QUESTION: M20E Vs M20F

4 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

The dual-mag was the standard for IO-360's (A3B6D and A1B6D) in M20J's out of the factory.  It's only been in the last 10 years or so that Lycoming has been selling new and remanufactured engines with 2 separate mags (A3B6).  There is no difference in power or really any operational difference between them.  There is no difference in official TBO.

snip....

There seems to be a general consensus (myself included) that Slick magnetos, the type used in the A3B6, suck balls in terms of quality and durability compared to the Bendix dual mags.......

@jaylw314 Thank you, that was a clear and helpful answer and one that makes perfect sense.

@Marauder Love the dual Aspen’s, those TAS and GS numbers are very impressive! Between you and @Bob_Belville I think I’m experiencing panel envy. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jpflysdfw said:

@jaylw314 Thank you, that was a clear and helpful answer and one that makes perfect sense.

@Marauder Love the dual Aspen’s, those TAS and GS numbers are very impressive! Between you and @Bob_Belville I think I’m experiencing panel envy. 

Jp, since you’re in Dallas, you can go to Air Salvage of Dallas in Lancaster, and get a good run down on this distributor from a guy called “Lucky.”  He is the guy that the NTSB goes to when they want to learn about accidents.  That is a literal statement I know is true because my sister in law used to work for the NTSB.  He is passionate about maintenance safety.  He can tell you all about the distributor and show you piles of aluminum that are in a wad due to its failure.  You can learn from him what to do to keep this ignition system safe in the event you buy one.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 10:19 AM, KLRDMD said:

Seems the tundra tires would mean you fly with the gear down the whole time, no way those big suckers are going to tuck up into the wheel wells. If the dirt is well maintained, any number of retractable gear airplanes will do just fine there. Cessna gear does tend to be a bit less "robust" than others, though.

Or just get a T- 206, go  slightly slower and don't have to worry about Cessna retract problems.

• Like 1