ground. I'd rather take the long way home than sit and wait looking out the window. I didn't  hit any weather until getting some light rain as I entered the pattern at home.

-Tom

• Like 1

Good luck with the next step, TW!

This will show your limits to multi-taking...

It can be fun to Be overwhelmed in the training environment....

Fortunately, we can slow the plane down and use the AP in real life...  :)

I look forward to your many discussions, questions and realizations....

Keep sharing.

Good luck,

-a-

• Like 1

Good luck! I got my IR in Feb 2018 after putting it off for years. To say it makes you a safer pilot is an understatement. I moved from Portland to Seattle 4 months ago and flew / filed every weekend down and back. So much less stressful wondering if that 1500 - 2000' overcast layer will come up a bit!

• Like 1