Oil change frequency poll.

PTK

A non-scientific poll on engine oil change interval practices  

106 members have voted

1. 1. On what frequency is your engine oil changed?

• q 20 hours or less,
    • q 20 - 30 hours,
    • q 30 - 40 hours,
    • q 40 - 50 hours,
    • q 50 hours,
    • q 4 months regardless of hours,
    • Once a year regardless of hours.
    • q 4 months or 50 hours, whichever comes first,
    • No set calendar and/or hours schedule but when oil on dipstick looks like it needs changing.

I'm curious about different practices out there as to oil change intervals and to see if any correlations can be made. Non-scientific poll simply out of curiosity!

• Like 2

It has changed for us.  We used to change oil when we had gone through a case of oil (6 qts for the change and 6 quarts added during use).  That was usually about 30-35 hours and the oil was black.  We did a top overhaul and now change every 50 hours or 4 months whichever comes first.  At present we have about 35 hours on the oil and have only used 3 quarts.

Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M016576 said:

It works out to be about 25-30 hours for me... but really I change every 4 months or so.  Wish I was flying enough to be worried about the hours on the oil, not the time!

I suspect most of the folks reporting changing oil regularly at <<50 hours are in this boat, the majority of the survey responses. I just changed mine for the first time because of reaching 50 hours at <4 months and felt  some pride in getting to pick that response :P  

The oil and particularly the filter change are a pain - no one wants to do it more than necessary.  

• Like 2

I use to do mine every 35 hours or 4 months but learning more about turbo aircraft, I now do it at 25 hours.

(TSIO-360-SB)

I am flying enough to change it almost every month (or two) so I stopped using the CamGuard.

• Like 2

I change the oil when it is time to add the second quart, generally 25-30 hours. (I add a quart around 12-15 hours, then when it is time to add another quart, I change the oil instead). I've done with is just about every engine I've owned. Although, I have 17 hours since the last oil change and it isn't time to add even the first quart yet,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DXB said:

I suspect most of the folks reporting changing oil regularly at <<50 hours are in this boat, the majority of the survey responses. I just changed mine for the first time because of reaching 50 hours at <4 months and felt  some pride in getting to pick that response :P  

The oil and particularly the filter change are a pain - no one wants to do it more than necessary.  

It’s the screen that’s a pain. Lycoming says to do it at least once a year. 

-Robert 

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

I change the oil when it is time to add the second quart, generally 25-30 hours. (I add a quart around 12-15 hours, then when it is time to add another quart, I change the oil instead). I've done with is just about every engine I've owned. Although, I have 17 hours since the last oil change and it isn't time to add even the first quart yet,

Ken,

which engines do you have?  IO550s?

There is something near magical about the oil use / conservation of some Continental engines...

Best regards,

-a-

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

which engines do you have?  IO550s?

IO-470s. Stock for a B55 Baron. My previous Baron was a Colemill so it had the IO-520s on the same airframe. I kinda prefer the 470s.

• Like 1

I do the change it and let the case run out deal. Ends up around 25-30 hours. I just switched to the Phillips 20w50/cam guard plan from 100w plus. I just wanna see how consumption, iron analysis etc. go using Phillips.  

I try to get it done between 40 and 50 hours. But it winds up being more often than that. I like to have a fresh oil change before a big trip. And I like to do long trips. I think there was less than 20 hours on the oil that I just got changed. But we were leaving for two weeks of flying. I'd I like to start with fresh oil.

I do an oil change at ~50 hrs with filter. I put in 6 quarts and burn another 6 in between then. I fly too much to do it at a smaller interval (I flew 12 hours in a span of 3 days last weekend) and at 2200SMOH I doubt 25hr intervals will extend it much longer versus a 50-hr interval.

• Like 4

I used to do 25 hours in the Acclaim.   Before the top overhaul, I would have to add a couple of quarts during that time.   After the top, I didn’t have to add anything between changes.    Now I’m in the once a year group :)   

Brad.  

• Like 1