"SabreCowl" Update

On 7/6/2018 at 9:46 AM, MyNameIsNobody said:

Literally said in first sentence a 4-6 knot speed increase with cowl...

I believe he meant after the ducts were installed, performance difference before and after duct installation. 

Maybe not though?

df

I believe he meant after the ducts were installed, performance difference before and after duct installation. 

Maybe not though?
df

In addition to the side vents, I know they are planning on widening the inlets a bit as well. I’m sure Matt will update us to the new TAS once they have it dialed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 12:28 AM, Mooneymuscle56m said:

Mechanics I’ve spoken with prefer to work on an acclaim, I guess the bravo has a lot attached to the cowling

A couple of ducts that come off easily with cam locs. Add 10 minutes tops to R and R. You must speak to well pampered mechanics

• 2 weeks later...

I flew a short flight today after completely replacing the baffle seals with much heavier rubber. I appear to have excellent sealing all around. The CHTs are fine, one cyl slightly over 360 at its hottest, the rest from 330 to 350+,  the OTemp is better but not great. 215-220F on a day that was 92F on the ground and 79F at 3500'. I suppose that the ambient makes more difference with OT than with CHTs since the delta T is much lower %age wise.

17 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I flew a short flight today after completely replacing the baffle seals with much heavier rubber. I appear to have excellent sealing all around. The CHTs are fine, one cyl slightly over 360 at its hottest, the rest from 330 to 350+,  the OTemp is better but not great. 215-220F on a day that was 92F on the ground and 79F at 3500'. I suppose that the ambient makes more difference with OT than with CHTs since the delta T is much lower %age wise.

Did you buy a kit or free hand it?

Bob and @Sabremech

I really like the cooling I currently enjoy.  This is what I get normally on a 90 degree day on my way to Madison for the Caravan (on number 4 to boot).  .  This year, I have had only one instance of CHTs even approaching 360.

Note - The defective EGT probe on number 2 is being replaced this week.

vlcsnap-2018-08-05-17h39m37s481.thumb.png.66f0cb4ddd6a1e4dd878c9d3b968c340.png

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

...with much heavier rubber...

What material specifically? Spruce? Lowes? McFarland?

I frankly think this may be my problem, the silicone stuff is just too 'floppy'.

<<cue the cockpit humor>>

9 minutes ago, HRM said:

I frankly think this may be my problem, the silicone stuff is just too 'floppy'.

It was something that Lynn had on hand, I don't find it on Spruce though I think it should have come from there. It is fiberglass reinforced and is not slick.

8 hours ago, HRM said:

The textured material on the sides looks like material from Browns Aircraft Supply.

Clarence